Selling a house, experiences

cybe

I put my Grandparents home in Dublin on the market Feb 1st and had an offer that same day. I removed a lot of wallpaper and repainted. Had probably 10 showings lined up the first day and the second day. They made an offer, I came back with a counter offer and they accepted. We close the 20th. Talk about a quick sell. Now I am just dealing with the home inspection to finalize the contract. You will usually get a lot of action the first few weeks after the listing shows up on radar.

On another note, I think your house is under value. I'm not an agent, and I don't claim to be, but I am real estate investor with a mediocre little portfolio- I really think you could get 149,900 from it.

Im gonna jump on the boat as well. When we were talking about selling our house last summer, the realtor told us house under 150k and in good shape in columbus were hard to come by and when they did come, they sold quick..

Good luck, if i had any critique it woudl be to Killz that kids room, and neutralize it. Do you have any backyard pics?

I am stealing the Dr Seuss quote idea on kids walls from you . But I wouldn't change a thing in your house it will sell without them let people come back as conditions if they want if it really doesn't sell after all of these showings and a few weeks then I would repaint a lot of the darker colors and the kids room example that green wall also I would look to changing light fixtures , appliances and the kitchen floor but like I said I believe it will sell without any of that.

Glad i found this, has been very informative. However it is also making me nervous to try and sell our house now in fear of not finding what we want. And i still have about 2 months of work left before our will be ready to list.

What is best for resale- Tile or carpet in the finish part of the basement? And does anyone have any advise in searching for land?

whats the recommended steps to have something lined up?

I mean I know that sounds like a dumb questions but I cant buy something before my house is sold. I can try to get a contigent contract but nobody is forced to hold a house.

You guys are making me paranoid now. :fuuuu:

How far NE are you? We are looking to go further NE of where we are in Westerville now.

Glad i found this, has been very informative. However it is also making me nervous to try and sell our house now in fear of not finding what we want. And i still have about 2 months of work left before our will be ready to list.

What is best for resale- Tile or carpet in the finish part of the basement? And does anyone have any advise in searching for land?

How far NE are you? We are looking to go further NE of where we are in Westerville now.

In a basement, tile for sure.

This.

Not this. Basements are already naturally known as "cold and darker", even if it's finished. Carpet offers warmth and makes it feel like it's more part of the house.

I agree IF there is a bedroom, otherwise avoid moisture/maintenance issues with tile.

Paint all rooms neutral colors. I would not replace flooring or appliances. Just have everything clean and all neutral colors. If your basement is dry do carpet.

^^ this. so close to a listing you're not going to get credit for maybe 50% of the costs. I'd only replace the carpet if it's trashed. Leave room for an allowance maybe.

I would completely paint and neutralize the house. IMO the majority of folks moving in, unless they are looking for a fixer upper, don't want to do shit and would rather have move in condition. I'm like that and would completely pass on doing any work. I'd request the seller do it if it wasn't done. Moving is a hassle enough without having to dick around with even small things upon move in.

Ask Brian how much paint helps move a house :)

I had carpet and pergo in the basement where I sorta-finished it for a home theater. I liked the pergo better, cold carpet is a moisture trap. YMMV.

Hey, I just put that kitchen floor down a month ago! ;) Yeah, the area's not what it used to be. I've been around here for 30 years. It's recovering now, but it has seen hardship in the last 5 years.

We got an offer last night, but it's just too low at 120k. By my math, that's 120k minus 6% for the realtor, minus 3k for closing/warranty, a couple hundred for title work leaves me holding something like 108. And that ain't right.

If we can't get a reasonable offer in the next week or so, I'll get to paintin'. Carpet's like new, and I'm not spending anything on appliances.

This.

Not this. Basements are already naturally known as "cold and darker", even if it's finished. Carpet offers warmth and makes it feel like it's more part of the house.

I agree IF there is a bedroom, otherwise avoid moisture/maintenance issues with tile.

This is my toss up. If i was keeping, i would go with tile. However i can't decide if the avg home buyer would rather have the worm feeling of carpet.

I would be a little more worried about the moisture if i had not replaced all the drain tile myself last year.

Edited by Big A

Congratulations! We're still countering with the first people to offer, but they started at 120. Then 125, then 127. I'll approve it at 130 or they can walk. We're up to 8 showings, but only the 1 offer.

I made a mistake listing the house at what I felt was a fair price. I think if I would've listed it at 139, per my realtor's advice - I'd already have an acceptable offer.

And I should've finished painting. If the deal falls through, I will.

YMMV.

Congratulations! We're still countering with the first people to offer, but they started at 120. Then 125, then 127. I'll approve it at 130 or they can walk. We're up to 8 showings, but only the 1 offer.

I made a mistake listing the house at what I felt was a fair price. I think if I would've listed it at 139, per my realtor's advice - I'd already have an acceptable offer.

And I should've finished painting. If the deal falls through, I will.

YMMV.

If they haven't accepted your offer, you aren't in contract and you can still paint.

Also, if you're really close on a price, you can accept with the understanding that you will do little to nothing to fix items found during inspection.

Also, if you're really close on a price, you can accept with the understanding that you will do little to nothing to fix items found during inspection.

This is what's happening - they want the bottom dollar, that's what they get and no more.

• 1 month later...

Mine was on the market for 7 days. Had 2 showings (same people) and basically got full asking price.

Found a place in Gahanna/Blacklick with 2 acres that we're in contract with now. A little more than we wanted to spend but time was short and finding any amount of land close to town is tough.

Closing on both the 3rd week of this month.