Lane Splitting

gillbot

Here is some actual research on the topic with facts to help some non believers.

Recent research has confirmed what many motorcycle riders have known for years. "Lane splitting" – or riding in between lanes of traffic – obviously saves riders a lot of time, but it's also considerably safer than sitting in traffic and acting like a car, as long as it’s done within certain guidelines, and contrary to what many drivers think, it actually speeds up traffic for everyone else on the road. Riders, please pass this information on to the drivers in your lives.

It’s time for certain drivers to get these thoughts out of their heads: "lane splitting is queue jumping," "motorcyclists should have to wait in line like the rest of us," "riding in between cars is suicidal." While it’s illegal in most of the United States, it’s accepted in many other parts of the world, and evidence is mounting that lane splitting is safer for riders than sitting in traffic, and actually benefits car drivers as well as the riders themselves.

Safety benefits of lane splitting for motorcyclists

One of the key arguments against lane splitting is that, to many driver’s eyes, it seems like a dangerous practice. From a rider’s perspective, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

The most common type of accident on the road is a rear-ender. These make up^40 percent of all accidents^in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. And while most of these are minor fender benders between car drivers, there’s really no such thing as a minor fender bender if someone slams into the back of a motorcycle. By splitting between lanes, riders are able to put a shell of slow or stopped traffic around their bikes and protect against the inattention of other road users.

In a^recent Berkeley study^undertaken with the California Highway Patrol’s assistance, 7,836 motorcycle crashes were examined closely, with some 1,163 of these crashes having occurred while the rider was lane splitting.

Riders who were splitting at the time of their accident were significantly less likely to be injured in every category than those who weren’t: 45 percent fewer head injuries, 21 percent fewer neck injuries, 32 percent fewer torso injuries, 12 percent fewer arm/leg injuries, and 55 percent fewer fatalities.

This is quite possibly because the majority of those splitting accidents happened at speeds between 1 and 30 mph (50 km/h). The data also shows that the safest way to lane split is to travel at less than 30 mph, and less than 10 mph above the speed of the surrounding traffic. Injury rates leap up in all categories when both of these conditions are violated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has never ridden a motorcycle legally on the road for more than a few days really should not comment on this.

Until you've heard a car schreeching it's tires behind you while their ABS kicks in and out and see them go flying past you onto the shoulder and look over at you in disbelief they almost hit you since they were too busy texting their BFF to pay attention that traffic was stopped, you really can't hold water in this debate. It is scary as fuck being stopped quickly and you see a car 1/4-1/2 mile behind you still FLYING towards you not paying attention and then suddenly see the nose dip down.

Lane splitting would alleviate a LOT of riders going down due to cars rear ending them. Think about it, 71N at Polaris is a perfect example. Suddenly traffic stops about 3/4 mile from the exit ramp and you stop in plenty of time on your bike. Unfortunately, Susie P. Textalot just had a breakup of her true love of 2 weeks right before homecoming. She is too distraught and texting her BFF about finding a new date to see the brake lights. You thought ahead and got into lane 1 within you lane, hoping to avoid a direct hit. Luckily for you, you did this and only lost your right leg and hand when she went plowing into the car in front of you and grazed you.

Meanwhile, in California, the same situation unfolds when traffic suddenly stops. The rider is able to split lanes at a reasonable speed with caution, and only hears the crunch behind him, and hopes all involved are OK.

Tell me, why shouldn't it be legalized again? Because someone may change lanes in front of you? That responsibility falls on both you, the rider, to be aware of your surroundings and proceed in splitting at a reasonable speed, No more than 5-10mph, as well as the driver to signal their intentions before checking their mirrors so other drivers and riders are aware of what they are thinking.

Just my $.02. But what do I know, I've only put 10,000 miles on my bike per year for the last 2 years :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

No you shouldn't ride side by side going down the road. Staggered is how you should be so both riders can move to the side if something comes up. Doesn't change the amount of lane I take though, which causes other cars to at least take notice. I'm not riding the line though.

Nah ill pass. People are already too unaware of their surroundings to be able to handle someone driving in an unmarked lane.

Like I said, that is the fundamental problem and the answer is NOT to remove bikers from the road. Cagers need to be more aware, not less, and this just allows a biker more legal freedom to maneuver away from unsafe situations.

I don't ride, I don't think people not riding makes their opinion somehow invalid. That's just silly. People in cars have to use the roads, belong on the roads and have similar (just less) risk just like bikers do. As soon as you try to alienate an affected population out of a decision by some bunk logic, you've just lost any argument you are trying to make.

I'm not sure the risk is worth the benefit with moving traffic on any road. The only benefit is, the bike gets ahead in traffic. I'm don't think there is an argument to be made there. If you don't think it's riskier to split lanes in moving traffic than stay in your own lane, you're a part of the problem of bad perceptions of bikers by people in cars. I'm a pretty attentive drive a majority of the time. But I can't think of 1 time I've been in traffic in states where it's legal, and didn't notice a bike until it had already passed me.

