Educate me - getting rid of cable

caseyctsv

That goes outside I take it, right? I don't want that thing in my house, haha.

I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Im not sure you need the 50mile range.. (that would almost pick up dayton channels! O.o

There is a 33$ version (which we are considering) tahts a 28 mile range of that antenna.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure you need the 50mile range.. (that would almost pick up dayton channels! O.o

There is a 33$ version (which we are considering) tahts a 28 mile range of that antenna.

the advertised 50 mile range is under perfect atmospheric and topographic conditions (IE clear sunny day with the wind blowing the right direction on perfectly flat land)

with the 120 mile range one i have goes maybe 30-40 and barely picks up 53.

Looks like the 35 mile one is $28 with free shipping, I'm thinking that's our best bet.

So far, I'm at $28 for antenna, $45 for Xbox live (how I make my TV smart for streaming), $20 for Amazon Fire Stick (upstairs TV for streaming), and the monthly cost of $8 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu.

I also have Amazon Prime but their content is relatively similar to Netflix.

Yaaaahhhhhh Im thinking thats now how that would play out court. Ill leave my filter right where its at.

The burned of proof is always on the accuser. Of curse, this is all second hand information, I am not sure if any of it actually works. :p

More info please?

-Marc

You a Narc?

Got a call from DirectTv last night (actually, I got 6...fuckers). They offered me $68 a month for 12 months, free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2015 season, HBO free for 3 months and a $200 Visa gift card to stay. Wife and I talked- I think we are still going to cut. I think they're getting desperate.

Got a call from DirectTv last night (actually, I got 6...fuckers). They offered me $68 a month for 12 months, free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2015 season, HBO free for 3 months and a $200 Visa gift card to stay. Wife and I talked- I think we are still going to cut. I think they're getting desperate.

Wow. That's actually a pretty damn good deal. I'll be calling them this weekend to cut. If they offer me something relatively close to that, I might end up keeping it.

If you call to threaten to cancel any service;cable, internet, phone, they drop their pants, EVERY time!! I have been on the promotional rate for my DSL for 3 years-every time they jack it back up, I call to cancel. Same with XM int he caddy.....

Know the system. Beat the system!

If you call to threaten to cancel any service;cable, internet, phone, they drop their pants, EVERY time!! I have been on the promotional rate for my DSL for 3 years-every time they jack it back up, I call to cancel. Same with XM int he caddy.....

Know the system. Beat the system!

I tried that with my business internet connection and home connection, they told me to pound sand :lolguy:

Looks like the 35 mile one is $28 with free shipping, I'm thinking that's our best bet.

So far, I'm at $28 for antenna, $45 for Xbox live (how I make my TV smart for streaming), $20 for Amazon Fire Stick (upstairs TV for streaming), and the monthly cost of $8 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu.

I also have Amazon Prime but their content is relatively similar to Netflix.

So between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime you are around $28 a month for all your cable cutting services? Wouldn't cable be only $15 a month on top of your Normal Internet bill?

I cut cable and I'm with twc 50d/5u and they can get me cable for $10 more. If I added Netflix it's almost a why bother at that point. I'm just using Xbmc to cover the shows I want to watch.

So between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime you are around $28 a month for all your cable cutting services? Wouldn't cable be only $15 a month on top of your Normal Internet bill?

I cut cable and I'm with twc 50d/5u and they can get me cable for $10 more. If I added Netflix it's almost a why bother at that point. I'm just using Xbmc to cover the shows I want to watch.

Kind of. $28 for my monthly services, but DirectTv is $68 on top of that (internet is separate through AT&T- $45 a month).

So right now I'm doing everything, the bill would be cut by $68 ($84 currently) when I cut it.

I'm not sure where my write up went in this thread. I ditched cable about 6 weeks ago. Internet only, with HD amp antenna's. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Amazon is more for shipping, we rarely watch anything there. Roku is in the bedroom and xbox in the living room. We picked up a smart tv for the living room, so rarely use xbox for streaming.The HD antenna's were $18 at Micro Center and work like they should. We were paying $108-$120 a month with cable. Now we pay $49 for internet and $8 for Netflix, and Prime works out to about $8 a month. $66 a month and we have plenty to watch. Glad we did it.

It seems like the big switch is happening. I hope the cable company execs, board members & stock holders aren't getting much sleep right now.

Whether it be limited usage like cell data, or just jacking up the price of internet, they aren't going to lose out on it. I guarantee it, Especially with the whole net neutrality thing happening right now.

THe main problem right now is there isnt competition and lobbyist will prevent there from ever being competition. Our only real hope is google fiber continues its trek east and eventually makes it nationwide. This will force big ISPs like time warner and ATT to drop prices if they want to keep customers. At work, we pay $500/mo for 20meg fiber(i have no idea on residential pricing, if thats even available). Google offers $70 gigabit for residential customers.

Whether it be limited usage like cell data, or just jacking up the price of internet, they aren't going to lose out on it. I guarantee it, Especially with the whole net neutrality thing happening right now.

Bingo, they give no fucks really. The only people that will suffer are the overpaid actors and networks, they are all on the fucked train right now. I'm fine with that, its time these actors and other entertainment types get knocked down a few pegs.

Providers are going to get paid one way or another.