HID's vs. LED's for fog lights?

zeitgeist57

Seems like automotive LED aftermarket lighting has come a long way in the last few years! I've had good luck with DDM's HID kits in the past, and I will be swapping out the fog/parking light assemblies on my CTS-V for clear assemblies with clear corners that came with the car when I bought it.

Access is not easy to this assembly for changing light bulbs, so I'd like to make an aftermarket bulb change at the same time. Should I go LEDs over HIDs?

bulb size is 9145(???) for the foglights.

Looking to be around 4300K for the fogs to better match the factory HIDs. Anyone use LEDs for foglights, and how have you preferred the change?

I have never had LED lights, but the HID lights on my car work great on back roads and really light up the area when there are no street lights. I would be interested to hear how LED lights work out in the long run because I have considered them in the past.

I have been seeing people on the volkswagen forums placing LED's in their headlights. The photos look like they are worse at blinding on coming traffic than plug and play HID kits. From inside the car they do not look bad.

A friend of mine put a set of LED's in his MDX for headlights and they are SUPER bright.

LEDs have come a long way for sure, and all I can say is don't go cheap. There are some pretenders out there given that its a relatively new industry as far as true headlights (not just markers or signal lenses).

Also, LEDs don't generate quite as much heat as hid or halogens, but what heat they do make needs managed or it will quickly kill the emitter, driver board, or both. You will want to choose a kit with a decent heatsink, and ensure that it will fit where you are using it (they can be bulky).

I understand there are a few halogen retrofit led kits that have been recently approved for legal road use in Europe, but not yet in the US. The brand escapes me but they are one of the higher quality products out there right now, and kinda pricey still. I'm posting from my phone but will try to add some links later from home.

I will have a review on CREE Led 50watt h11 low beams soon. Should have them on this weekend.

A friend of mine has LED on his bike and it is super bright and clear.

Any links to good quality LED lights for bikes (or a name of the brand he used), I am gonna research this for the CBR.

Just ordered back up and fog lights in LED. I will do Before and after pic's. 4 bulbs came to $67 shipped.

Biggest concern is how hot are these LED's? I don't want the heat to mar the clear lenses for running lights or fog lights.

Very curious how they will look reflecting off snow.

Yes...definitely looking for brands/links for quality. I've learned that for something like this the difference from great and crap is a few bucks...I don't wanna cheap out on this.

Thanks, everyone.

I ordered my set off of ebay. USA seller 50w H11 LED kit. Was 59.99 for 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts.

Right off the bat I like them because they are instant on, unlike HIDs that warm up. They are very clear at night, and a LOT less glare than my HID's.

Edited by Rocky31186

I have been seeing people on the volkswagen forums placing LED's in their headlights. The photos look like they are worse at blinding on coming traffic than plug and play HID kits. From inside the car they do not look bad.

A friend of mine put a set of LED's in his MDX for headlights and they are SUPER bright.

If your friend lives/works near Worthington-galena road then he was just behind me a little bit ago. I can can say that his led headlights are bright as fuck in my mirrors.

Simply, using anything else (HID, LED, gas lamp) on a reflector that was designed for incandescent bulb will create unwanted effects which likely be blinding for oncoming traffic.

I think I agree with this. I like them for back up lights, and the fog lights right now.