A different Kind of Kill story... African Style!

miller11386

I had a great time on vacation in Sunny Namibia. It was approximately 30 hours of travel one way to get to the other side of the planet. It was exciting to see the animals we only see in Zoo's in the states out in the wild.

With the increased wind in August, hunting was tough. I tracked Zebra for 3+ days, but was unsuccessful. We didn't even get a chance to look for a Kudu. I did end up getting a Red hartebeest that I was excited to take!

10518968_10101270777034822_6544475528380212647_n.jpg?oh=dc92e33f695778ba03fc91be54e1e61b&oe=5476932F&__gda__=1417255849_f83078e4459830f34fd37b8cbefd354e

My friend Luke took this nice Gemsbok Bull:

10547600_10101272687940352_5393438846468855581_n.jpg?oh=fd27e6428f573bd4ef7f83f20092c48b&oe=546F93E2&__gda__=1417276317_5681d801134dae159a6a8c8c203d78b9

My friend Ray also took a Gemsbok Bull the following day:

10600387_10101274028613632_3826574956195225369_n.jpg

As well as this huge 53+"blue wildebeest the following day:

10577211_10101275035615592_2866961863594819433_n.jpg

I was fortunate to get this blue wildebeest hunt on video!

Finally on the last day, we all hunted in a blind for the last 4 hours of hunting... laughing, joking, and having an amazing time. To our surprise, Impala came in and Matt and Luke were able to take 2 at the same time! All caught on video... including the story after :)

Hope you enjoyed reading about my experience to Namibia!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine you couldn't bring all that meat back to the states with you, how's that work? You sell it locally and ship back other parts through customs or just take your memories? Edited by RyM3rC
TANKS KLAY

Sad to see hunting becoming socially unacceptable, don't you guys eat meat? Killing animals, oh my god, I don't hunt but I'm proud to be a carnivore.

Hunting to feed your family because you have no other choice is a necessity.

Flying around the world to shoot animals because it's "fun" is another thing all together.

Wow! That's amazing to see those animals up close. Did you didn't dine on Gemsbok steaks the following night?

EDIT: LOL @ Aaron wishing you grabbed a heaping helping of Ebola on your travels. :lol:

We had Gemsbok Lasagna. It was amazing!

I'd imagine you couldn't bring all that meat back to the states with you, how's that work? You sell it locally and ship back other parts through customs or just take your memories?

FDA does not permit you to bring the meat back. Most hunters simply donate the meat to the camps and the camp staff. They eat EVERYTHING. Intestine, Stomach, all the pieces we throw away in the states. Believe me nothing is wasted on these animals!

We are permitted the skins skulls, and the horns. Those will be air freighted once they are prepared for shipment (dried)

yeah, I'm having a difficult time with this post ...

every african animal looks like some exotic/endangered species ...

I'm under-educated here but would probably not share this to a general audience...

You are extremely under-educated. As much as every one of these animals looks very different from animals here, they are basically like shooting Elk, White tail, and Mule deer. Every animal we took was EXTREMELY common and PLENTIFUL. They literally shoot them daily just to feed people, so its a bonus when they can sell a large trophy animal for over $1000 USD and keep the meat as well. We get the experience of seeing all these animals and eventually the shoulder mounts.

As far as not sharing with the public, there is nothing gruesome or difficult in these photos. No gore, no blood, nothing. Unless you are a complete Vegan, your hamburger went through much more trauma and heartache than these animals have. All were at the end of their life span and had lived full lives. (unlike your 2-3 year old beef cow) They were also taken with very large high powered rifles (300 Winchester magnums) They did not suffer in the slightest. Honestly its much more civil than the natural way they usually die. Sick, on the ground, then shredded by predators or scavengers. So a swift rifle shot is a much more pleasant end IMO. Most collapsed on the spot with an instant kill. The furthest ran all of 35 yards, which was surely on adrenaline.

Congratulations on shooting a feeding animal with a high powered rifle.

Right. its just that easy! Same way hunters shoot feeding white tail. Its a cake walk.

Hunting to feed your family because you have no other choice is a necessity.

Flying around the world to shoot rare animals because it's "fun" is another thing all together.

