importing a car..

The_buster

Now are you saying the car itself isn't a good dd or getting an imported rhd car is bad? Because I really like the car.

Did you think this out much?

Here are a few things I can think of that make this a terrible idea:

1. Cost

2. Insurance (good luck finding any that would cover this car)

3. Parts for car

4. Who is going to work on it?

I was.....

what's wrong with this plan?

I'm not here to be mean, or throw veiled insults. Years of experience have taught me that something of this caliber would need to be a toy. Not something to press into daily duty. It would only lead to more kitchen threads that you might not enjoy reading.

On that note, your threads always leave me in tears. Also, I do admire your spunk.

I have had many friends who have owned RHD cars, both British and Japanese and from being friends with them the biggest hurdle I always saw was parts and servicing, esp if the car is significantly different from the version that was sold here in the states. You wouldn't think it but something even as simple and stupid as brake pads can't always just be sourced from autozone and can cost $100s to get from japan. Getting the car is the easy part, keeping it running there is the challenge.

Also don't buy a car you can't physically inspect.

did you want a subaru wrx coupe? there are a couple of them in the country, you just need to travel in the right circles. I knew a guy in NY who had one, met him through my buddy was the "tuner" guy for his subaru dealership. Seems like a 2.5RS with a swap gets you 90% of the way there though.

Importing everyday vehicles definitely doesn't make financial/practical sense, but, as a G8 fanboy, I'd love to have the cash to import a Commodore HSV, or a Ute. It is still cheaper to buy our version and order all the conversion parts, even at 5-6 grand.

if you are serious about importing a vehicle and dont "know a guy" then stick to things on the approved list which is available online but short. or import something 25+ years old.

I can say my experience was pretty good and I got it cheaper doing it myself then you probably could from buying already stateside ones, but I spent time looking for the right car, finding a dealer I trusted in japan, filing paper work, other things and stuff.

Importing everyday vehicles definitely doesn't make financial/practical sense, but, as a G8 fanboy, I'd love to have the cash to import a Commodore HSV, or a Ute. It is still cheaper to buy our version and order all the conversion parts, even at 5-6 grand.

Thanks, I want to import a Ute now. :fuuuu:

I appreciate the props bro, but my skill set doesn't include anything that could help the buster.

I think he would be better suited seeking help from Tilley. :gabe:

Nvm Das Booster. Jordan can't help. You're screwed.

Honestly man, I'd once again say cross that bridge when you get there, and if you're looking for a DD get something reliable. Get what you NEED, not what you WANT.

Wow. Always amazes me what the Buster comes up with.

I think it as been proven what a bad idea it can be to import a car, you really have to know the right people, and have other means of transportation. Just ask Doc how long it took to get his Veiwt running again.

Why don't you just buy a Mustang? It'll be the fastest thing you've ever had, they're everywhere, and they are easy enough to maintain. Go back into the 90s and I bet you can afford it too.

Why don't you just buy a Mustang?

Mustangs are the domestic version of a civic. They are everywhere, and most of them have loud annoying exhausts.

I need a 4 door car, and I want one that I can also toy around with a little. I also like the sound of the Subaru boxer engine. So when I am able afford one I will be looking for that particular body style. The reason for this thread was to see what else was involved in importing a car, to see if that was a viable option that's it.