Outdoor Rifle Ranges Around Columbus

2011SVT

I tend to go to the Delaware outdoor range because it's so freaking cheap, but only 25-100 yards for rifle. Briar Rabbit and Thunder Valley are going to be your longer options that I'm aware of. Or even better, a friend with a decent amount of land.

Delaware is 5 bucks, but you have to buy a pass online and print it (easiest way).

But, allow me to promote briar rabbit for a good all around experience. Briar rabbit has a 400 yd rifle range with berms at every 50 yard increment where you can staple targets to a pallet or hang steel from a crossbar. Shooting steel wins out over shooting paper targets! Also, Delaware has no place to tape/staple targets so you must devise an apparatus at home and bring it with you.

But, more about briar rabbit.... The shooters area is covered and nice and spread out so you can have room to breath. Also, like I said... It's covered! You can shoot in the Rain or snow (I've done both).

Also, briar rabbit had really nice individual pistol ranges that have steel fall-down targets. It's really fun to shoot their pistol targets. And, you get a whole area/lane to yourself (and their are walls between you and other people). The lanes are 30 feet wide, and 40 feet deep, and each have about. 20 steel targets per lane.

Briar rabbit also has trap, skeet, and I think they might also have sporting clays.

Briar rabbit costs 10 bucks an hour or 30 bucks for an unlimited day. Or you can pay 100 for the year and go whenever you want for free (essentially).

When I go, I go to the rifle range for 3-4 hours and then to the pistol range for about an hour... So I deff make a day trip out of it. They open at 9, I usually leave my house in Columbus at about 10, sign in at 11:15, and am shooting within 15 minutes after I hang my steel.

I have bee. To briar rabbit. 21 times since July of last year and all it cost me was 100 bucks. Can't beat it!

I'd love to go this Saturday or Sunday if anyone is interested.

There are two other good ranges in the area but they are a longer drive, Thunder valley is supposed to be nice but it have not been there. And, I hear Rainers (or maybe "Rayners") is great too because they have steel hung out to 1,000 yards... But, I have heard its kind of "by appt".

That's my take on ranges near Columbus that I've been to or heard about. Delaware will bore you within 1 hour and I'm a 4-5 hour shooter. That might satisfy you if all you want to do is shoot for an hour and work on extending out to 100 yards.

I will end with this.. "There's nothing better than shooting at steel"

Does Briar have steel targets or anything for rifle? Do you have to bring your own? $100 for a membership seems like a great deal. You would only have to go for 10 hours in a year to pay it off.

Thanks guys. Briar Rabbit it is. I'm going this Saturday afternoon with some friends.

Question, the frames they mount the steels to - when hooking your chains up, what do you use? (just some steel 's' hooks?)

I went to the outdoor Delaware range on Saturday and the range officer said next year it is undergoing a 5.2 mil expansion and renovation. When done there should be 30 to 40 rifle ranges from 25 to 100 yards, better hand gun area and better clay area. They are also building a shelter house with running water and indoor plumbing for restrooms. It will also be able to be rented for classes. The range areas will be more contained with dedicated lanes that will be covered. A day pass will still be $5. Should be pretty cool come next fall.

We were on the handicapped range on the left if your looking down range about the same time. I just brought my ar and mosin. I had a firebird shirt on. Bummer I did not realize you were there or I would have said hi.

Yup I saw you. That gun was sweet! The guy next to us had an M1 Garand and he let me shoot it. I watched a bunch of d-day specials all weekend so it was pretty cool. Feel free to pm me next time you go. Briar Rabbit is a bit far for me but I'm always up for Delaware, Blackwing or LEPD.