Need a shade-tree mechanic to hire

BigOxley

I have my Dad's 1968 C10 Pick-up at my house (doesn't run). It ran really rough when he bought it a couple years ago and started tearing the engine apart. Needless to say, he never put it back together.

I sent to a guy in the Xenia area last summer to fix. Excuse after excuse, he never ended up doing anything to it. He said he completed a leakdown test and it showed 2 cylinders leaking 90% (I don't believe him)

I'd like to find someone to come out to my place and button it up, clean out the valley, re-install the manifold/carburetor/filter, install distributor, radiator fan, drain fuel tank, and trouble shoot if any other problems arise.

I don't have the time and know-how to do it properly. I'd rather not tow again, I have $300 in towing already.

Located in Grandview Heights.

Edit: corrected year

Edited by BigOxley

Nice looking truck. Why did he tear it apart? Did he think he knew what was wrong with it?

he's one of those 1950s/60s kids who think they can fix anything. He thought there was an intake manifold seal leak. He bought all new parts and threw away others for no good reason, like the radiator fan.

Have you thought about just rebuilding the engine since it is already partially disassembled? At least that way you would have a good chance of it running properly and it last a while. I would be willing to take a look at it when it gets warmer if you like, but if you want it done over the winter it may be better to have someone pull the motor so it can be worked on somewhere warm.

Have you thought about just rebuilding the engine since it is already partially disassembled? At least that way you would have a good chance of it running properly and it last a while. I would be willing to take a look at it when it gets warmer if you like, but if you want it done over the winter it may be better to have someone pull the motor so it can be worked on somewhere warm.

Yeah, that's an option I thought about. Might be cheaper in the long run

I'm not interested in working on it, but if it's been sitting apart for long you likely just created bigger issues then it had before. Sounds like pulling the engine and going through it sound be an option to consider. Seems like it'll get put together just to figure out what is really wrong with it, just to tear it all apart again, this is exactly why you'll have trouble finding a decent tech who wants to deal with what has been turned into a basket case.

Crate engine. Bam. Done. Keep the matching number 396 parts for when he sells the truck later on and someone else wants to restore it. You can get a basic 454 crate engine with a warranty for about $2700 which is about what you are going to spend to rebuild the ancient 396 anyway. It sounds like a flippant answer I know but it's actually the cheapest and shortest way when you factor in all the time and energy you are going to spend to make this run.

Crate engine. Bam. Done. Keep the matching number 396 parts for when he sells the truck later on and someone else wants to restore it. You can get a basic 454 crate engine with a warranty for about $2700 which is about what you are going to spend to rebuild the ancient 396 anyway. It sounds like a flippant answer I know but it's actually the cheapest and shortest way when you factor in all the time and energy you are going to spend to make this run.

I like this idea for what you're talking about. I assume you could rebuild it for less than $2700, but if you replace all the nuts, bolts, gaskets (no Chinese junk) machine work if it needs some, etc... It always costs more than you think it will. If you really can get a basic crate motor for $2700 I think that would not increase the cost too much over a rebuild and you get a warranty and a running truck.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12491353/overview/make/chevrolet

ok so they are $2800 now, but that is from summit. It's too bad it isn't a boat as the marine assemblies get even cheaper. According to those roadkill guys on youtube you can even do the engine swap in the summit parking lot (I probably wouldn't try it).

I actually just ordered small block engine mount pedestals today.

:no: Say it ain't so. That makes me want to come put it back together. Everything about this truck makes it awesome (other than the long bed), ESPECIALLY the big block option.

Oh yeah, my dad used it to collect debris. Judging by your concern, I'm guessing that wasn't a good idea.

Was just curious, not what I normally see.

Everything about this truck makes it awesome (other than the long bed), ESPECIALLY the big block option.

Can't agree with you more. This thing is badass! Too bad its not a short bed, but oh well. Those are probably getting hard to find, especially a clean shortbed C10. A good small block swap or a LS swap would be perfect for this thing, and LS motors or LS-Based motors are getting so cheap now. Only thing with the LS is you have to get a computer for it. Could probably find that with a trans and everything at a JY for a decent price. Truck is begging for a 5.3 or 6.0 with a 4l60.

5.3/4L60E

I'm sure painless or someone makes a pretty much PnP unit for these. it seems like the best bang for the buck and efficient route.

I like the idea, but then the fuel system needs an upgrade.

However, If you get a combo like that with an A/C compressor, looks like you could have a shop replumb the old system with the new compressor. Would be pimp to put modern R-134 A/C in that bauce.

There is a good TRUCKS! episode with a LS swap on a C10. Looked super simple with space and tools (two things I don't have.) the biggest thing was installing a new gas tank and pump, which involved some fabrication to the bed. Engine and transmission bolted right in. Exhaust manifolds didn't fit without some frame modification, but some more research I found that newer Camaro SS manifolds fit without modification. There is a company that will reset/rewire the PCM for under $500ish