Help me buy a car this week.

Lauren

I'm guessing the budget is 15k based on the cars chosen ^^^

That's just the initial buy in, the cars he's looking at could cost him a LOT more in repairs and upkeep. If he can't afford more, I'm guessing he can't afford a $4k-5k repair bill either. So depending on his budget, no chance I'd buy a used 5-series with 70k+ miles outside of warranty....nope!

I'd recommend a car that's 5 or 10-years newer and less cost in overall ownership. Like a Passat, Camry, Accord, TSX, etc...

Now if he's paying cash for the car and can do all the maintenance, repairs, etc. himself then by all means find a clean 5-series, A4, whatever... ;)

I am a little biased, but I would recommend the lowest mileage 4 Runner you can afford and drive it for the rest of your life if you wish. Plenty of kid space...and the rear windows roll down for the pup. Downside may be the truck ride if you are not into that....and mpgs

I vote for Ridgeline as well. I'm actually selling an '03 540i and as beautiful, luxurious, and fun as they are, I will never own a newer'ish (2000+) BMW again that is out of warranty. At least as my primary transportation. Even though you can fix it yourself, you DO NOT want it as your Daily Driver. You will almost ALWAYS have something to fix on it. I thought the exact same thing and always had to work on it. I already have a '95 M3 that is a project car for fun. I didn't need a daily driver that was a project as well. Just because you can afford it and can work on it yourself, doesn't mean you should.

So if you still have the chance, I recommend rethinking it. Otherwise you will be spending your time fixing it rather than spending time with your new family.