good home defense gun

The_buster

Ok. Three of the houses around us have been broken into within the last couple months. The wife was thinking we should get something so we can protect ourselves if something were to happen. What are some good ideal guns? I don't want anything crazy like an AR or anything like that, just something that both she and I can use. Of course we will be getting professional training before we buy anything. A guy at work said a shotgun, but I was thinking something less messy/ deadly if that makes sense. I really would rather not kill someone unless ultimately necessary obviously. I've never shot a handgun, my dad has all rifles/shotguns and a muzzle loader. The only gun we have in the house is a bb air rifle and a bb pistol that looks like a real hand gun but is so old its seized up where it opens for the co2 cartridge.

And again we would be getting training before we do anything.

Wtf, you want a gun to protect yourself and family but don't want to kill the person who is going to pose a threat to you? Your right shoot them with a BB gun and maybe some mace, when they decide to let you know how a .45 round feels let me know.

Mossberg 500/ cheap, dead reliable and gets the job done

Ok. Three of the houses around us have been broken into within the last couple months. The wife was thinking we should get something so we can protect ourselves if something were to happen.

Get a good alarm. Monitoring is like $35-$45 per month. IMO get an exterior siren and strobe light on the front porch too. Well worth it. No one is going to stick around while sirens inside and out are going off and the strobe light is there to notify LEO and really is nice if you have a need for fire or medics.

Keep the exterior well lit too. CFL's cost pennies to run anymore. Our house is lit up like the Capital Building at night. Motion lights with damn bright flood lights will add to the charm if you walk near it too. :) Lastly, motion sensors carefully positioned will give you a heads up when someone is near. Ours go off with 1-4 chimes like a door bell depending on which zone you set off. Dogs will go crazy, I will prepare, motion lights will come on and the rest will get interesting if a door or window gets hit.

What are some good ideal guns? I don't want anything crazy like an AR or anything like that, just something that both she and I can use. Of course we will be getting professional training before we buy anything. A guy at work said a shotgun, but I was thinking something less messy/ deadly if that makes sense. I really would rather not kill someone unless ultimately necessary obviously.
IMO, if you aren't going to kill an intruder then don't get a gun. Others will chime in I'm sure, but you don't pull a gun to scare someone and you don't shoot to injure. For home defense, a 12 or 20 gauge is ideal.

I've never shot a handgun, my dad has all rifles/shotguns and a muzzle loader. The only gun we have in the house is a bb air rifle and a bb pistol that looks like a real hand gun but is so old its seized up where it opens for the co2 cartridge.
Keep the pellet/BB guns away and use them for varments and target plinking fun.

And again we would be getting training before we do anything.
Call / PM Joe, get your CCL training and talk to him about firing one of his many guns while there. In the mean time, pick up a couple cans of Fox 5.1 pepper spray.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure/hoping that if it came down to it I could shoot to kill. But that being said, I couldn't kill a rabbit that was 5 feet from me the one and only time I went hunting, and I was 15... :( I can kill mice and small annoying birds but that's about it.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure/hoping that if it came down to it I could shoot to kill. But that being said, I couldn't kill a rabbit that was 5 feet from me the one and only time I went hunting, and I was 15... :( I can kill mice and small annoying birds but that's about it.

I wouldn't pull a gun on someone unless I was 100% sure I could shoot to kill.

Get some training and buy a shotgun. The noise from racking the slide will be enough to make most intruders run the other way. And the ones that don't run are crazy and are there to hurt you or your family. Shotgun does the most damage with the least skill needed. (IMHO). Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Downvote 1

Get some training and buy a shotgun. The noise from racking the slide will be enough to make most intruders run the other way. And the ones that don't run are crazy and are there to hurt you or your family. Shotgun does the most damage with the least skill needed. (IMHO). Good luck with whatever you choose.

The racking is the worst thing you can do. Give away your're position in a heart beat. Surprise is the best tactic you have against an intruder.

