Old Jeep Guys - anybody ever Tow?

Geeto67

So my father is evicting my old motorcycle trailer from his house in NY. I used to use the family beater 2 door tahoe to pull it when I lived in NY, but now I don't have access to that truck anymore and I am going to have to bring the trailer to ohio. Although I have owned my YJ wrangler for 19 years I have never had a trailer hitch on it so I never used it to tow. Manual says the tow rating is 2000lbs.

Trailer is a flat deck utility trailer (Like the kind Home deopt used to sell) identical to this one:

http://list.thestoke.ca/photos/115685/original.jpg

and is setup to tow two small motorcycles, or one ATV/snowmobile. I figure the trailer weighs about 500lbs. Most of the bikes I tow are about 500lbs (SOHC cb750s, 8V Suzuki GS, nortons, etc...).

Jeep is a 1995 YJ wrangler with 4.0L inline six, 3.55 gears, 30x9.5 tires, and a NV3550 tranny out of a 2000 Rubicon. 134,000 miles.

I spoke to the guys at trail quest and they are convinced that I am going to blow the rear up in short order if I use my wrangler to tow anything, but I think that is kind of bull since the trailer with one bike on it should be well within the weight rating.

So questions:

Anybody have a recomendation on a trailer hitch/rear bumper? I have been told the rear bumper hitches have only a 150lb tongue rating but I have seen some of them out there that are really overbuilt. If a bumper/hitch combo is a bad idea any recommendations on a frame mounted hitch?

Anybody familiar with towing with a wrangler? am I really pulling the pin on the grenade if I do this or will the jeep handle it just fine?

How does a jeep handle with a trailer behind it? I have been told (by internet "experts") that the jeep is too short a wheelbase to really be a good two rig for anything and that the trailer will push me all around the road.

Any other helpful thoughts?

I think your jeep will tow it just fine. Get a bumper rated to tow or get an aftermarket hitch that connects to the frame.

The FJ is pretty short wheelbase and yes it sucks to tow with, but that little trailer and a bike should hardly be a problem...i am talking about larger enclosed trailers that can blow all over. If you are really concerned get a set of the inflatable air bag helper things you put in the rear coil springs.. can fill them up a little to like 15 or 20 psi and it should help a lot.

Bigger concern is if your brakes are up to snuff assuming the trailer has none. Just have to drive accordingly, lower gears ect if it feels weird. Not sure what that trans is, but if its an auto maybe stay out of OD....typically the convertor is unlocked in OD and can build heat way more while towing.

If you are really concerned get a set of the inflatable air bag helper things you put in the rear coil springs.. can fill them up a little to like 15 or 20 psi and it should help a lot.

Bigger concern is if your brakes are up to snuff assuming the trailer has none. Just have to drive accordingly, lower gears ect if it feels weird. Not sure what that trans is, but if its an auto maybe stay out of OD....typically the convertor is unlocked in OD and can build heat way more while towing.

YJ jeeps are leaf springs front and rear. I've used air lift spring helpers in the past on other trucks, but I don't think they are available for the older jeeps. The 95 has an extra leaf in the rear and my leafs were replaced about 5 years ago.

Brakes are stock disc front drum rear with no ABS. pretty standard stuff and they are just ok for the car unladen so I may think about upgrading as the trailer has no brakes. Was thinking about doing the rear disc conversion but that is just for ease of service.

NV3550 trans is the 5 speed manual they started putting in the Rubicons in 1999 and in the standard TJ wranglers in 2000. gear ratios are:

Gear Ratios 1st 4.01

Gear Ratios 2nd 2.33

Gear Ratios 3rd 1.39

Gear Ratios 4th 1.00

Gear Ratios 5th 0.78

Gear Ratios Reverse 3.57

5th gear really struggles to pull the car sometimes with the 3.55 gears up steep grades at highway speeds so a trailer might have me dropping down to 3rd.

by comparison the stock AX15 tranny (which is no longer in the car) had: Gear ratios for the AX15 are: 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79 So I have a taller gear for starting off but third is slightly shorter as is 5th.

YJ jeeps are leaf springs front and rear. I've used air lift spring helpers in the past on other trucks, but I don't think they are available for the older jeeps. The 95 has an extra leaf in the rear and my leafs were replaced about 5 years ago.

Brakes are stock disc front drum rear with no ABS. pretty standard stuff and they are just ok for the car unladen so I may think about upgrading as the trailer has no brakes. Was thinking about doing the rear disc conversion but that is just for ease of service.

NV3550 trans is the 5 speed manual they started putting in the Rubicons in 1999 and in the standard TJ wranglers in 2000. gear ratios are:

Gear Ratios 1st 4.01

Gear Ratios 2nd 2.33

Gear Ratios 3rd 1.39

Gear Ratios 4th 1.00

Gear Ratios 5th 0.78

Gear Ratios Reverse 3.57

5th gear really struggles to pull the car sometimes with the 3.55 gears up steep grades at highway speeds so a trailer might have me dropping down to 3rd.

by comparison the stock AX15 tranny (which is no longer in the car) had: Gear ratios for the AX15 are: 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79 So I have a taller gear for starting off but third is slightly shorter as is 5th.

Ohhh gotcha. Leafs are probably fine then. When I pulled with my XTerra recently I stopped by Advance and grabbed some helper leaf springs which did help tremendously, though my stockers were tired and bouncy. I actually still have the helpers on it to this day lol.

Slight bit of extra assurance for roughly $25

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/XTerra/IMG-20130827-00039_zps70ae5806.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/XTerra/IMG-20130827-00038_zps3cddbd0b.jpg

Braking is probably going to be your biggest issue. Leave a lot of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you. Also even with the 4.0L, you are going to have issues getting up to speed on the highway (tough enough in a Wrangler). Also not sure if you have to drive though any mountains in NY, but if you do, it is going to be tough. Watch your engine temps and be ready to pull over and let it cool down.

Also that trailer looks like it weighs more than 500 lbs. But if that is all your are towing, it wouldn't exceed the 2,000 lbs unless that is all steal.

IMO, I would see if you could borrow someone's truck or SUV before I would try towing with a YJ for that kind of distance. If it was a short trip, I wouldn't be concerned, but that trip is going to be a long trip for towing with a YJ. I wouldn't even consider it with my 13 JK.

Trailer is all steel except the center deck section which is plywood. I pulled the weight from the SnowBear website for the model trailer which has it listed as about 516lbs. I was planning on hauling a motorcycle back in the bed with it at xmas time (1976 cb750F @ 500lbs).

I recently installed a 2 row aluminum Silla radiator, the kind most people use for Chevy 350 swaps as I plan to swap in a chevy 350 when the old 4.0L gives up the ghost. Currently my problem isn't overheating it is getting the car up to heat - everytime the thermostat opens the temp drops back down to 135 (thermostat is 195 degree and jeep's normal operating temp is 215).

The road to NY is one long gradual climb up the mountain in Penn and then back down (peak is usually at the half way point). When I hauled Racebikes for Team Obsolete we usually left at night to avoid overheating on the upwards climb but we were usually hauling 5 or 6 bikes in an enclosed trailer with either a Dodge Dakota extended cab or a 1983 Dodge Ram Airport van.

I think I may rent a pickup for the trip to NY and back and then just use the trailer and Jeep for in town. At least until I can get the brakes upgraded.

The weight shouldn't be an issue. The short wheelbase is the downside, take your time driving the way back and you'll be fine.

This ^

I used to tow with my old bronco II and it did fine. Make sure your brakes are ok and watch your speed. Don't panic stop if it starts to sway on you, just lift off the gas and ride it out.