Lane Splitting

gillbot

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-motorcycle-lane-sharing-all-public-roads/qP86QbjN

Thoughts?

I don't mind splitting, I have done it but cagers scare me. Until punishment for cagers increases and general driver awareness is elevated about motorcyclists, I won't do it but I support it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low speeds stuck in traffic I would love this. The idiots on YouTube no.

I've been in traffic multiple times that I didn't feel safe. Getting on 23 in all that construction traffic, sawmill,and waiting on 270 to get on 70e, etc.

Hot ass summer days would prevent bikes from getting hot also

Seems reasonable to me. When I am in my car I give motorcycles extra room to roam as a general rule since they are so vulnerable and thanks to all the computers and such on modern cars it is pretty easy to avoid them. On the other hand, if they are being asses, my cage weights 4500lbs so avoiding me is on them.

In my younger days, I could have been one of those idiots on YouTube, and it's up there with some of the biggest adrenaline rushes I've ever had. After visiting California and seeing it a lot from the cage perspective, it really unnerves me. They have the right roads for it with an extra quarter lane by the HOV lane and it is still close, plus cars are not supposed to enter and exit the HOV lane except in certain spots.

I would probably support it for selfish reasons but I don't think most riders are capable of doing it safely.

Instead of car drivers giving more leeway to bikers and accepting responsibility for their poor driving and lack of attention, they want bikers removed so they don't have to look out for them.

I'd love to see splitting become popular on the east coast but I doubt it'll ever happen. Until car drivers give respect, it will always be a heated debate.

Cagers :nono:

I don't even know what that term means.

... Until car drivers give respect...

Respect is earned. Not given.

I've had a few idiot bikers spoil my perception for the bunch. Make it legal and even more idiots will become prevalent. No, not all, but more, and that's enough reason for me to not like it. I may be wrong, I'll readily admit that, but I don't think I am.

I've ran off the road to avoid idiots who passed on a double yellow then locked 'em up to avoid hitting a deer crossing the road. I did all I could to preserve that moron's life.

Every time I see a "look twice, save a life" bumper sticker or yard sign I can't help but think, "THINK twice and save your OWN life!" I have a few friends and fam who are hardcore riders. I can respect the riders that earn it and obey traffic laws. The morons ruin it for me. Same with anyone else, be it vehicle drivers or bicyclists though.

shrug.jpg

I don't even know what that term means.

Respect is earned. Not given.

I've had a few idiot bikers spoil my perception for the bunch. Make it legal and even more idiots will become prevalent. No, not all, but more, and that's enough reason for me to not like it. I may be wrong, I'll readily admit that, but I don't think I am.

I've ran off the road to avoid idiots who passed on a double yellow then locked 'em up to avoid hitting a deer crossing the road. I did all I could to preserve that moron's life.

Every time I see a "look twice, save a life" bumper sticker or yard sign I can't help but think, "THINK twice and save your OWN life!" I have a few friends and fam who are hardcore riders. I can respect the riders that earn it and obey traffic laws. The morons ruin it for me. Same with anyone else, be it vehicle drivers or bicyclists though.

shrug.jpg

Cager - Closed minded car driver.

So as a biker I can say the same thing and group you in with the rest of the retard teenage minded no attention paying texting drivers? :confused: Fair enough I guess. My point is, those retards flying between cars deserve to be a smear on the road. Let Darwin worry about those idiots. It's not fair for those who try to be safe yet have to deal with a raging cager because he's too but hurt to let anyone get by. People DO need to be more aware of bikers overall and that's something that needs to happen regardless of lane splitting or your thoughts about bikers.

Hell no, Obey the traffic laws just like cars/trucks are required to do. And Motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to ride side by side in lanes either.

I agree with needing to beware aware of bikes on the road, that goes both ways as well. Too many fools on both ends.

Hell no, Obey the traffic laws just like cars/trucks are required to do. And Motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to ride side by side in lanes either.

I agree with needing to beware aware of bikes on the road, that goes both ways as well. Too many fools on both ends.

Why do you feel that way about side by side and passing a law to lane split?

Have you ridden a bike before? Side by side with someone you know is a lot more safe than single. Cars see you easier for one.

I'm not totally sure I understand the benifit. And the cost (risk) seems far too high. I guess I could understand somewhere like cali or Texas or Florida where bikes are more common and the weather is suited for a long 2 wheel season and the traffic is far worse but in Ohio...

Why do you feel that way about side by side and passing a law to lane split?

Have you ridden a bike before? Side by side with someone you know is a lot more safe than single. Cars see you easier for one.

I don't ride, why do bikes need to surpass traffic and get ahead? Just begging for more accidents, then the cars owners will be to blame.

LOL

Do you even ride bro.

No, do I need too to have an opinion? Most of my experience with 2 riders in one lane is, the inside rider hugs or rides on the lane adjacent to the lane next to it. Not all riders do this i'll admit, but I've seen a lot do so. Also side by side riders seem to like to talk and jaw at each other going down the road. What happens if you have to make an evasive decision? is there room for both? do they make the same choice, do they both see it? I've experienced 3 side by side riders as well.

I have many family members who do ride and have so for over 40 yrs. None of them ride side by, stating it's too dangerous. they choose to ride in a staggered formation a full bike or more behind.

I'm just saying we have enough motorcycle fatalities, how is this going to help? And BOTH vehicle drivers and Motorcycles drivers need to do a better job.

I've picked up enough pieces and parts (not farings and mirrors) to have an opinion on this.

Be safe out there!

I don't ride, I don't think people not riding makes their opinion somehow invalid. That's just silly. People in cars have to use the roads, belong on the roads and have similar (just less) risk just like bikers do. As soon as you try to alienate an affected population out of a decision by some bunk logic, you've just lost any argument you are trying to make.

I'm not sure the risk is worth the benefit with moving traffic on any road. The only benefit is, the bike gets ahead in traffic. I'm don't think there is an argument to be made there. If you don't think it's riskier to split lanes in moving traffic than stay in your own lane, you're a part of the problem of bad perceptions of bikers by people in cars. I'm a pretty attentive drive a majority of the time. But I can't think of 1 time I've been in traffic in states where it's legal, and didn't notice a bike until it had already passed me.

At a stoplight with more than 1 lane, I'm pretty much all for it due to the (supposed?) reduced risk for rear endings. I say supposed because I've only heard anecdotal evidence of some studies, but it makes sense that when done properly it would be safer.