A different Kind of Kill story... African Style!

miller11386

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had Gemsbok Lasagna. It was amazing!

FDA does not permit you to bring the meat back. Most hunters simply donate the meat to the camps and the camp staff. They eat EVERYTHING. Intestine, Stomach, all the pieces we throw away in the states. Believe me nothing is wasted on these animals!

We are permitted the skins skulls, and the horns. Those will be air freighted once they are prepared for shipment (dried)

You are extremely under-educated. As much as every one of these animals looks very different from animals here, they are basically like shooting Elk, White tail, and Mule deer. Every animal we took was EXTREMELY common and PLENTIFUL. They literally shoot them daily just to feed people, so its a bonus when they can sell a large trophy animal for over $1000 USD and keep the meat as well. We get the experience of seeing all these animals and eventually the shoulder mounts.

As far as not sharing with the public, there is nothing gruesome or difficult in these photos. No gore, no blood, nothing. Unless you are a complete Vegan, your hamburger went through much more trauma and heartache than these animals have. All were at the end of their life span and had lived full lives. (unlike your 2-3 year old beef cow) They were also taken with very large high powered rifles (300 Winchester magnums) They did not suffer in the slightest. Honestly its much more civil than the natural way they usually die. Sick, on the ground, then shredded by predators or scavengers. So a swift rifle shot is a much more pleasant end IMO. Most collapsed on the spot with an instant kill. The furthest ran all of 35 yards, which was surely on adrenaline.

Great post.

Looks like a great trip.

All these whiners are just increasing the pussifcation of our country and future generations. These kind of countries rely on this kind of tourism. You're helping them and having a good time. The animals are going to die anyhow.

If these were some super endangered asian tiger or africian elephant I'd feel differently, but they aren't.

I'm not a hunter but not offended by it. It sounds like these animals are 'fruitful' in this area and it's no different than someone hunting here in the states.

I agree that these look exotic, but if they aren't, no harm no foul. Sounds like an awesome experience. Again, not my thing, but this doesn't seem like anything out of the norm for these people.

I do not agree with people hunting shit that is endangered.

I agree, at least the above hunting benefited SOMEONE else.

The world is going to shit because people are against killing animals, got it. :dumb:

No the world is going to shit because of war, famine, and stupid politics. When it does you'd better be ready to survive.

I don't think you have to be a treehugger to be against hunting. I'm no fan of it myself, but I don't condemn others who do it. It's just another economy in a part of the world that we Americans have basically been taught to feel bad for.

When I was in Venezuela I stayed with a family whose patriarch was a big game hunter. His study was littered with animal skins, furniture made of taxidermied big game (elephant foot stools) and all kinds of heads on the wall. It was a lot to take in at first and he could sense it. He explained to me exactly how each of those animals was killed, and his son told me how much money had been spent to do it. It was over a million dollars, and nearly ALL of it didn't just go into the local economy, but was also diverted to conservation efforts. The animals he killed were either sick and quarantined or older and going to die soon anyways. That's basically how they run those big game hunts.

Sure, an trophy on a wall may seem ridiculous and eccentric, but if the end result is a boon towards fending off poachers, is it ok? I believe so, but you're entitled to your opinion.

• Upvote 1

Great post.

Looks like a great trip.

All these whiners are just increasing the pussifcation of our country and future generations. These kind of countries rely on this kind of tourism. You're helping them and having a good time. The animals are going to die anyhow.

If these were some super endangered asian tiger or africian elephant I'd feel differently, but they aren't.

Agreed.

Looks like an amazing trip! I went out west last October and got a nice Muley...still waiting on my shoulder mount but hope to have it in the next month or so. Are you going to have the mounts done locally?

-Marc

Some butthurt people in here. muh feelings

Looks like you had a good time OP, thats all that matters.

Super cereal question...

Knowing that you can't function properly in public without a firearm, do you believe that if you lived amongst wild life that you would also have problems functioning without a firearm?

Agreed.

Looks like an amazing trip! I went out west last October and got a nice Muley...still waiting on my shoulder mount but hope to have it in the next month or so. Are you going to have the mounts done locally?

-Marc

We are using a guy who does it on the regular in WI. He is also helping get the animal skins through customs, so he is a big asset to us as he does it all the time.

As I always say, everyone wants to eat the hamburger, not understand where it came from.

All our animals were at the end of their peak time and would have only gone downhill from then. We actually were not permitted to shoot 80% of the animals we had a shot at. They only take mature older animals for two reasons: you get a better trophy, and they are not suitable to breed/remain in the wild. My hartebeest was 8 years old, they live to approx. 10 years in the best scenarios. They usually die of sickness or starvation. I had a shot on a Zebra Stallion, however the PH denied me this shot because without the lead stallion, the family group would suffer. Therefore the safety went back on and we continued on with the hunt.

When I hunt I am very aware of what I am doing and why I am doing it. I am not there to shoot something that is too young (I had several shots on 2-3 year old Kudu that I would not take) nor do I want an animal to suffer. That is why I spend hours at the range and made sure that whatever I took would not suffer. I also do not wish to not utilize the game. We all were very adamant that we did not want to waste anything, and they proved to us that even things that we normally discard are utilized there. I was very happy to know this.

Bottom line, a 300 WSM 180 grain bullet directly to the heart and imploding the lungs meant he did not suffer one bit. I do not feel bad about it in the same way I do not feel bad taking a mature 4-5 year old whitetail here in Ohio. The animal has lived most of its life, and would only suffer/starve/fall prey to brutal predators if left in the wild.

2011:

558583_10100418251722382_152447932_n.jpg

2012:

305560_10100476630171502_555675730_n.jpg

Meanwhile, in America...

(Warning: far more graphic and inhumane than OP's pics.)

Bet most people won't watch all of these all the way through.

OP, glad you had a good time. Glad you got to help the local community and provide much needed food for the families you worked with. Glad you're back safe.

Wow, I never would have expected some of these posts! I grew up in bum fuck Minnesota and hunted every weekend. I loved upland game hunting more than anything. I gave it up when I moved to Ohio, because people basically ruined the entire landscape for supporting any sort of upland game. I guess back in the 70s, pheasant, quail and Partridge were plentiful, but with mowing of the ditches along roads combined with chemicals everywhere and the almighty dollar to grow as much freaking crops as possible, there are no birds left. I never thought we'd come to a day when people have no clue of what the world did for thousands of years to get it meat, before we put them in tiny, tiny cages with no room to move. I guess if you never see the cages it's all good.

Wow, I never would have expected some of these posts! I grew up in bum fuck Minnesota and hunted every weekend. I loved upland game hunting more than anything. I gave it up when I moved to Ohio, because people basically ruined the entire landscape for supporting any sort of upland game. I guess back in the 70s, pheasant, quail and Partridge were plentiful, but with mowing of the ditches along roads combined with chemicals everywhere and the almighty dollar to grow as much freaking crops as possible, there are no birds left. I never thought we'd come to a day when people have no clue of what the world did for thousands of years to get it meat, before we put them in tiny, tiny cages with no room to move. I guess if you never see the cages it's all good.

Bingo.

I won't eat meat unless I know it's been tortured from the day it opens its eyes til the day it's on my plate