Shipping Large Items or Road Trip? Need Suggestions

thorne

As many of you know I'm moving to Cali very soon and sadly the logistics company has fucked me over on my move (I'm forced to use them) and now I need to figure out a alternate way to get my stuff there.

What I need to move.

2 cars

and random boxes.

Would like to also take a few larger items but honestly depending on the costs of getting them there Id rather replace them.

option1.

Fly back to columbus and drive one of my cars out there packed with stuff and ship the other car. This option doesn't permit me to get my bed or dressers or a few other larger items I'd like to keep.

Option2.

Pay someone to drive one or both of my cars out there with loaded trunks and just buy new stuff. This costs me 2 plane tickets and gas and room and board but also gets my dogs there in a less stressful manner.

Option3.

Rent a Uhual and take my bed and large items and tow one of my cars behind it.

^ This option makes me nervous a little as i've had some bad uhual type experiances

Option4.

A pod maybe? or box my stuff in a create and ship freight?? I dunno

Any ideas would be great..... I also may need to leave a car behind as my wife is back on the hospital and may have to come to cali at a later date.

Why not stuff the boxes in the cars and ship them out?

It'll be cheaper than paying for two plane tickets+gas+time away+food/lodging

So that was my first plan and the shipping companies won't allow it. most of them said i could put up to 100lbs in the trunk and others said nothing.

no matter what its cheaper then my BULLSHIT quote.

They quoted me 13k to move my stuff not including my animals....

So that was my first plan and the shipping companies won't allow it. most of them said i could put up to 100lbs in the trunk and others said nothing.

no matter what its cheaper then my BULLSHIT quote.

They quoted me 13k to move my stuff not including my animals....

:wtf:

Does that include the Lube?

KillJoy

• Downvote 1

:wtf:

Does that include the Lube?

KillJoy

Yeah for real. I called up sirva and I asked them if they were getting kick backs from there "Preffered Vendor" they would not comment and Then I pointed out that they were over 2x as much in most cases. Since I have a 15k budget for moving (LinkedinProvided) they are trying to spend every last penny. I have a feeling I had included my dogs in the quote they would have gave me almost the same pricing..

Scam I've talked to linked in and apparently I'm one of the first few people to use this new method of relocation and I made it very clear that I was unhappy with the results.

If everything you have (minus the cars) could fit in a 53 foot trailer (or less, smaller truck would likely be cheaper) you could send it all on a dedicated shipment. You would have to beat the truck out there (or have a friend there to unload if you know anyone out there already) you could more than likely get that done for a 3rd or less than what you were quoted I bet (depending on the company and if you need a liftgate truck or not). If you go this route, shop around. I could probably provide some names of companies we use at work, but we work from docks so I do not know who would offer liftgate service ob a dedicated shipment.

This FTW.

Much less hassle.

Each of you pack up some crap in the car, and couple pets each and drive out there.

I have sold pretty much everything sans like my ps3 / ps4 / my pc and monitor. Only reason I have not sold these items is the overrall cost.

I don't have time to drive out there I start worrk monday. The issue is that sirva drug things out and now im in a huge pinch.

If you've got a 15k budget give me a 3rd of it and rent a Penske truck and I'll drive it out there and fly home for you. I rented a Penske truck for a week last fall and it was ~$700. Either way moving sucks, good luck with it!

If you've got a 15k budget give me a 3rd of it and rent a Penske truck and I'll drive it out there and fly home for you. I rented a Penske truck for a week last fall and it was ~$700. Either way moving sucks, good luck with it!

Actually my current plan is to put a small trailer behind the SHO and take my boxes out there. I might try to condense what I have left even more but I'm not sure if i can. Were down to family items.

I'd love to ship a few of my items but i think its just going to work better me taking a solo road trip with my dogs.