Best Penetrating Lubricants to use - Yes, this is safe for work

bmwohio

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But I use liquid wrench much more often now (sold at Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc).

Machinist’s Workshop Mag™ recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found

very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for

break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective

test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a

“scientifically rusted” environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*

None ........................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note

the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer

thinner 50 - 50 mix.

*AFT=Automatic Transmission Fluid

• Upvote 1

Not the cheap stuff. ex had some that was like 98% pure however.

I used it and her frilly cotton swabs for removing thermal paste all the time.

I believe you need a license to buy the good stuff. My mom did nails professionally for a while and she would always get it from sallys. She had to show them her license in order to buy it.

I believe you need a license to buy the good stuff. My mom did nails professionally for a while and she would always get it from sallys. She had to show them her license in order to buy it.

wife says you don't need a license for the acetone. They give a discount for licensed professionals.

• 4 weeks later...