black smoke at start-up?

PRD2BDF

I'm not that mechanically inclined but is it normal to see black smoke for a few seconds at a cold start-up in this weather. I noticed it on my car. I know that cars will run rich when cold to help getting started andnrun until warmed up sufficiently.

I didn't know if this belonged in tech or not since it isn't really a problem but more of a curiosity.

I'm not that mechanically inclined but is it normal to see black smoke for a few seconds at a cold start-up in this weather. I noticed it on my car. I know that cars will run rich when cold to help getting started andnrun until warmed up sufficiently.

I didn't know if this belonged in tech or not since it isn't really a problem but more of a curiosity.

Don't you have a tune on this car?

Ok guy comes in and asks an honest question in tech, you guys are being fucking dicks.6 replies and not one worth a damn.

Black smoke is typical of running rich, typically a modern car doesn't need to run rich enough to produce black smoke ever. That being said the cold does all kinds of crap do cars, so I'm not really sure if this is an issue you should put much worry into. As long as it doesn't last long or produce a lot of black smoke I would wait until it gets warm and see if it goes away. If lasts longer then the first 5-10 seconds I wouldn't think that is normal on anything, typically the ECM injects additional fuel on start up but it never lasts long.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Cordell.

I thought it was unusual that a modern car produced black smoke at startup. The car was sitting outside during this bitter cold. Like I said, it only lasted maybe 2-3 seconds. No other symptoms such as rough idling, struggling to stay running, etc was present.

It could be like you said, extra fuel to get it started.