Seeking sponsors for the Ohio Valley Rally 2014

Doc1647545523

As some of you know, I've entered the Ohio Valley Rally 700 October 10-12. Every year, Rally North America chooses a charity to benefit from the event, instead of having prizes for the winners. This year the course takes us through southern Ohio and West Virginia.

Over the last five years, CR has had great representation at the Rally North America events and has had numerous podium finishes. This year it's just Robochan and me representing. We're taking the FT86BRZScionSuburuFRSToyotaGT86. Pics to come later in the thread when we sticker up the car.

For the second year, the Epilepsy Foundation of Western Ohio will be the beneficiary.

The RNA summer rally had Matt Farah from Smoking Tire/ iDrive along: here's a video to give you the feel of the rallys:

We are asking our friends (who are comfortable donating) to make an online donation through our page: http://ov700.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1117988&lis=1&kntae1117988=FDB4300CC0AA405FA5D9D8B03F24F9A8&supId=411225026 Click on the blue button "GIVE NOW" on the right-hand side of the page. Donations are tax-deductable and you're emailed a receipt for tax purposes within about an hour.

Your donation goes directly to the Foundation; none of it goes to the Rally or to our team. We are donating our time and paying all our own expenses (of course, we have a lot of fun in return, too).

We're asking businesses to donate $100, and at that level we'll put your business advertising on our rally car.

Any donation from individuals, even $10, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/driverside_zpsb1b377da.jpg

Less than a week away, and Team CR is in 14th place (in a field of 50 teams) in fundraising. :(

But I'm confident that if we make our team goal of $1,000, we'll be in one of the top five positions for the start of the rally. It's not too late to donate. Just follow the link in post #1. Even a $10 donation will be much appreciated. All donations go entirely to the charity and you're emailed a receipt for taxes.

Thanks in advance for your support.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/rear_zps26a20f5a.jpg

Many thanks to old friends Farkas and Jim Rose. Your gifts were very generous.

Mike Murphy, WOW! You're a CR member for a couple of weeks and you stepped up with a donation. Thank you. I'm impressed. And after all the terrible things I've been saying about you ......

To CR sponsors Wheel Medic, Bruce Hill (HER realtor), Lora (Coldwell Banker realtor), and Derek at Best One, many thanks for your ongoing support and sentiments.

Ben, thanks for your support as well. Stretch, thanks for your support and the compliments. My co-driver Chandler did 90% of the decal work. Since this is my 7th rally, the novelty of applying and later removing stickers has diminished for me. ;)

Today's flurry of donations has moved Team CR up to 6th in the field of 50. We've raised $735 of our $1000 goal. So far the rally has raised $21,000 for the Epilepsy Foundation of Western Ohio.

A heartfelt thanks to you all.

Thank you, Will. Very generous of you.

The Ohio Valley Rally stays close around Ohio. This year I think we'll only be in Ohio and West Virginia, 700 miles total, all done in one weekend.

I used to see other short rallies in Ohio, but to my knowledge, they are no longer running.

Also, the big summer Rally North America event is being shortened. Last summer's US 50 Rally was a bit long for many people. The 2015 "big summer" rally will be in the Smokey Mountains and will last from July 13-16 (Knoxville to Savannah).

I believe it is Thursday midnight to count for our team. However, the Foundation would accept donations at any time.

The cars are positioned according to their fundraising. The highest fundraiser takes the first spot and starts the rally first. Second highest next, and so on.

Aaron, thank you for the generous donation. It puts us in easy reach of the $1,000 goal. We're holding our own at 6th place in a field of 50.

It was great having you and Jess competing in Rally Dixie. That rally had a great showing by Columbus Racing, and there were seven podium finishers from CR, all rookies!

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/Rally%202012/winners.jpg

I hope you and your wife can make it on the Smoky Mountain Rally in 2015.

Well, CR really came through. http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/emoticons/party0024.gif

Sean (Crossle), Bob (DTA09), and Tom (GRN96WS6) -- you've put us over our goal. We've raised $1,055 so far.

There's still time to donate and become part of the team. Many thanks for the kind words and support from Columbus Racing. :)

I'll make a thread after we return giving updates and a rally report with photos.

Thank you, Brad. I consider any amount generous ..... I even appreciate the people who wish us well but aren't comfortable contributing any money. We're all in different circumstances.

This charity hits close to home on a number of levels. Cody Converse, whose name is on the rally, had epilepsy but that didn't diminish his enthusiasm for cars, driving, and rallying. He became friends with Scott Spielman (Spieldawg on CR, one of the founders of Rally North America) and had been looking forward to participating in a Rally North America event after he turned 18. Cody died in January of 2013 just a few months short of reaching that goal. His cause of death was determined to be SUDEP, a poorly understood cause of death in those with epilepsy. His family requested that memorial contributions be made to the Epilepsy Foundation of Western Ohio. Scott then put together this Ohio Valley "mini-rally" in 2013 and named it after his friend Cody, with proceeds to benefit epilepsy services and research.

Chandler, my co-driver, noted when he was putting the rally stickers on the car that he was born the same year as Cody Converse. The coincidence drives home the point that these "car guy things" that we all do routinely -- drag racing, car shows, autocross, rallies -- these are things that others dream about, but may never achieve. Maybe they are held back by dire circumstances, overwhelming obligations, physical limitations, or in Cody's case an untimely death.

We need to appreciate that we are truly "living the dream" and be thankful for that opportunity and work towards sharing our enjoyment with others.,

Chandler, my co-driver, noted when he was putting the rally stickers on the car that he was born the same year as Cody Converse. The coincidence drives home the point that these "car guy things" that we all do routinely -- drag racing, car shows, autocross, rallies -- these are things that others dream about, but may never achieve. Maybe they are held back by dire circumstances, overwhelming obligations, physical limitations, or in Cody's case an untimely death.

We need to appreciate that we are truly "living the dream" and be thankful for that opportunity and work towards sharing our enjoyment with others.,

Even though i will never know Cody i have thought about him this entire week. It really put into perspective how lucky i am to be able to enjoy this car hobby. I hope this rally makes a beneficial impact helping people in some way. Thank you to everyone who has donated.