At a stoplight with more than 1 lane, I'm pretty much all for it due to the (supposed?) reduced risk for rear endings. I say supposed because I've only heard anecdotal evidence of some studies, but it makes sense that when done properly it would be safer.

If you can't see the benefit, you never will. Less traffic, less fuel waste, safer, the advantages truly are endless. He fact that so many people blindly say no because they don't see it is the problem with us traffic laws and us drivers. We truly fail in comparison to Europeans in this regard and it's sad most are so closed minded to anything that may advance safety and congestion.

Like I said, that is the fundamental problem and the answer is NOT to remove bikers from the road. Cagers need to be more aware, not less, and this just allows a biker more legal freedom to maneuver away from unsafe situations.

If you can't see the benefit, you never will. Less traffic, less fuel waste, safer, the advantages truly are endless. He fact that so many people blindly say no because they don't see it is the problem with us traffic laws and us drivers. We truly fail in comparison to Europeans in this regard and it's sad most are so closed minded to anything that may advance safety and congestion.

Never did i say that removing bikes from the road was the answer.

PS - "cagers" ....Really?

Never did i say that removing bikes from the road was the answer.

PS - "cagers" ....Really?

So if you think drivers are generally unaware, and you do not support this because it's unsafe due to people being unaware, then what is your suggestion because I simply do not follow.

And yes, cager. I am one, I can accept it.

Yes. 100%.

I need to meet you then, your obviously the most interesting man in the world. Seen all, done all, owned all, experienced all. Cause if your commenting on anything you've done it all surely.

I assume if this is about safety, then everyone is wearing helmets at all times while riding?

I dunno why I even give a damn. Do what ya want just don't cry for more rights when someone is popped like a pimple. And if my vehicle or family gets hit by some asshole doing this shit. I'll pull them off their bike and lane split a lead pipe right up their ass.

Let's sign a death race petition too!

Edited by truckin

I need to meet you then, your obviously the most interesting man in the world. Seen all, done all, owned all, experienced all. Cause if your commenting on anything you've done it all surely.

I assume if this is about safety, then everyone is wearing helmets at all times while riding?

I dunno why I even give a damn. Do what ya want just don't cry for more rights when someone is popped like a pimple. And if my vehicle or family gets hit by some asshole doing this shit. I'll pull them off their bike and lane split a lead pipe right up their ass.

Let's sign a death race petition too!

I always ride with a helmet.

Sometimes I take a pocket full of decent rocks, in case some asshole tries to pull me off my bike and hit me with a lead pipe.

No you shouldn't ride side by side going down the road. Staggered is how you should be so both riders can move to the side if something comes up. Doesn't change the amount of lane I take though, which causes other cars to at least take notice. I'm not riding the line though.

Didn't think about that before, needing to have room to the sides incase you have to swerve.

Honestly after thinking about it I could care less if they split lanes, im always checking my mirrors anyways so i know whats behind me nearly all the time, and whenever im behind a bike i make sure to give them enough space, be ready for breaking etc. I would feel like shit if i plowed into a biker because of my ignorance...

With as much as people talk and text while there driving (Which seems to be 90% of people which I cant stand! I refuse to text if im driving and if people call i either call them back, or say im driving and ill call them back.) im surprised there arent a lot more people on motorcycles getting hit or in an accident in general (From people not paying attention and pulling out, changing lanes, etc.)

So as a biker I can say the same thing and group you in with the rest of the retard teenage minded no attention paying texting drivers? :confused:

No, not all...

This.

It's not fair for those who try to be safe yet have to deal with a raging cager because he's too but hurt to let anyone get by.

That is fair as well. However, I have yet to see a lane splitter being anywhere remotely close to "safe". I don't rage. I "meh" and life goes on. Doesn't dismiss the fact that every single time I have witnessed lane splitting some tool was acting without regards to anyone but themselves.

People DO need to be more aware of bikers overall and that's something that needs to happen regardless of lane splitting or your thoughts about bikers.

I agree with this. That being said, every motorist needs to be more aware. Period.

I don't ride, why do bikes need to surpass traffic and get ahead? Just begging for more accidents, then the cars owners will be to blame.

Because they're better than you and their time is more valuable than yours. :gabe:

This.

That is fair as well. However, I have yet to see a lane splitter being anywhere remotely close to "safe". I don't rage. I "meh" and life goes on. Doesn't dismiss the fact that every single time I have witnessed lane splitting some tool was acting without regards to anyone but themselves.

I agree with this. That being said, every motorist needs to be more aware. Period.

