Saab 9-7x (GM AWD) Issues

mrhobbz

I'm having a few issues with my Saab 9-7x, the drive/power train is all GM (5.3l LH6, not sure exactly which trans is in it)

One of the issues I found a TSB on but cannot find the actual TSB documents (SB-070417001D) causes a clunk/thump in the rear end at stops and sometimes the drive train binds up (drags?) when reversing, I've typically only seen this while reversing in a turn but the clunk happens quite frequently when moving from red lights.

Oil consumption has been another issue, it's been eating about a quart every 1,500 miles or so. I've heard this is a common issue on these motors and apparently most of the dealers end up doing pistons, rings, lifters, and AFM valves to correct it.

So, anyone with experience on this platform; Should I really worry about these until something breaks?

I'm not sure which engine it has because the 5.3l refers to a V8 but the inline 6 has a 4.2l displacement. So, which engine?

Transmission is likely 4L60E either way. A quart every 1,500 miles is considered within tolerance for a GM; try again when oil consumption is a quart for less than 1,000 miles.

Yeah as far as GM is concerned 1 quart for 1500 miles is normal, if you or I would consider normal doesn't matter that's GM's take, and it's not uncommon. AFM causes lots of stupid issues with varying cylinder temp stuff carboning up and the rings sticking. The latest GM procedures involve making sure the engine has the most updated PCV setup, and then doing a top engine cleaning/soak. Honestly this usually does a good job at reducing consumption, though it doesn't sound like your nearly as bad off as most people. If that doesn't help then it would involve pistons and rings. Sucks for you that its a Saab, because if it were a Chevy GM would likely help you out.

AFM lifters have nothing to do with consumption, when they go bad they typically get stuck in a closed position and the engine misfires. They are controlled by oil flow and can have issues if there is a consumption problem, but it would not be the cause. This is another good reason to not be stingy when it comes to oil changes, and why oil level is important.

As for your driveline clunk thump, that could be a lot of things, the platform sucks, and while I could show you a bulliten that makes it out to be normal, I could show you bullitens that list various noises. So that is something I can't help with across the internet, it could be something, or it really could just be the nature of slack in the driveline. I don't know without inspecting the vehicle and I'm not going to throw guesses across the interwebs.

Oil consumption has been another issue, it's been eating about a quart every 1,500 miles or so. I've heard this is a common issue on these motors and apparently most of the dealers end up doing pistons, rings, lifters, and AFM valves to correct it.

So, anyone with experience on this platform; Should I really worry about these until something breaks?

Only add I can provide is that my GXP has the 5.3l V8 in it and from day one it ate a quart of oil ever oil change. Ended up dumping it after 16k miles for that and other reasons. Dealer warned me when buying it back then that it would eat oil.

If this is an "X" I think he has an ls2 guys.....I hate to see any oil consumption, but usually these eat oil through the PCV system and Getting a catch can doesn't stop the consumption, but it will keep it out of the intake air where it can coat parts and mess with combustion as well. I know a TOn about the TBSS Platform, and Im pretty sure these are almost identical when it comes to the mechanicals under the skin, If you need anything done or looked at, feel free to contact me and I will help you out the best I can.

I'm not sure which engine it has because the 5.3l refers to a V8 but the inline 6 has a 4.2l displacement. So, which engine?

I stated in the first sentence that it has the 5.3L LH6 (v8 vortech motor)

If this is an "X" I think he has an ls2 guys.....I hate to see any oil consumption, but usually these eat oil through the PCV system and Getting a catch can doesn't stop the consumption, but it will keep it out of the intake air where it can coat parts and mess with combustion as well. I know a TOn about the TBSS Platform, and Im pretty sure these are almost identical when it comes to the mechanicals under the skin, If you need anything done or looked at, feel free to contact me and I will help you out the best I can.

They're the same platform for the most part. It doesn't have the 6.0 in it, I don't think the LS2 was even an option until 2008 for the 9-7x.

I drive the thing maybe 100-150 miles a month. I change the oil in all of my vehicles no more than every 3,000 miles. From everyone I've talked to so far I think I'm going to change out the PCV crap, turn off the displacement on demand crap, and change the diff fluids and drive it. Sounds like the worse scenario is even worse oil consumption

Correct that the Aero models offered in 08-09 were the TBSS clones. I didn't realize the 5.3s had AFM, but others have already given you the best ideas to help it. It'll never stop though.

That's what I've been reading. It's been reliable and I haven't had any issues with it and I use it to tow toys (motorcycles and ATVs mainly) and I drive it to Myrtle Beach twice a year. Never left me stranded. I think I'm just going to keep putting oil in it and drive it. Worse case scenario it blows up and I go find a 6.0 pull for it