400 ex rebuild

Ryan218

Picked up a 01 400 ex on Saturday night for pretty cheap and got a title with it. Smokes real bad. Going to do a bigger bore kit on it. Was thinking 440

But has been recommended to me to do the 416 kit. Best place to order parts for? New to the atv world. Still hashing things out with ford so this is my new passing time project.

Leaks fuel from the carb as well. Need to grab a rebuild kit for the carb as well.

Also any pointers? Never messed with a smaller motor like this. Any special tools I'll need to get to do this?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-28.jpg

My cousin has one with the 440 kit and it is a blast to ride. The amount of tq it makes in the entire rpm range makes it fun for what ever. As far as tools for the motor are pretty simple. Just get a manual with all of your specs and you should be golden. The Honda motors are pretty good at taking abuse.

I had a 400EX that was pretty wicked. I didn't do the 440 kit because I rode it a lot all year and from what I was told the 440 can run hot if you do a lot of warm weather riding. No matter what you do to it that bike is fast. I wish I would've kept mine. I sold it instead of my 350 Warrior because the Warrior has reverse.