WIFI Garage door openers

Mojoe

F^%$, that is way past what I'm willing to, or knoiw how to do. Made me realize something else I like about the wifi openers. Blue tooth and traditional openers have a range limit. I have a 250 drive way and have to almost pull up to my garage right now, before the clicker activates it. Wifi will fix that.

F^%$, that is way past what I'm willing to, or knoiw how to do. Made me realize something else I like about the wifi openers. Blue tooth and traditional openers have a range limit. I have a 250 drive way and have to almost pull up to my garage right now, before the clicker activates it. Wifi will fix that.

The range limit is a good point, but for being DIY, that's a piece of cake at the fraction of the cost of your other options, with no service cost.

Just a good alternative I wanted to point out.

I love stuff like that. My reality is, if there are wires involved, I tend to get my ass kicked by it.

hahaha, hear ya on that one. I'm not the brightest of light bulbs when it comes to wiring, myself, but I think I'm seriously going to give it a try. His DIY makes it look pretty damn easy, as long as you know how to solder.

• 1 year later...
I have a myQ, I like it. You cannot open the door via the app, only close. Tells me status.

Well over a year later, I finally have sorted out a few things. I held off on doing this at the time of starting this thread, because of other tie ins I was looking into bringing together with this and home automation.

I did end up going with MyQ. Akula, are you still have this issue? The app, online page and opener all open and close the door, as well as give you status. Going with MyQ would cost around $85 with this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CIGCWC-Internet-Smartphone-Connectivity/dp/B00C1CF1S6/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1468937192&sr=1-4&keywords=my+q

The internet gateway has a 300' range, witch is very helpful if you have outbuildings that are detached from you home. Set up with these two pieces is pretty easy, however, the web page directions are phrased horribly for the pictures shown and the next step. This is a hub, so you can just get additional wall mounts for separate detached buildings and your attached garage, depending on your set up. Additional wall mounts are less than $30.

Originally, I bought this cluster fuck.

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-Garage-Universal-Smartphone-Controller/dp/B00HCR7C1E/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1468937192&sr=1-10&keywords=my+q

The first one did not produce the signal to be able to set it up, so I returned it to Home Depot. The second one did give signal, but nothing in the directions followed with what the unit did and then it was stuck on flashing blue and green lights, even after resets and reboots. The THIRD one, with the intent to use it with the internet gate way, which many online posts say to do, also got stuck on flashing blue and green. I had called My Q for assistance during the second install, and they sent me a free gateway. When the gateway got here, they had included the wall mount garage door opener needed to link to the internet gateway. Nothing it free, because I lost about 5 hours trouble shooting bad equipment, with the help of several friends. I'm the first to say, I mess up anything electrical. However, the two friends that worked with me are both very informed, as one is a Mechanical Engineer who knows the Z wave, Zigbee, and wifi options of home automation. The other, is an IT guy, and was very pissed how following the directions resulted in not a damn thing working.

In all, it's up and running and I'm happy. I hope this saves you guys time, money, and adds some ease to monitoring your garage door.

I have a craftsman garage door opener. It was compatible, so I added a wifi "assurlink" module to it. They have an app, so I can open and close the door from my phone. I can also set alerts for door open and door remaining open. Stupid simple to set up, and probably about $75 I'm happy with it.

I did look at Iris, but found Smart things to have more options and less restrictions, with no fee. MyQ and Smart things where running together until a few months ago. And, they are in the works of patching things to be back up and running together.