The problem I've found with having a shotgun for home defense is unless you're some hillbilly who likes guns laying around, they're stored in a closet or safe somewhere. Mine is stored in my bedroom closet. If somebody tries breaking in while I'm in bed, running from the front door up to my bedroom is a shorter distance than me rolling out and getting into my closet. Point is, I'd rather have a handgun in my dresser or something.

Start searching here, it's the Craigslist of weapons/ammo. That's a link to the handgun section for Ohio. When you find something in your price range, post it up here and the gun nuts will give you their 2¢ on it. Get with Mojoe about possibly getting your CCW, or at least some basic familiarization.

Well if you are having second thoughts about shooting someone why even make the thread?

I'd buy a good name brand, not some Chinese made Hi-Point that all the dumbfuck thugs use. I plan on buying a Glock 17 for home defense. Dead nuts reliable and they are chambered in 9mm so ammo will always be around. I wouldn't use anything less than 9mm for home defense, I know a lot of other people will feel differently but that is all preference. Another good one is a Walther PPX, I bought it to carry, but they make excellent nightstand guns as well. 500+ rounds of different manufacturers ammo through it and not a single hiccup. New they are like $500? Used I got mine with maybe 2 magazines through it for $400 OTD.

Whatever you do just don't cheap out on some Chinese junk that shoots .22. If you do, you might as well stick to using the BB gun.

I know lots of people say shotgun, but of the guns I have, IMO its the one I feel least safe with and thats due to the stupid design of the safety on the Remington 870. I'm gonna get around to either removing it or marking it better or something someday. Otherwise I also feel as brian does on shotguns.

That said. Try a few different types, do reading, watch youtube vids. Bottom line is any gun is better than no gun so get one you'll enjoy shooting and owning and learn it well.

The alarm is a great idea if you live near police and they will for sure get there in minutes. That will at least let the bad guys know they only have minutes to kill you and get out.

Oh and don't put the gun where you can't use it and unloaded. You just gave the bad guys a free gun. IMHO having a gun for home defense is a life style change as well in order to maximize the effectiveness of the gun's role. Otherwise its just another gadget to get stolen or misused someday.

The problem I've found with having a shotgun for home defense is unless you're some hillbilly who likes guns laying around, they're stored in a closet or safe somewhere. Mine is stored in my bedroom closet. If somebody tries breaking in while I'm in bed, running from the front door up to my bedroom is a shorter distance than me rolling out and getting into my closet. Point is, I'd rather have a handgun in my dresser or something.

Start searching here, it's the Craigslist of weapons/ammo. That's a link to the handgun section for Ohio. When you find something in your price range, post it up here and the gun nuts will give you their 2¢ on it. Get with Mojoe about possibly getting your CCW, or at least some basic familiarization.

Well if you are having second thoughts about shooting someone why even make the thread?

I'd buy a good name brand, not some Chinese made Hi-Point that all the dumbfuck thugs use. I plan on buying a Glock 17 for home defense. Dead nuts reliable and they are chambered in 9mm so ammo will always be around. I wouldn't use anything less than 9mm for home defense, I know a lot of other people will feel differently but that is all preference. Another good one is a Walther PPX, I bought it to carry, but they make excellent nightstand guns as well. 500+ rounds of different manufacturers ammo through it and not a single hiccup. New they are like $500? Used I got mine with maybe 2 magazines through it for $400 OTD.

Whatever you do just don't cheap out on some Chinese junk that shoots .22. If you do, you might as well stick to using the BB gun.

Not true, the .22 round is extremely deadly. Also 10 well placed .22 rds are better than spraying .45 ammo everywhere. No worries about over penetration, on top of that no one likes to be shot. So getting peppered with .22 cal rds will quickly make someones flight instinct kick in.

Not true, the .22 round is extremely deadly. Also 10 well placed .22 rds are better than spraying .45 ammo everywhere. No worries about over penetration, on top of that no one likes to be shot. So getting peppered with .22 cal rds will quickly make someones flight instinct kick in.

