Propane for the winter

Mojoe

I really haven't followed pricing at all, but knew to top off before it gets cold. I ordered mine today at the price of $1.74 a gallon. Propane is our back up and in two winters, we have used 175 gallons. I heat the shop, run the generator, and have a propane fire place in the house for back up heat.

Over all, this is just a reminder post for those needing to get propane. We all know once it's cold, the price jumps.

I was offered to pay ahead for what I expect to use, at $1.92 a gallon. I don't think this is terrible in comparing last winters pricing and availability. I heard people paying $4 a gallon last winter. That's $2000 to fill a 500 gallon tank. F that!

I think I burned about 100 gal last year total. I'm not planning to get my tank topped off this year as I want to replace the Propane company owned tank with one that I buy and own. That way I can shop around each year and not be locked into a single company.

I only use about 250 gallons a year as I heat primarily with wood. I filled up in late june at $1.69. If I remeber correctly pre-buy was in the mid $1.90 range. I never buy enough to pre-buy so I don't pay close attention. It was crazy last winter. I know people that had there tanks run out when there carrier didnt have enough the propaine to deliver any.

• 2 months later...