importing a car..

The_buster

First off I started this here because I know it will end up here... But I was lurking on NASIOC, I joined there to read and learn more about Subaru's, and I noticed someone bought a car from Japan and had it imported. My question is how hard is it to do this and what extra costs this would involve? I have been looking for a 96-2000/2001 gc8 body style impreza. Haven't had any luck the past couple years, that were in my price range anyway. The plan is after the wife graduates and gets a job we are going to look for one and give the lincoln to her mom because they're car is about to fall apart and they aren't able to afford to fix it. With them watching our kids sometimes we want them to have a safe car. Anyway, I went to the link the guy provided and was just looking and found this car among a few others

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUBARU/IMPREZA/700115714820130704001/index.html

Other than having to learn RHD, what complications could I run into?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you intending on this being your Daily Driver? If so, I am going to tell you to stop right now.

This.

Also if you were serious about getting a imported car, get one thats already here. Its too expensive to import a car and go through all that bullshit. Cant remember the name but theres a company in florida that has tons of imported cars. Skylines, Supras, WRX's and Evos, etc. Ill see if I can find the name of the place for you, but 4k isnt going to cut it when it comes to buying one of these cars.

I wasn't planning on getting something crazy like a skyline, yet :gabe:. I just saw that someone bought one through this company. What other fees would there be? Like will it need inspected or is that part of the port fee? I don't want to spend the same amount in fees as I did for the car. I just wasn't having any luck finding anything local or in ohio for that matter..

There's a fb group called "JAPAN cars and trucks for sale" look on there. FYI import fees alone are 3-5k plus cost of the car. Then you have to get it from cali to here.

Yeah I didn't realize how much the fees were. Not worth paying more in fees than I would for the car. Plus that much travel would make me nervous.

Honestly, I'd save up your pennies and ride your maxima until the wheels fall off and then buy something you really want that isn't coming from a place where you can't inspect it yourself until after you buy it. You never know what you might get when it actually gets here, could end up spending more money than its worth fixing hack jobs that the prior owner did.

Honestly, I'd save up your pennies and ride your maxima until the wheels fall off and then buy something you really want that isn't coming from a place where you can't inspect it yourself until after you buy it. You never know what you might get when it actually gets here, could end up spending more money than its worth fixing hack jobs that the prior owner did.

Maxima is long gone. Sold it a month or so ago.