Because they're better than you and their time is more valuable than yours. :gabe:

If you think this, you are part of the fundamental problem. I have to drive my truck for work 99% of the time and I'm all for lane splitting IF done safely. If 10% of commuters rode a bike, that's 10% less traffic I have to sit behind and wait on. That's 10% less fuel being wasted sitting in traffic. Now when 90% of the people see the 10% bikers "getting ahead" by splitting, they decide, hey I'm gonna do that too. Now we have 20% riding, then 30%...... I see the bigger possibilities and benefits rather than simply think of myself not being able to get ahead. ;)

Until you've heard a car schreeching it's tires behind you while their ABS kicks in and out and see them go flying past you onto the shoulder and look over at you in disbelief they almost hit you since they were too busy texting their BFF to pay attention that traffic was stopped, you really can't hold water in this debate.

Just my $.02. But what do I know, I've only put 10,000 miles on my bike per year for the last 2 years :rolleyes:

As someone who has been rear-ended a couple times, and had an F-150 dive off the shoulder at polaris last weekend to avoid rear-ending me, I'm familiar with that spine tingling fear.

I do have a question for you though, as your argument appears to be all about "saving lives". Where is the concern for drivers of unsafe cars? You know, the old tin shitbox's that fold like a cardboard box and mutilate the driver? Shouldn't we make special arrangements for them? Or do "cagers" lives not matter as much? There is an associated risk with driving a bike, you know you are at a much higher risk or injury or death every time you get on it. Just as the driver of a 87 yugo is when he stops at polaris and an F150 driver is distracted by a deer carcass on the side of the road and runs into him.

I know, I'll start a clever hashtag, seems all the rage today:

#cheapcarlivesmatter

#millionbeatermarch

If I'm understanding this argument correctly, because you put so many miles on your bike, it makes you a bike expert?

I'm averaging 30-35k+ a year currently on my cars (down from 50k+/year of years ago). Using your logic, I am a car driving expert. So I can say with authority that bikers are the problem?

Slightly Less Grant trolly post:

If everyone is okay with a little give and take, it will work.

I'm just not sure that everyone is "ready" in america. I see lots of angry people every day on the roads and I know they will try and take it out on bikers that are splitting. Especially car drivers who will plead ignorance of the law while intentionally changing lanes in front of them. Myself, and most on here have lost more than a couple friends on bikes over the years. My obvious fears are that the bikers will suffer the most while this is being implemented, both due to splitting unsafely and angry people in cars that are frustrated in rush hour.

There are bad apples in both farms, and for this to work everyone has to be bit more open minded. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath for this becoming legal here anytime soon.

Slightly Less Grant trolly post:

If everyone is okay with a little give and take, it will work.

I'm just not sure that everyone is "ready" in america. I see lots of angry people every day on the roads and I know they will try and take it out on bikers that are splitting. Especially car drivers who will plead ignorance of the law while intentionally changing lanes in front of them. Myself, and most on here have lost more than a couple friends on bikes over the years. My obvious fears are that the bikers will suffer the most while this is being implemented, both due to splitting unsafely and angry people in cars that are frustrated in rush hour.

There are bad apples in both farms, and for this to work everyone has to be bit more open minded. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath for this becoming legal here anytime soon.

Yes, but we'll never move forward if we keep claiming "America isn't ready". Most bikers know people will be out for them in the beginning and they SHOULD be extra careful, but as you said, there are bad apples on both sides. We gotta start somewhere. It's a risk I'm willing to take as both a cager and biker. I'd split if it were legal, but most likely only in stopped traffic and at a very low speed. Once traffic starts to go, I'd merge in and roll with normally as I don't feel comfortable splitting with rolling and weaving cars.

I have two points to make:

Point 1:

I've known people rear ended while in traffic on the freeway. Even the best drivers get distracted at times and simply put the bike always loses. The car is a damn metal cage with years of safety devolopment. The bike might as well be as safe as a huffy. Having lane splitting will aid in bikers safety.

Point 2:

In California with the severe traffic 20/20 iirc (or one of those type shows) did a study on the time it took a Mail currier to travel a distance, one in a car thus stuck in traffic and two, a motorcycle. It took the car 4hrs iirc and the bike less than half that time. What does this mean for everyone else including car owner? Less traffic. For every bike lane splitting that is one less car making the traffic conditions worst for other car owners.

Tl;dr

Safety

Less traffic

whenever i'm at the tail end of stopped traffic, I move to the side (still in my lane) and stay in gear to evac ASAP while looking in my mirrors the whole time

I think lane-splitting is safe for both cars and bikes so long as the rider doesn't go crazy with the speed differential

it also helps if the car driver 1) checks his mirrors frequently (as he should be) 2) has his mirrors aimed properly

it also helps if the car driver 1) checks his mirrors frequently (as he should be) 2) has his mirrors aimed properly

What would you consider proper for the mirrors? Just curious. How far out, can you see the side of your car at all, etc.?

Also like Das Borgen said, I think the speed difference would play a lot into this. Its one thing if they pass you going 5-10mph faster or so, but we dont need bikes flying through lanes with a huge speed difference.