Ebola hits the US

Orion

An interesting thought on flight restrictions...

1-People are scared about ebola.

2-People want to leave affected areas.

3-At the moment people generally leave by normal routes with customs etc. This provides logs of where they were and who they were in contact with.

4-Closing air traffic and port traffic will just make those wanting to leave desperate. People flee across illegal border crossing sites as a result.

5-The infection spreads faster to surrounding areas and is harder to trace epidemiologically.

-That is why closing emmigration is a bad idea.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that 50% of West Africans? or 50% of Americans?

Africans are left in a hut to fend for themselves. I would gather most die as a result of dehydration. Just speculation.

Americans tough it out in a monitored hospital room with daily labwork drawn, IV fluids, telemetry, and multiple ways to combat hyperthermia. There's a big difference.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-diagnosed-in-second-dallas-nurse-105542930.html

Looks like those cats in Texas slept though the CDC's best practices video on how to deal with this mess :lolguy:

I'm sure its nothing but unfounded fear still right? I mean we went from 0 cases in the US to how many now with one death?

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-diagnosed-in-second-dallas-nurse-105542930.html

Looks like those cats in Texas slept though the CDC's best practices video on how to deal with this mess :lolguy:

I'm sure its nothing but unfounded fear still right? I mean we went from 0 cases in the US to how many now with one death?

3 cases. 1 death was a complete fuck up.

3 cases. 1 death was a complete fuck up.

From a media standpoint I find the buzz around all of this entertaining.

America has ADD and forgets important stuff. Right now the big scary EBOLAAAAAA monster will get you, forget about all the other issues, OH LOOK A PONY

From a media standpoint I find the buzz around all of this entertaining.

America has ADD and forgets important stuff. Right now the big scary EBOLAAAAAA monster will get you, forget about all the other issues, OH LOOK A PONY

More like.. "oh look, the US is giving isis weapons and armament."

A lot of traffic on this thread. I'm surprised that such a high percentage of CR has wifi in their backwood bugout shelters. But then again how are you going to stay updated with out foxnew.com :lol:

Srsly though i'm really surprised how health care workers are freaking out on social media. People i've either worked with or went to school with. I should clarify, nurses not my fire/ems guys. I'm kind of disappointed that professionals are letting the hype go their heads. Making a joke to a female nurse about ebola is probably 10 fold more hazardous to your health than the virus is right about now.

Perhaps medical professionals are freaking out because they are realizing they don't understand Ebola as well as they think they do. Nurse got it through "breach of protocol", but they don't know what protocol was "breached." Meanwhile CDC still doesn't know how they want to approach this nationally. Impression I got from NPR story this morning is the cdc is in a frenzy of sorts.

Perhaps medical professionals are freaking out because they are realizing they don't understand Ebola as well as they think they do. Nurse got it through "breach of protocol", but they don't know what protocol was "breached." Meanwhile CDC still doesn't know how they want to approach this nationally. Impression I got from NPR story this morning is the cdc is in a frenzy of sorts.

My take is that fire/ems guys have already accepted that there is risk in the job. Often times that inherent risk involves injury or death. It's part of the job & you learn about it when you 1st step foot into the academy and you will constantly hear about it until you retire. You take as many precautions, stay educated and train but its impossible to know exactly what you're dealing with in a fire or EMS situation.

Nurses on the other hand operate in a "controlled environment" where they feel pretty safe. Nurses really dont enter into the field thinking they'll get hurt or killed. Couple that with the idea of "what was once adequate protection is seemingly less than adequate" and thats where the panic comes in?

The real question...where's Tilley patented psychological breakdown of the panic over ebola.

If one believes the media (I mean, who wouldn't these days?) then there was constantly changing protocol for the Texas Ebola patient. Ideally even nurses need some form of hazard suits that can be washed off with bleach to deal with this virus... protective gowns and facemasks are not enough.

The real question...where's Tilley patented psychological breakdown of the panic over ebola.

I'm not seeing the traffic here or anywhere as a panic over Ebola. I see the media hyping it up of course; nothing new there.

What I do see is several healthcare workers that were in contact with an ebola patient that are dumber than shit for traveling on cruises and planes with any apparent concern for others. I also see a system that is telling people not to worry without a full understanding of things to warrant such a statement, especially given this is like an episode of the keystone cops.

If you had asked me several days or a week ago where i stood on the issue it was towards the "I dont give a shit, its not going to happen to me" side. I am slowly moving towards the "Maybe i should care. im starting to get a bit worried" side.

All Ebola patients in the central Ohio area no matter which hospital they walk into (if there are ever any) will be transferred to the Empty Bone Marrow Transplant Recovery area at OSU. 11 negative pressure beds designed to keep Bone Marrow transplant patients in a safe and sterrile enviroment so they don't get sick, because their immune system is compromised after the transplant. Protocol will be exactly what Emory in ATL does, as it is proven to be effective.

All Ebola patients in the central Ohio area no matter which hospital they walk into (if there are ever any) will be transferred to the Empty Bone Marrow Transplant Recovery area at OSU. 11 negative pressure beds designed to keep Bone Marrow transplant patients in a safe and sterrile enviroment so they don't get sick, because their immune system is compromised after the transplant. Protocol will be exactly what Emory in ATL does, as it is proven to be effective.

Partially true.

The first five patients go to Wright-Patterson.

The second five go to OSU.

The 3rd set goes to Grant (the unit I work in).

If Grant starts getting Ebola patients, that's not good.

Protocol is changing daily on tackling this. Grant is in close contact with the CDC in regards to what should be done should this get worse. Consensus is that the Dallas hospital was very ill-prepared for this (not really their fault).

They are going to start putting us (those who volunteered for the 'response team') through training starting Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming weak.

They are going to start putting us (those who volunteered for the 'response team') through training starting Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming weak.

Ebola meets CR; the end of life as we know it ;)

Good for you for stepping up.

Partially true.

The first five patients go to Wright-Patterson.

The second five go to OSU.

The 3rd set goes to Grant (the unit I work in).

If Grant starts getting Ebola patients, that's not good.

Protocol is changing daily on tackling this. Grant is in close contact with the CDC in regards to what should be done should this get worse. Consensus is that the Dallas hospital was very ill-prepared for this (not really their fault).

I was informed of this on Thursday, as this stuff is changing a lot, when was your info?