Not sure if you accidentally quoted me?

An extremely powerful light is also a great defense weapon. Buying yourself a few seconds by blinding the intruder could be life or death.

Careful with some of these newer lights. Some are so bright these days that you'll also blind yourself when you flick it on. Try it down a gloss white hallway sometime after your eyes have acclimated to the dark and you'll see what I mean. Brighter isn't always better.

But yes, I do agree on getting a good, quality light.

Obviously a "judge" is the best choice... just kidding.

If you can't kill get a good flashlight, a can of mace (or hornet spray for that matter), and/or a taser. Like others said, running lights, motion sensors, and an alarm are also effective means of dissuading crackheads. Make sure nothing too valuable is easily seen from the windows too.

Get a good alarm. Monitoring is like $35-$45 per month. IMO get an exterior siren and strobe light on the front porch too. Well worth it. No one is going to stick around while sirens inside and out are going off and the strobe light is there to notify LEO and really is nice if you have a need for fire or medics.

Keep the exterior well lit too. CFL's cost pennies to run anymore. Our house is lit up like the Capital Building at night. Motion lights with damn bright flood lights will add to the charm if you walk near it too. :) Lastly, motion sensors carefully positioned will give you a heads up when someone is near. Ours go off with 1-4 chimes like a door bell depending on which zone you set off. Dogs will go crazy, I will prepare, motion lights will come on and the rest will get interesting if a door or window gets hit.

IMO, if you aren't going to kill an intruder then don't get a gun. Others will chime in I'm sure, but you don't pull a gun to scare someone and you don't shoot to injure. For home defense, a 12 or 20 gauge is ideal.

Call / PM Joe, get your CCL training and talk to him about firing one of his many guns while there. In the mean time, pick up a couple cans of Fox 5.1 pepper spray.

A lot of good info int his post. It sounds like you are far from ready to defend youself with a gun (And I mean no offense) but if your not fine with ending someones life who could be wanting to end yours. Then a gun is not for you.

Sounds like you need a security system & security lights and or camaras. The combo of the 3 I would think would detour most if not all criminals.

A lot of good info int his post. It sounds like you are far from ready to defend youself with a gun (And I mean no offense) but if your not fine with ending someones life who could be wanting to end yours. Then a gun is not for you.

Sounds like you need a security system & security lights and or camaras. The combo of the 3 I would think would detour most if not all criminals.

I prefer a handgun for home defense over a shotgun. Much more operable and easy to handle. Whatever you choice if you go the gun way. Make sure you get a QUALITY Flashlight. Streamlight or similar. Don't buy a cheap $15.00 flashlight. You want them to be disoriented when you turn it on.

Chinese junk that shoots .22. If you do, you might as well stick to using the BB gun.

I agree .22 is an effective round, but I was mainly trying to emphasize the Chinese junk part.

There is some good info in here, and thanks for suggesting me, Tim. OP we can sit down or set up a time to meet, even at your house. I need to see where your head is at, and talk you through some situations to see what your level of commitment is to living. I do home assessments, as well as teach weapons classes. I get where you are coming from, and that it is a tough spot to be in when learning this stuff for the first time. I'll offer to do yours for free and here's why. Reading through this, I'm concerned you may make a purchase or subject yourself to a future bad situation. I think you're a good guy just trying to get things in place to have a good life. Understand, when I do these home assessments, they are $50 an hour, and a 2-4 hour minimum depending on the size of the property. I will cover home safety with the occupants of the home, how not to look like an easy target, weapons that are the right fit for the home, and basic strategy for protecting yourselves from home intruders and thieves.

My phone number is in my signature. I hope to hear from you.

• Confused 1

Regardless of what stupid shit Joe Biden may have said, don't get a shotgun. They are terrible for noobs.

Any handgun worth using will be minimum $400 used. Cheapest you will find an AR is $500. Seeing how your lack of money is well known around here, get an air horn like people use at football games and a couple things of pepper spray.