Permit? converting from electric to gas

mrs.cos

So, the city of columbus requires permits for every damn thing under the sun, do i really NEED a permit to convert our furnace system from electric to gas? Installer said they will get it if i wantt hem but, but otherwise they dont usually pull it.

But according to this.. in the scope of work, it shows it needed.

http://columbus.gov/uploadedfiles%5CBuilding_and_Zoning_Services%5CDocument_Library%5CForms%5CFee_Schedule%5CComplete_OSS_Fees_022508.pdf

they will be installing gas lines, swapping out breakers, and installing new Heat/AC

State of Ohio requires all home improvements have a permit and inspection. Even if your local area doesn't enforce it - it is a state of Ohio thing. To be safe, you should get the permit and not have to worry about it.

State of Ohio requires all home improvements have a permit and inspection. Even if your local area doesn't enforce it - it is a state of Ohio thing. To be safe, you should get the permit and not have to worry about it.

The state of Ohio also requires you to not exceed 65mph around 270, do you follow that? They would require you to sign your soul to them if they could get away with it. 75% of the people that have this type of work done do not get permits. The trick is finding a company you can trust to do the work right so that you don't have to. Permits and inspections were designed to "protect the home owner" but in reality is another source of income and a way to tax home owners.

Trish, did you talk to Chic? I remember seeing some type of message written with your name on it.

IANAL (obviously), but here's my thought... if you were just swapping something like a stove or water heater, I'd say have at it, as those sorts of things aren't documented any further than "They exist." A furnace may or may not be documented by a gov't agency, but when I went house shopping last year, gas/electric heat was one of the things that was listed on the MLS docs, so it might be in there somewhere.

In your case, though, it sounds like you're bringing gas in for the first time. In this situation, I'd recommend pulling a permit even if not required, not because of any desire to satisfy the city, but actually to satisfy your homeowner's insurance if something gets toasty. If your house is listed as having all-electric everything, but burns down because something got sucked into the burner and shot up the duct, then lands on the bed sheets, well, I'm sure the insurance company would love to deny the claim based on "This never would have happened had you pulled a permit and had things inspected." Actually told my sister to disallow the request of her new condo's previous owners to "rectify" their FPE electric panel by having dad, "who's a professor at Tri-C!!" replace it. After witnessing some of his other handywork, I'm even more convinced that leaving that dodgy panel in (for now) was the right thing to do.

So, in short, some things are just stupid money grabs. But in others, following the system does make sense. This is, IMHO, one of the latter.

The state of Ohio also requires you to not exceed 65mph around 270, do you follow that? They would require you to sign your soul to them if they could get away with it. 75% of the people that have this type of work done do not get permits. The trick is finding a company you can trust to do the work right so that you don't have to. Permits and inspections were designed to "protect the home owner" but in reality is another source of income and a way to tax home owners.

Trish, did you talk to Chic? I remember seeing some type of message written with your name on it.

I ended up canceling our appointment because we went from just needing plumbing to completely upgrading everything because our 7year old heat pump took a shit. So what went from eventually upgrading to full on conversion because the cost of repairs what over 1/4 of the conversion- which we had planned to do later this year anyways.

We told them to pull the permits.

Thank is for everyone's responses.

Sorry to hear about the added troubles with the heat pump. Getting the permit will ensure the city doesn't cause you additional headaches if they were to find out about the work. I know in pickerington the basic permit is around $25-30 and covers the post inspection. I replaced my water heater (electric) with a like unit and got the permit after the fact. Emergency repair allowed for the repair then permit. I've had neighbors who did the same repair and the city came knocking the old unit was at the curb. Good luck getting it all taken care of!

I ended up canceling our appointment because we went from just needing plumbing to completely upgrading everything because our 7year old heat pump took a shit. So what went from eventually upgrading to full on conversion because the cost of repairs what over 1/4 of the conversion- which we had planned to do later this year anyways.

Oh okay. I didn't hear about you cancelling. What happened to the heat pump? I wish I would have known, I would have been more than happy to come look at the heating for you.