Best Car for $4k

AudiOn19s

Reasonable, economical and practical cars aren't really my thing. What's the best way to spend $4k on something that's decent.

Need to find something for my mother-in-law in FL. She's got about 4k to spend but her idea of buying a car is taking the bus to the nearest buy here pay here shop and walking out with a pile of crap that runs for a couple of months and then gives up the ghost.

We bought her a car a couple of years ago that she had for 1.5 years down there and didn't take care of so I took it back because it was my money/ car and she wasn't maintaining it. This time around it's on her dime but I'd prefer to find her something that'll somewhat last when driven by someone who won't take care of it.

Suggestions?

Buddy of mine just bout an older Grand Marquis that's actually not a bad ride. Not exactly economical but at least she'd be safe in something like that.

My grandma, who is in her 80's, has been driving a 92 Grand Marquis for EVER. Little things broken (passenger's power window failure) but it indeed cannot be killed.

She's actually selling it now for around $1200 - but that doesn't help you out in Florida...

Sounds like the bus ain't such a bad idea. $4k in bus fairs will take her a lot farther than she'd get in a cheap car she won't maintain.

Maybe a VW Bug..... Can't get more simple or bullet proof than air cooled without computers, right?

On the more serious side, since most cars are designed with obsolescence in mind these days, if you don't take care of it, it won't matter what badge is on the hood. I'd say if you are going to roll the dice, just find anything with low miles and safe tires.

Buddy of mine just bout an older Grand Marquis that's actually not a bad ride. Not exactly economical but at least she'd be safe in something like that.

Agreed...that's like a Honda Civic in FL...tons available and easy for OP's to own.

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/8227241/1997-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-GS-Naples-FL

Sounds like the bus ain't such a bad idea. $4k in bus fairs will take her a lot farther than she'd get in a cheap car she won't maintain.

Maybe a VW Bug..... Can't get more simple or bullet proof than air cooled without computers, right?

On the more serious side, since most cars are designed with obsolescence in mind these days, if you don't take care of it, it won't matter what badge is on the hood. I'd say if you are going to roll the dice, just find anything with low miles and safe tires.

This.

With that in mind... personally look for an older Jetta.

I have this for sale... was the GF's daily driver for a while. She ended up getting something FWD for the snow. This Sc300 has been parked since fall.

Let me know if you are interested. Newer tires and its a solid daily with zero rust.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4828385145.html

I have this for sale... was the GF's daily driver for a while. She ended up getting something FWD for the snow. This Sc300 has been parked since fall.

Let me know if you are interested. Newer tires and its a solid daily with zero rust.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4828385145.html

Doesn't fit the reasonable, economical, or practical requirement, and isn't a heap. Super reliable..

I second an SC300

You can find many civics, or a a4 if wanting awd, or I would also suggest if looking for something bigger but not economic a blazer. I beat the loss out of my blazer and it never failed to start or get me anywhere

We got her a 1.8T Jetta before and the damn thing ate a coil pack and she thought it was blown up and had no money to fix it so refused to take it to a shop so it just sat. Our next visit it took me 2 minutes to diagnose and $40 to fix it and it was back on the road. Maybe if I could find her a 2.0L but even then VW / Audi does such a crap job with automatic transmissions that they are always a question mark unless regularly cared for....which she just won't do.

I do realize that everything requires regular maintenance but I'm looking for that maintenance to be as simplified as possible. Timing belts and coil packs for VW's might be a minor deal and regular maintenance to us but it's a major setback for her.

Wife had a Focus w/ 2.0 when we started dating that she didn't take care of. Hadn't changed the oil in 2 years and ran like a champ with an undiscovered blown head gasket until I changed the oil before trade-in (sorry Nick!). Transmission had issues getting in gear in the cold but that shouldn't be an issue in Florida.

Wife had a Focus w/ 2.0 when we started dating that she didn't take care of. Hadn't changed the oil in 2 years and ran like a champ with an undiscovered blown head gasket until I changed the oil before trade-in (sorry Nick!). Transmission had issues getting in gear in the cold but that shouldn't be an issue in Florida.

What the hell dude? Price just went up on that ST!

Sounds like she needs to just buy a $500 car, junk them when she kills them, and repeat.

a 2.0L VW engine still needs cam followers and coil packs every once in a while. and timing belts.

buy her a car with a non interference motor off this list. that way when she breaks a timing belt she doesn't have to junk the car:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

What the hell dude? Price just went up on that ST!

I don't even know what the price is.

Sounds like she needs to just buy a $500 car, junk them when she kills them, and repeat.

Best idea. If she wants nice things she has to treat them nicely.

Tell me more about what to look for in a focus?

A Zetec or a Duratec. The 2.0 SPI single-cam 4-cylinders are unreliable.

The 2.0 Zetec is olllld tech, cast-iron, very reliable - but has a timing belt that needs to be serviced every 90,000 miles or so (although it's not an interference engine, so it's not a deal-breaker). The all-aluminum 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec use a timing chain instead, and are probably the better choice of the two.

Every Focus from 2005-on used a Duratec, so unless you are looking at a 2000-2004 model, it won't even be a factor.

My 2002 Focus was the biggest piece of shit i ever owned. My 1997 dodge neon was a much better car (that should tell you how bad the focus was).

I bought it with 88k on the clock. Radio didnt work, speedo didnt work, alternator went out, and had a score of other electrical issues. Not to mention the rust. The engine started 90/10 times so i guess it had that going for it, which was nice.