Amazon Fire TV Stick - $20 - 2 day sale

TTQ B4U

Don't own either, but ordered this. Specs wise this thing spanks the chromecast. I'll end up rooting this or just using it for Plex. AWESOME deal for what you are getting here.

Plex is a bit of a mess on Fire TV. I bought a couple of the $99 Fire TV boxes to replace some WDTV's when they came out because, as you said, the specs really put every other little media box to shame. But since the box (and I assume this stick) are Android based they use the Android version of Plex which only supports 2 speakers (ie. headphones or 2 speakers on a tablet or phone). So if you're looking to enjoy DTS or DD5.1 from your "archived" Blurays (:dumb:) you simply won't be able to. On the boxes you can sideload XBMC though and get surround sound and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to on the sticks but it's still not ideal.

With the way the Fire TV was initially advertised right on Plex's website I figured everything would have been developed cooperatively but here I am 6-7 months later with my Fire TV that still only gives me stereo sound through Plex.