Aldi

zeitgeist57

If you're getting the bulk of your consumables somewhere else, you're paying too much for crappy products.

Once I figured out what I did and didn't like from Aldi I was saving probably a good $100-$150/mo on my groceries. There aren't any down here in SC though :(

Never have shopped there, whats the deal with no bags?

Less Overhead = Less Cost

As long as you do not need a specific brand, and are okay with a varying selection, Aldi WILL save you $$$$ over other stores, even Walmart!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

You shop there? Never been.

Yup! Wife's been going there for the last couple of years, and I went with her yesterday...she's got this whole process out: She brings in 3 bags, freezer stuff in one bag, pantry in another, fridge in another. Then, we got home and unloaded in less than 5 minutes. Her efficiency turns me on, plus I'm impressed when I'm snacking on something or cooking a steak to find out everything's coming from Aldi.

My wife and I do about 70% of our shopping at Aldi and the other 30% at Kroger. Funny part is we spend about $50 at each per week haha. We love Aldi.

:fuckyeah: We still have a couple of things that come from Green Bean Grocery delivered to our house (Snoville Creamery milk, veggies and fruit). If I just shifted regular pharmacy stuff to CVS, I'd stop going to Giant Eagle 100% now. Love Aldi.

Admittedly, you do have to find which of their private label brands works for you for things like cereal, crackers, canned goods...but their peanut butter comes from JIF, they have a great red wine called Intermingle that's bottled with Menage-a-Trois, and top-notch meats, breads, and produce. After some trial-and-error, my wife has found the bulk of things our family eats and uses through Aldi and she easily is saving a couple hundo a month.

Why am I not surprised Clay shops at the Harbor Freight of grocery stores?

Scoreboard, Samsonite...in the game of life, let's check the scoreboard. Just providing food for thought to your starving-Ethopian mind.

Never have shopped there, whats the deal with no bags?

Keeps costs down. Why pay some fatbody $15/hr to bag groceries you can do yourself?

Edited by zeitgeist57

You guys should research the Albrecht (I think I spelled that correctly) family's methodology of creating Aldi & Trader joes. The concept behind both are amazing when you think about the difference in shopping experience from the big stores.

Cliffs - less choices for single items (ie salsa - hot or mild, not 20 different kinds) makes for a more confident/fast/concise shopping experience... Which equals greater customer happiness (subconsciously).

Yep. I am typically happy with most things I get there. With there being only and option or two, if I dont like it, I put it on my other Giant Eagle list and get it there for more $$$.

My wifes family did have the most amazing ham I had ever had at their Xmas dinner....said it was from Aldi...was shocked.

We enjoy Aldi, just wish it was closer. By the time i drive all the way to aldi, then back to walmart/kroger for the items you cant get at ALDI, it's not really worth it. I do like most of their brands though. Some people, like my father, are brand snobs and refuse to eat off brand foods. Aldis meat is bad though. Very tough and crappy cuts of meat.

We tried Aldi awhile back but I was seriously unimpressed with the quality of goods we bought. Perhaps we need to be more careful about our choices there or maybe that Aldi's just kinda sucked. Either way, turned us off of it. At some point I may have to revisit it.

We shop at Aldi occasionally. Most things we've bought have been fine. Sometimes the produce at our local on is less than stellar but that mostly has to do with management. I'm also picky because I used to work in produce.

Only thing we really avoid are their vanilla wafers. They are horrible.

You know you go to Aldi on regular basis when you have an "aldi quarter" set aside just so you always have a quarter for that damn cart. lol

But yes, we do the same when food shopping, hit aldi first, get 50 to 75% of stuff we need, then get the rest from Kroger after. Far cheaper to do it that way over time, just takes a bit more time.

I mean, if you can save a good bit on stuff you already are gonna buy and consume, why not?

Aldi is pretty solid for some things. Many grocery items are still cheaper at Kroger if you buy on sale, and depending on what you want Aldi might not have it. But Aldi is good for many items especially if you can't handle buying in bulk on sale (or manager's special) at Kroger.

Worst thing about Aldi is they don't take credit cards, and usually when I go in I have to wait 10+ minutes in line which is extremely annoying. They might even be worse than wal mart in that respect.

and usually when I go in I have to wait 10+ minutes in line which is extremely annoying. They might even be worse than wal mart in that respect.

This is why we no longer shop Walmart... we just head across the street to Meijer.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Don't EVER EVER EVER go to aldi on the first or second day of the month. All your EBT and SNAP folks are in there loading up several carts each of junk food and other stuff that only has a few day shelf life. Shelves are usually pretty bare.

You know you go to Aldi on regular basis when you have an "aldi quarter" set aside just so you always have a quarter for that damn cart. lol

But yes, we do the same when food shopping, hit aldi first, get 50 to 75% of stuff we need, then get the rest from Kroger after. Far cheaper to do it that way over time, just takes a bit more time.

I mean, if you can save a good bit on stuff you already are gonna buy and consume, why not?

The Aldi quarter is in both my wife's car and my truck, lol.

Don't EVER EVER EVER go to aldi on the first or second day of the month. All your EBT and SNAP folks are in there loading up several carts each of junk food and other stuff that only has a few day shelf life. Shelves are usually pretty bare.

The first week of every month is off limits for us, no matter the store.