Opinions on street/strip differential

OGRE

Rebuilding the 8.8 this spring and am not cheaping out on anything. I now have to choose a Differential.

90% street 10% DRs on the strip, Quiet operation is a must i have 2 young boys that adore this car.

only 300 at the tire now but have plans for a coyote so i need room to grow up to 500+

Right now i am leaning toward the detroit tru trac. but also have an eye on yukon or eaton, and looking for info on Ford racing torsen diff. Not a fan of auburn as they are not rebuildable. I would like to stay under $500

Edited by OGRE

Rebuilding the 8.8 this spring and am not cheaping out on anything. I now have to choose a Differential.

90% street 10% DRs on the strip, Quiet operation is a must i have 2 young boys that adore this car.

only 300 at the tire now but have plans for a coyote so i need room to grow up to 500+

Right now i am leaning toward the detroit tru trac. but also have an eye on yukon or eaton, and looking for info on Ford racing torsen diff. Not a fan of auburn as they are not rebuildable. I would like to stay under $500

:wtf:

I am a fan of clutch type posi units, rebuildable is nice but if you break something or need more then clutches in an Eaton it's just more cost effective to replace it. Just my 2 cents, seems a lot of guys like the Ford parts.

Knife to a gunfight here, but I put a Detroit Tru-Trac into a GM Corporate rearend in an old Chevy heavy-half with a 305 and 4-spd I had. It transformed the traction on that beast for less than $300.

Sounds like guys in the know are recommending the Cobra diff. Assuming it's a bolt-in, that's a no brainer to me...

I have a cobra diff already. . . after 2 years it prefers a one wheel peel out of the burnout box if the tires aren't dripping wet. and even when wet hitting the gas on a right hand turn just spins the rigth wheel.

but i see you guys point, if i'm going with a clutch typ it might as well be a trac-lok. But i'm also feeling around for other options ford racing has a torsen diff and the true trac is supposed to be pretty stout too.

cheapest route isn't the biggest factor od this build, i was almost ready to buy a whole bolt in 9" from moser.

I have a cobra diff already. . . after 2 years it prefers a one wheel peel out of the burnout box if the tires aren't dripping wet. and even when wet hitting the gas on a right hand turn just spins the rigth wheel.

but i see you guys point, if i'm going with a clutch typ it might as well be a trac-lok. But i'm also feeling around for other options ford racing has a torsen diff and the true trac is supposed to be pretty stout too.

cheapest route isn't the biggest factor od this build, i was almost ready to buy a whole bolt in 9" from moser.

You don't need a 9". 8.8 will do whatever you want it to do. who set up the rear that is in the car?

I've run a trutrac for 8 years with no issues. Drag slick launches and other abuse. I've got enough maintenance to do and I'm glad diff rebuild is not on that list. Good luck.

Sorry, forgot to mention trutrac is in 8.8

Edited by blacksunshine

cobra diff with carbon fiber clutches, cheap and rebuildable. I have a 31 spline one with chewed up spider gears if you want a fresh housing to rebuild cheap.

If this is an 8.8 irs I would also be interested if DTA09 doesn't end up getting it. I need something stronger than a T2 rear in my RX-7.