It was a chance to experience culture outside the US. You would get an education there. For example, its still extremely racially divided. things we have in plenty like clean drinking water and food are not a given thing there either.

Yes we took some animals, but it was far less wasteful than your butcher shop. We also were able to help employ several people for a week. This is a huge portion of Namibia's gross national product.

Sad to see hunting becoming socially unacceptable, don't you guys eat meat? Killing animals, oh my god, I don't hunt but I'm proud to be a carnivore.

No one wants to know where their hamburger comes from these days. Everything is too PC.

I left out the Gnarly photos for that reason alone. Surprised to see these simple shots are so widely offensive

I bet that was an awesome experience. I always wanted to hunt with someone experienced and grill the animal at home. It is nice to know that all the meat will be consumed by the locals. That probably would've happened anyways without you being there :)

To the others who disapprove you are really being closed minded. In all honesty if you eat any kind of meat in your diet you should have zero issues hunting and killing an animal. If you have a problem you should become a vegan.

Namibia is an amazing country, the landscapes are very unique. My dad was born in Windhoek when it was still part of South Africa, and I had the chance to visit Swakopmund. The German culture mixed with all the African cultures and unique scenery is amazing to experience.

I'm not a fan of hunting, but these animals aren't exactly rare. This was most likely done on a private farm, where the animals are bread to be hunted. Too bad you didn't get a kudu, not only are the horns awesome trophies, but the meat is actually really good.

My brother shot a Gemsbok and Rooibok in 2010 in SA and had the meat processed and shipped over, and also had the heads taxidermied and shipped over.

see below

Congratulations on shooting a feeding animal with a high powered rifle.

agreed, fight it with your hands, or you're a pussy

It was a chance to experience culture outside the US. You would get an education there. For example, its still extremely racially divided. things we have in plenty like clean drinking water and food are not a given thing there either.

Yes we took some animals, but it was far less wasteful than your butcher shop. We also were able to help employ several people for a week. This is a huge portion of Namibia's gross national product.

What beautiful culture....BANG. I SHOT IT, WOOOHOOO.

Facepalm

Killing to eat is fine, but killing for sport so you can hang a head on a wall is in bad taste.

this

The fact that you shipped the skulls back as a trophy, says it all.

Killing to eat is fine, but killing for sport so you can hang a head on a wall is tuurrible...

we killed ate and shipped the horns home.

if FDA permitted shipping back I would have. However with disease the way it is, it is extremely cost prohibitive to ship, and its difficult to keep it suitable for consumption in transit.

We were very happy to feed our trackers, skinners and their families. They only make ~ $150 a month, so the food was very much appreciated. They also appreciated the tips we gave them and the pay they received due to us hunting at the camp. This is their lively hood.

we killed ate and shipped the horns home.

if FDA permitted shipping back I would have. However with disease the way it is, it is extremely cost prohibitive to ship, and its difficult to keep it suitable for consumption in transit.

We were very happy to feed our trackers, skinners and their families. They only make ~ $150 a month, so the food was very much appreciated. They also appreciated the tips we gave them and the pay they received due to us hunting at the camp. This is their lively hood.

I'm really just jumping on the band wagon for the lulz.

It's not my thing but I'm not going to join some protest or chain myself to a tree over it.

The animal got eaten, the skull wasn't going to get used for much else. Don't see the big issue here. The way I see it, its a win win, he had fun, some people got fed, and the circle of life continues.

Let's just agree to disagree.

The animal got eaten, the skull wasn't going to get used for much else. Don't see the big issue here. The way I see it, its a win win, he had fun, some people got fed, and the circle of life continues.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Exactly. This happens regardless if people come pay for it or not. The fact is they made a few bucks and got the food as well.

In a country that literally has only manual slave labor type jobs for most, this is a hell of a deal. Our trackers were doing this for over 10 years. the PH's were 10 and 15 year veterans. Hunting and tourism is something like 30-40% of their national revenue.

I don't see how this compares with killing a rodent like a raccoon, you guys keep living in your holes, and hopefully the world doesn't go to shit in our lifetime.

I agree, at least the above hunting benefited SOMEONE else.

The world is going to shit because people are against killing animals, got it. :dumb: