Furniture shopping

TonyG

So we have went to Havertown, Ashley, and Bedrooms first. Haven't been overly impressed with quality. Looking for a bedroom set, any suggestions? Seems like create and barrel, or pottery barn dont have any styles online that we like either.

Furniture shopping like appliance shopping is a joke anymore unless you want to spend a LOT of money. It's all made to be throwaway pieces after a few years. Our nice sectional we bought 7 years ago, the super nice LG washer and dryer we bought 6 years ago that I researched to hell out of to replace our 25year old set from my dad have died and the washer despite being rebuilt last year on LGs dime, is already having the same issues again..

Nothing is made to last anymore. We're a throwaway society.

I suggest Amish furniture

I've dealt with Vic, the owner, at this place for over 30 years: http://www.minervaparkfurniture.com/

I see he's relocating to Sunbury, which is good because his old place in Minerva Park always looked sketchy, although he is actually quite honest and friendly.

He has some very high quality used furniture, but mostly orders new furniture which you pick from catalogues. Most of the bedroom sets he sells are solid wood, although you can see from his online catalogue that he has other types as well. I agree with Trish above that most stuff now is trash after a few years. What Vic sells is not the throwaway type that you see most places. It's pricey, but he discounts heavily. I've purchased Maitland-Smith and Drexel Heritage, used, from Vic.

I second the suggestion to look at some used pieces if you're looking for something well built. I got a full Heywood-Wakefield bedroom set from my grandparents and it is some of the better built furniture I've ever had. I believe they bought it in the 1950's and the stuff seems like it will last forever.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're going to buy furniture and you want it to last, find someone who does it "the old way". Growing up in CT I could never understand why my parents insisted on going to the same dusty old barn for their furniture, but now that I've inherited most of it and it's older than I am, I realize why. The bed frame I bought from Value City is already falling apart after 3 years but my 35 year old dresser is still nearly perfect.

Arhaus?

^^ we like them as well. However, my wife has become a pro at finding high-end/quality items at various consignment shops and used furniture stores.

As trish said, most new stuff is either highly pricey or poor quality or both, thus we put off buying an entire set at one time and instead have found various pieces at different times.

We did buy a nice head/foot board new, but the rest has been as above and has been of very high quality and finishes.

It's not cheap, but these guys make some seriously good quality stuff:

http://www.oakcreationsofmillersport.com/Furniture-Styles---Designs.html

In my later years of highschool my parents bought a complete bedroom suit of their "mission" style oak furniture for me as a gift. I'm confident I will give it to my kids. If I recall they will customize to your tastes and dimensions as well.

I too will be furniture shopping at the beginging of the month. Although, I need to buy everything for a home. I own no furniture whatsoever.

Tim what used furniture stores does your wife frequent? I've been keeping an eye on CL, but it seems like alot of garbage and used squirt pillows.

My wife and I have found some nice stuff at estate sales. Salebyholly.com posts different sales each week. Pictures are posted, but no price or condition of the item beyond what you can see. It is hit or miss as well, but when we find good stuff its nice.

I've dealt with Vic, the owner, at this place for over 30 years: http://www.minervaparkfurniture.com/

I see he's relocating to Sunbury, which is good because his old place in Minerva Park always looked sketchy, although he is actually quite honest and friendly.

He has some very high quality used furniture, but mostly orders new furniture which you pick from catalogues. Most of the bedroom sets he sells are solid wood, although you can see from his online catalogue that he has other types as well. I agree with Trish above that most stuff now is trash after a few years. What Vic sells is not the throwaway type that you see most places. It's pricey, but he discounts heavily. I've purchased Maitland-Smith and Drexel Heritage, used, from Vic.

It's not cheap, but these guys make some seriously good quality stuff:

http://www.oakcreationsofmillersport.com/Furniture-Styles---Designs.html

In my later years of highschool my parents bought a complete bedroom suit of their "mission" style oak furniture for me as a gift. I'm confident I will give it to my kids. If I recall they will customize to your tastes and dimensions as well.

I reccomend both places. I and my family have bought from Vic for years. My parents furnished their whole house from him back in the mid 90's and I bought a bunch of pieces from him for my first place.

The owners of Oak Creations are good family friends of ours. They have high quality pieces and go out of their way to find suppliers who fit their needs.

I second the suggestion to look at some used pieces if you're looking for something well built. I got a full Heywood-Wakefield bedroom set from my grandparents and it is some of the better built furniture I've ever had. I believe they bought it in the 1950's and the stuff seems like it will last forever.

Heywood-Wakefield is great art deco style furniture, just hard to find for a good price.

Amish Originals in Uptown Westerville has nice stuff also.

someone of the medium-end places (bedrooms first, Ashley) need an initial question of "what in the store is real wood that isn't veneered".

That might help to cross off a lot that the store has to offer.

We shopped at bedrooms first. all wood bedroom set with cedar bottom drawers ran us about 3K (bed, dresser, nightstand). That's about as cheap as "good" furniture gets this day and age.