Jeep 3.7: shit or meh?

PRD2BDF

I'm toying with the idea of getting a suv to replace the Saab. Love the Saab still but could use more space behind the seats. My seat is butted against the rear seat as it is.

I see the grand Cherokees everywhere with the 3.7 and at attractive price. Obviously mileage is shit which is true for nearly every suv out there.

Won't be seriously off-roding or towing heavy loads.

I have an 06 GC with the 4.7 and like someone else said they don't have much room. With my sons car seat in the back the front passenger can't have seat all the way back and that's annoying to me.

Mileage it's get around 19pg and I'm pretty sure the resale value of it isn't as good as something like a Toyota but if your dumb like me you don't give a shit about resale value on your vehicles.

• Upvote 1

My dad has a 07 liberty with the 3.7 and a 6 MT. It only has about 60k on it because he is retired. Other than the power windows it's been a great car. The stick makes it a lot of fun. What are the issues that these normally have?

I know thy 3.7 will sludge if you don't jeep up on the oil changes but many engines do as well. They just don't make good power and it's not a desired motor for strength. It's like the in between motor. I would only buy a 4.0 but haven't seen many bad things about the 3.8 or new 3.6 they are putting in the wranglers now

I know thy 3.7 will sludge if you don't jeep up on the oil changes but many engines do as well. They just don't make good power and it's not a desired motor for strength. It's like the in between motor. I would only buy a 4.0 but haven't seen many bad things about the 3.8 or new 3.6 they are putting in the wranglers now

The 3.8 is extremely under powered when they drop it in a 4,100lb SUV. The 3.6 is a huge improvement

FTFY

Lol, 133k and the trans is still going strong. The body on ours isn't terrible but some tend to rust like hell (assuming those ones aren't really taken care of). The thing has been a tank for us, we have not really had any major problems with it.

You should be able to find a fairly nice Grand w/v8 for $10k. It will just take some looking.

I picked up our fully loaded 05 limited 2 years ago for $15k and it only had 48k miles.

100% agree on the engine breakdown above. Having driven a 3.7 GC, I wouldn't let someone pay me to drive one. I have a buddy with a 4.7 and it is alright, he would always say he wished it had just a bit more power for towing. The 5.7 is more than enough engine for the platform.