is Jack Baruth on here?

Geeto67

you know, that "Truth about cars" guy? I think he lives in Powell. Did the CTS-V challenge with him back in 2009 but didn't get to meet him then, want to meet him now after reading about the adventure with a 900,000 mile Lexus.

Jack B.

It's gone now...no need to go searching for old posts. :) There was a "purge" a few years ago of old user IDs where they were locked out due to duplicate users, bots, bans, etc...IIRC went from over 7k members to under 2500 active users and now it's building back up again. I'm pretty sure his username was purged back then.

I will say this since we are talking about it, all the good contributors I liked from jalopnik back when I used to sorta contribute some how ended up at TTAC. Murlee Martin esp.

It used to piss me off to no end when Wes Siler used to tell me, that "Murlee Martin stuff is crap. Nobody reads that". I read that. I liked it a lot.

He also writes for Road & Track magazine. He's on Facebook but due to the nature of his job and internet heathens he is non-existent on there(he pissed off some of the VWvortex folks writing about the new GTI when he said he'd rather have the Fiesta ST).

He was also a regular at autocross back in the day here but his colorful commentary wasn't appreciated by all.

He came off a lot better in person than online. Online he would offend a lot of people with his comments, then when it came out that he shot (and killed?) a forum members family member and served time in jail for it a lot of people turned against him.

He came off a lot better in person than online. Online he would offend a lot of people with his comments, then when it came out that he shot (and killed?) a forum members family member and served time in jail for it a lot of people turned against him.

say what now?

:popcorn:

just ran a google search on this and the only thing was him discharging a weapon in public at another car back in feb 1998. Of course the only source is this article/conspiracy theory about GM running a smear campaign on him so it is dubious at best:

http://dailykanban.com/2013/09/the-rencen-commentaries-a-smear-campaign-in-wikipedia-and-mating-with-monkeys/

Man Sentenced to Prison After Shooting at Motorist

Associated Press, 15 Feb 1998 – COLUMBUS, Ohio — A man who said he felt threatened by another motorist and retaliated with gunfire was found guilty of aggravated assault and sentenced to 4½ years in prison. John C. Baruth, 26, of Columbus, originally had been charged with attempted murder and felonious assault. The prison term includes the maximum sentence of 18 months for the assault and three years for using a gun in a crime. Baruth cannot be paroled early. Prior to sentencing Baruth on Friday, Judge Lisa Sadler of Franklin County Common Pleas Court told him, “There was absolutely no justification for use of a deadly weapon.” Baruth, who worked for a check-cashing… (

bummer.

You have to be a real interesting dude to paint a brand new S5 lime green.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to stalk him online.

That color was a factory option.

Jack is an awesome guy that is no longer on the board. Like Eli said, he irritated a lot of sensor members because he has a unique way of talking to people that only a few liked. He is a wealth of knowledge though.

That color was a factory option.

Didn't he have to order it through the personalization option? It was the same color combo interior/exterior as a vintage 911 RS.

he has a unique way of talking to people that only a few liked.

Didn't he make a post about how boating was for white trash?

I have nothing against the guy. We got along in person, I had been to his house, and he even let me borrow his helmet at M-O one time. I only bring this up because that's when I remember things getting ugly around here.

Didn't he have to order it through the personalization option? It was the same color combo interior/exterior as a vintage 911 RS.

I have nothing against the guy. We got along in person, I had been to his house, and he even let me borrow his helmet at M-O one time. I only bring this up because that's when I remember things getting ugly around here.

Audi Exclusive order, yes.

You can have *nearly* anything in the VAG family, minus some Lambo colors IIRC.

LOL, yes he did. And it was awesome.

He didn't piss off the Brothers Green, he pulled a gun on someone that happened to have family on here or something along those lines. Thus, why he's a felon.

^ Slightly less ridiculous than Alex Rodriguez's handwritten apology (But its damn close). ^

Jack has always been strongly opinionated and def rubs some the wrong way like any journalist. He gets a lot of "feedback" online in particular, reading a lot of it people in general just need to relax as its just an opinion but it keeps him off of a lot of the social media and such as people take stuff way too seriously.

Lol, he's pretty harmless like most. I've been out of my car more than a few times to chat with folks, though never pulled a gun. Have you ever seen some of the shit people say to these journalists online? I'd be packing some serious heat if I was one.....

Lol, he's pretty harmless like most. I've been out of my car more than a few times to chat with folks, though never pulled a gun. Have you ever seen some of the shit people say to these journalists online? I'd be packing some serious heat if I was one.....

The incident happened when he was working at a check cashing place, long before he was an auto journalist.