WIFI Garage door openers

Mojoe

There are several companies out there now with this abilaty. I looked into a few and thought I would share some findings here. My last car had homelink, a built in garage door opener to the mirror. A new homelink system is $250-400 by the time it's installed. I could just get another door remote, but I also wanted a feature to check if the garage door was open if I was not home that had an app I could use to close it remotely. Also, I believe they are updating MYQ to give notifications if the door is open after a certain time. For instance, you could set it to notify you between 9am and 4:30pm and 11pm to 7am, if the door were opened.

NEXIA:

I have their wifi thermostat for the house. There is a bridge option to get the wifi garage door opener. You can do a bridge and one outlet item for free on their system. This is CRAP, it then will cost you $9.99 a month to have any other items. I'm not paying $10 a month to open my garage.

Cost is $66 for the bridge and about $95 for the wifi unit, + monthly fee.

LIFT MASTER MYQ:

http://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-888LM-Security-Upgrades-Previous/dp/B00B8BFG0O/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1418662904&sr=8-11&keywords=lift+master

This is where I stopped looking. There were a few others I had looked at and I just don't feel like posting them. This systems seems to have very good ratings and easy of install and use. For me, I feel this will cover all I'm looking for. There are a couple good vids out there, I'm just not able to link them right now.

Once I'm up and running, I'll update this.

Anyone running something like this off another system, or have this?

Edited by Mojoe

And that is exactly why I like this. I don't like a network where I buy their gear, then have to pay a monthly fee to access it, when it's basically my appliance at that point. This is all part of home automation, but very easy to do just this one peice by itself.

One of my co workers has a Liftmaster one and loves it especially because he has a couple kids so he can see when they are coming and going or have left the door open. His is through his security system though so the monthly fee is probably just built into the fee he is paying.

Just curious as I seriously don't know....what's the "need" or benefit of having a wifi door opener?

I don't have one, but most keep openers in the cars and they stay there.

If you are out in a third or fourth car, just out for a walk, friend drives you home, maintenance guy needs inside...all you need is your phone.

Just curious as I seriously don't know....what's the "need" or benefit of having a wifi door opener?

For me, no more bringing the opener from the car inside the house. I park in the detached shop. Combined with the other features mentioned for remote access, I like the ease of use.

Also, if someone breaks into your car and takes the remote, now they have access.

Edited by Mojoe

I have home link in all my cars. So it's not a need of opening or closing with my phone. It's more of a let me know if it opens when I don't want it to. Most people don't realize but most home link buttons work off constant 12v. Get in car, they can get in garage.

If my wife and I are at work I want to know if someone gets the garage door open.

Also my wife seems to be forgetful at times and doesn't remember if she shut the door after backing out. Easily check on the phone if it's closed or open.

I have home link in all my cars. So it's not a need of opening or closing with my phone. It's more of a let me know if it opens when I don't want it to. Most people don't realize but most home link buttons work off constant 12v. Get in car, they can get in garage.

If my wife and I are at work I want to know if someone gets the garage door open.

Also my wife seems to be forgetful at times and doesn't remember if she shut the door after backing out. Easily check on the phone if it's closed or open.

Actually you can set it up to alert you or I think you can have set to auto close after being open for more then 30 min.

'

I run garageio, it's a small local columbus company and really simple, it plugs into any garage opener and makes it Smartphone operable. We have home link also in the car, but when the wife forgets to close the dam garage door, and we are in bed, my lazy ass doesn't have to get out of bed.

Linky

Oh and I also subscribe to Nexia, our lock on the new house 3 years ago came with it, now I use it to turn on and off lights and our all house fan.

Also have a Nest Thermostat and Several Phillips Hue LED lights.

For me, no more bringing the opener from the car inside the house. I park in the detached shop. Combined with the other features mentioned for remote access, I like the ease of use.

Also, if someone breaks into your car and takes the remote, now they have access.

Gotcha. Our Chamberlain remotes are very like a keyless fob for cars. They hang on our key chains so we aren't exposed to leaving them in our cars. Only my Fusion sits out at night though.

We have home link also in the car, but when the wife forgets to close the dam garage door, and we are in bed, my lazy ass doesn't have to get out of bed.

We both keep our spare keys in our bedroom as a safety thing. If someone breaks into the cars, house, etc., we can make more noise by setting off the panic buttons. Or if in the event of a break in we can let the cops in the garage or if we ninja escape out the fire ladder we can fire up the van and run the fuckers over. I use the two alternate buttons to control the lights in our house. One is wired to one of the lamps in our great room the other to the light switch in our kitchen.

^^ My old 2003 Accord was like that. That's when I stopped keeping my registration or business cards in my car. Thought perhaps they would have finally combined HomeLink working with a chip in the car ignition or something.

Home automation is a really big thing now.

I've been looking at trying to tie Garage, Lights, Door Locks all into a central system accessible by phone.

So far I got research done for Kwikset on Locks, Lutron for Lighting...All Z-Wave compatible so they can all tie in

I run garageio, it's a small local columbus company and really simple, it plugs into any garage opener and makes it Smartphone operable. We have home link also in the car, but when the wife forgets to close the dam garage door, and we are in bed, my lazy ass doesn't have to get out of bed.

Linky

Oh and I also subscribe to Nexia, our lock on the new house 3 years ago came with it, now I use it to turn on and off lights and our all house fan.

Also have a Nest Thermostat and Several Phillips Hue LED lights.

is there a monthly fee for their service?

Another factor to keep in mind for some people, is if you have a detached garage, does you wifi signal reach it? I installed a signal amplifier over the weekend, because I'm hit and miss on signal strength there. I have a wifi thermostat out there and from time to time I would go to use it and not have signal. Now I have full signal and can stream vids in the shop tv. And, of course have a reliable wifi garage opener.

Here is what I used.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750-Gigabit-Extender-EX6100/dp/B00HHRP11C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418697046&sr=8-1&keywords=NETGEAR+AC750+WiFi+Range+Extender+EX6100+-+Wireless+network+extender&pebp=1418697051407

It was a little past what I know for setting up. But, Howard looked at it and it was pretty easy for him. No hard wire needed. Basically get it to talk to your router and go plug it in where it can get your router's signal, and it will push it out further.

For people with attached garage's, how many lock the door from the house to the garage? Many people don't.

True. One thing the wife and I do though before we "lock up" the house for the night and check doors/windows is we do check to make sure the garage door is closed and then we hit the "lock" switch on the door open button. It essentially shuts the system down so even a controller won't open it until it's unlocked, which we do when we feed the dogs in the morning. It helps that our dog food bins on are on the shelf right outside the mud room door to the garage. Can't be too safe.

I like it, Tim. I had never seen one that does that. Great feature.

It is nice. We had it on our old one too but this one is wireless all around so in your case you could keep the main switch in your main house and "lock" the door by disabling the receiver from there. Provided the distance would reach...which I've been to your place and know it would as I can open our door from 5-7 houses away.