Automatic, rolling back on hills?

Browning

Will it eventually stop or will it keep rolling until you stop it?

At this point, it's probably either the parking pawl or the tooth is rests on is broke or worn. This generally happens from people who rely on the transmission's "Park" to hold the vehicle in place instead of supplementing it with the, wait for it, Parking Brake. There's a good chance there's nothing else wrong with the transmission. Be sure your parking brake is working properly and I would even consider carrying around a cheap wheel chock for those super hilly parking spots just to be safe.

At least, that's my opinion at this time.

Oh, or trade it for a Vibe w/a stick. ;-)

Depends on the vehicle, but higher stall converters don't transfer as much torque to the wheels at idle and rolling back is the result. My Dad's Avalon rolls back really bad too, and that's why some newer cars come with Hill Start Assist.

Depends on the vehicle, but higher stall converters don't transfer as much torque to the wheels at idle and rolling back is the result. My Dad's Avalon rolls back really bad too, and that's why some newer cars come with Hill Start Assist.

It's annoying. I've been wondering if some thing is wrong since it doesn't do it every time.

This generally happens from people who rely on the transmission's "Park" to hold the vehicle in place instead of supplementing it with the, wait for it, Parking Brake.

the woman does this all the time and it annoys the hell out of me. I had to explain to her what a parking brake's job is.

My Mustang has something like this and it's awesome (it's a 6 speed not auto). If I'm on a hill, put it in first and let off the brake, the brakes are still automatically applied for a couple seconds or until I let off the clutch. I used to hate people stopping right on my ass on a hill and I'd have to be doctor lightning feet so I wouldn't roll back into them.