Incredible Universe

2 Sweet

Extremely random this thread is here. During shift change this morning one of the guys was talking about this store and I'm the only one who remembered it. It was a cross between Best Buy and Sharper Image...lots of cool high end somewhat needless electronics. I remembering wow'ing over a $4k Pioneer Laser Disc player.

The guy who was talking about the Incredible Universe got mad because no one remembered it....he went on to complain "you probably don't know what Borders is or Media Play!"

I miss some of those brick and mortar stores.

Extremely random this thread is here. During shift change this morning one of the guys was talking about this store and I'm the only one who remembered it.

EXACTLY the same thing I went through lol. Nobody else I talked to remembered it either except one other guy

I wasn't around here when this was open. I do remember, when I got back from Japan in 96, there was one in Auburn Washington, at the supermall. I bought my first cell phone from there. It was the Motorola flip phone that kinda resembled a tricorder from Star Trek. That thing was huge by today's standards. It was definitely a cool store.

I wasn't around here when this was open. I do remember, when I got back from Japan in 96, there was one in Auburn Washington, at the supermall. I bought my first cell phone from there. It was the Motorola flip phone that kinda resembled a tricorder from Star Trek. That thing was huge by today's standards. It was definitely a cool store.

The RAZR!

I bought a Pioneer sound system from there in 1995. Although I have replaced the amplifier twice since then, I still have the original speakers, dual cassette deck, and 100-CD changer. Great Pioneer quality.

Thanks for posting this. I had moved to Ohio in the fall of '95 after living in Panama for 5 years, and my dad took me to this place. I was amazed at how large and full of electronics it was. I lived in Ashville at the time, so I didn't know the layout of Columbus very well. Once I moved to Columbus and got familiar with it, Incredible Universe was long gone. I always wondered where it was located. The only thing I could remember was that that my dad would take 270 West from US-23 North. That's all I could remember. I keep forgetting to ask my dad everytime I see him, and he probably doesn't even remember the place.

It's pretty crazy that now that I know where it is, I see I have been in the area several times. My wife likes to go to United Art & Education, which is nearby.

Dang, you got me all nostalgic. :)

I got my first subwoofers there...a pair of Orion XDR-15DVCs. I had them in a nice ported enclosure that was basically my entire trunk with 500 watts pushing each one.

On their 3rd or 4th anniversary of the opening, they got a flyby of the P-51 the company sponsored for the Reno Air Races. That was impressive.

I'm not an ohioan by birth so Incredible Universe never was a thing for me. But in NYC we had something similar called "The Wiz". Their Slogan "Nobody beats the Wiz!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiz_%28store%29

they were huge and then one day just gone. In the 80's they used to have a franzetta style wizard as their mascot.

I'm not an ohioan by birth so Incredible Universe never was a thing for me. But in NYC we had something similar called "The Wiz". Their Slogan "Nobody beats the Wiz!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiz_%28store%29

they were huge and then one day just gone. In the 80's they used to have a franzetta style wizard as their mascot.

Oh, that really existed? I thought it was some made up store from Seinfeld.