Tips for parting out a car

AudiOn19s

AudiOn19s has been with me for 13 years and many happy miles. The end of our journey is near. There's enough little things wrong with it that I feel like its a liability to sell it.

Had I been thinking this just a couple weeks ago I would have donated it for the tax write-off. Missed that window and too impatient to sit on that for another year.

So I'm thinking of parting it out. Looking for feedback from those who have gone down this path before.

You could still donate it and get the tax write-off next year. As far as parting it out goes it could be a long process depending on how far you want to go with it. Depending on mileage and the issues, I don't see why you couldnt sell it for 1000 - 1500 (assuming higher mileage and some maintenance needing done) with tax season coming up, some hood rich guy would probably snap it up to put 20's on it lol.

I would post on OhioVW Classifieds. I'm an admin on there so if anyone gives you a rough time just let me know. A lot of people on there are tire kickers, but you never know.

Is ohiovw forum still around? I swear I looked for it recently and couldn't find it. I'm not on Facebook but could hijack my wife's account.

Not sure what the demand is like for older Audi's (AUDI LOL :gabe: ) but if there is a substantial following you should have no problem selling the parts on ebay.

Parted my last SC out (to the bone); used a fair amount of parts on my current SC, sold the rest easily on ebay. Here again there is a substantial following for these cars and parts sell no-problem. If I wasn't going to use the parts and/or I had a hard time unloading them I would have never, ever parted it out. Or at the very most cherry-picked a few of the easier, high-dollar/high demand items then scrapped the rest.

not sure what going price is now but last year i scrapped one at columbus auto shredding and got 600.00 bucks.. you cant have a gas tank or tires on it or they give you a weight deduction.. but it would be easy to get out rear quick and sell the wheels seperate. cut the catalytic converters off and take to ace scrap iron they are worth around 100-150 if it has the downpipe with pre and post cat converter... part any other small items off before it goes to shredder.. could easily get 1000-1500 total im sure

not sure what going price is now but last year i scrapped one at columbus auto shredding and got 600.00 bucks.. you cant have a gas tank or tires on it or they give you a weight deduction

How the hell do you transport a car with no Tires? Roll it on the (steel) wheels? Is that $600 based on just the (metal) scrap value or parts too? I only got like $275 for my shell & cat @ ACE 3 years ago :(.

Andy if you're honest about all the repairs that are needed I don't see anything immoral about it... think about your time parting it out when it could be sold whole with known problems for 1500 at least Edited by zeitgeist57

Andy if you're honest about all the repairs that are needed I don't see anything unmoral about it... think about your time parting it out when it could be sold whole with known problems for 1500 at least

I went through this with a CLEAN high mileage '02 B6: by the time you get done explaining what needs to be fixed (and how much it will cost to fix it) the car is well beyond worthless. It's an Audi thing :p.

Andy if you're honest about all the repairs that are needed I don't see anything unmoral about it... think about your time parting it out when it could be sold whole with known problems for 1500 at least

I guess that's what I'm really trying to evaluate. I still drive it almost every day.

How the hell do you transport a car with no Tires? Roll it on the (steel) wheels? Is that $600 based on just the (metal) scrap value or parts too? I only got like $275 for my shell & cat @ ACE 3 years ago :(.

Take the wheels off at the scrap yard. They let my brother do it with his old van.

Yeah take wheels off there they will put car on scale with front end loader.. And yes I got 600 for complete car minus wheels... Only other thing I took out was gas tank and cat. You can call them they have a 24 hour voicemail that tells you current pricing per ton

My Passat is in FL. Still driving, and that alone in that crazy state makes it an easy $1000 sale.

Is it Quattro? I can't imagine an AWD Audi would be less than $1000-$1500 if it's a driver.

Mine is still driving fine too. It's sitting outside my window at work right now.

I guess my quest was since I'm bored for the winter and have all the garage space I want currently I'm trying to figure out if I should take it apart and maximize profits or just sell as-is.

1.8T motor in running condition is worth $800-1000. My car is an AEB engine code and that head is the one to have for higher HP 1.8T based builds. 15's with good snows are probably worth $250. 19" with decent rubber worth $500-600. custom front bumper needs painted but worth maybe $150-200. Tranny is worth a couple hundred. ECU with GIAC chip worth something. After that it's all gravy and then in a few months scrap the rest. Seems attractive but so does just selling as-is I suppose.

Is ohiovw forum still around? I swear I looked for it recently and couldn't find it. I'm not on Facebook but could hijack my wife's account.

The site I think is still online but it is not active anymore. The OhioVW side is on facebook and the Ohio VW classifieds is also listed on facebook now. From the items you listed above that you would like to move, I would imagine they would move pretty quickly.

+1 on the wheels. What kind are they?

Sell it whole! I would only part out a car if the body is shot but the motor/tranny is still good.

If it still looks good from a distance, let's say 10 feet, sell it whole. If it looks good from 100 feet away, pull the motor/tranny/wheels and scrap it.