Run in's with the law

S-13

if there is no quota why do you see more people pulled over and more city cops sitting on the highways, along with troppers towards the end of the month..and thats every month..

There is actually a law in Ohio against ticket quotas. I would search for it but I'm lazy. There was a cop talking about it, basically what he said is: There are no longer quotas, however cops do get a big pat on the back if they bring in the most tickets, and are recognized if they get the most during the month.

So although there aren't actual "quotas" cops do get rewarded for giving more tickets.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're so inattentative that you didn't see the state trooper before you rode a wheelie by him, how can you argue that you'll see that stop sign/child/car/pedestrian? You really don't think you deserved a ticket for that?

Woah, easy man. You were not there and don't know the location. Where did I say I never deserved a ticket? The only reason I did not get a ticket is because I have a very clean record. The trooper made sure I knew that. I think you got the wrong impression, I'm not a "stunter." Lastly this was a 1st-2nd wheelie that was about 2in or so off the ground. I guess I made it seem like I was high up in the air when I said I put it back down. Don't be so quick to pass judgement.

Taken from page 20 of the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws

"This motorcycle TIPIC will allow you to practice

for the motorcycle skills test by riding during daylight hours with no

passengers. The motorcycle TIPIC is not valid on congested roads and

interstate highways, and you must wear an approved protective helmet"

temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC)

mm'kay stick to the back roads boys :violin:

The only ticket I've got is a 35 in a 25. it was bullshit. it was an empty, 4-lane road with absolutely no traffic on a friday afternoon. only person on the road was the cop speed trapping at 6pm. I would have a clean record if it wasnt for that. oh and i was driving a Geo Metro...

I did get pulled over for having no taillights on my car on St Pattys this year. Cop did the whole "follow my pen" thing and said my eye were bouncing around (i had my roommate check 3 minutes later when i got home, no bounce), no way i only had 3 drinks over an hour ago, he didn't join the force yesterday... let me off with a warning but said he coulda taken me in for OVI. But I have a feeling he was just tryin to scare me.

odd side note, i've never been ticketed in a vehicle I own. All 3 of my tickets have been in my dad's various cars over the years. Which made up >2% of my total driving time.

Edited by smashweights

From the persepctive of a police officer here, there are officers that do not know m/c laws. I do and I also stop bikes if I need to. I have had bikes run from me and it is stupid. This B/S of some bikers to say that they will not stop for a cop is just, that B/S. Run and kill not only run the risk of killing yourself, but the officer and innocent motorists.

I generally do not write tickets to anyone unless you really deserve it. 15+ over, no-ops, ovi, or you have a warrant or another reason you need to go to jail.

Edited by bdruggan10r

The only ticket I've got is a 35 in a 25. it was bullshit. it was an empty, 4-lane road with absolutely no traffic on a friday afternoon. only person on the road was the cop speed trapping at 6pm. I would have a clean record if it wasnt for that.

I did get pulled over for having no taillights on my car on St Pattys this year. Cop did the whole "follow my pen" thing and said my eye were bouncing around (i had my roommate check 3 minutes later when i got home, no bounce), no way i only had 3 drinks over an hour ago, he didn't join the force yesterday... let me off with a warning but said he coulda taken me in for OVI. But I have a feeling he was just tryin to scare me.

The fact that the officer was there meant that you were not alone. :popcorn::violin:And what qualified it as a speed trap, that you were caught? And 6PM is the evening, not afternoon.

HGN or Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus is acurate to determine level of intoxicatication. If the officer did see Nystagmus, then chances are, he did see a level of alcohol influence in your eyes. Your room mate would have to have extensive training in checking HGN in order to see and check for HGN. It is not just a matter of waving a pen (or stylus) in front of someone's eyes to see the involuntary bouncing in their eyes. He, the officer, apparently did not see enough to think that you were over the legal limit.

Edited by bdruggan10r

what qualifies as an OVI vs. DUI?

for what it's worth, i got the lights fixed and it did scare the shit out of me.

OVI / DUI. Same thing, the State of Ohio just changed the language so that any vehicle could qualify for the offense, even a bar stool with a motor. :rulez:

ok so not "alone" but he was sitting in he median on campus gunning people/me. I was only about 150 yards from where i pulled out of the parking lot to where he was too... i guess i define speed trap as sitting around gunning people. The real reason it upset me was i hadnt had a ticket in ALMOST 3 years, which would have given me a good break on my relatively high bike insurance.

evening/afternoon who cares. ;)

I got a good one.... was driving a '92 civic sedan that was painted to the hilt. Had my company name and # on the back deck, rims, ect. The catch was that those danm cars the plate bolts (rear) seize up and you can't hardly do anything about it. Well, the car had only been done for about 2 weeks and I had the back plate jambed high left side of the back window, which was real visible from a long ways back. Not perfectly legal, but very visible. Twit of a Highway patrol man pulled me over, wife and kid in the car, you know what the first question this idiot asked me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS YOUR CAR? Well, Duh.......... no, I always take my wife and kid with me to hiest a car that couldn't hide if it had to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUMBASS..... That was his only question and or reason for pulling me over... never said anything else.

If I'm not mistaken congested road could depend on the time of day to the mood the officer is in, its a discretionary call. I dont know anyone that would consider 126 congested at 5pm on a Saturday between Ridge and Plainfield.

I have another story where a cop (for reasons that I can not explain) gave me a warning. I'm going to make this long story short. I was traveling waaaay way too fast down the highway at night with only my temporary permit at the time. That's three different violations. I turned off of my exit and was cruising along when a motorcycle flew past the van behind me. I didn't know it was a cop 'til he was next to me yelling at me to pull over. After he ran the plates/id/etc. he got back on his bike, put his helmet on and just said "I bet you didn't expect a cop on a motorcycle did you?" then pulled away. I just stood there in amazement that he didn't ticket me and impound the bike. Keep in mind I was on the highway, at night, speeding, with only temps.

Run and kill not only run the risk of killing yourself, but the officer and innocent motorists.

Once you decide to pursue a chase, then that's your problem if you die. It's the law that the runner is charged with murder because of it, but if you want to chase as an officer then you should be in charge of your own life if you get over your head and can't handle it. OH! I do not approve of running from the law either....well atleast in traffic. That's just my citizen opinion. :D:popcorn:

I find it funny too that a cop would have a sportbike too and say they've never been over the speed limit. I don't know how they can live with themselves and give a speeding ticket in good faith.:nono: Fucking hypocrits. That's just my citizen opinion. :D:popcorn:

Edited by NinjaNick

The fact that the officer was there meant that you were not alone. :popcorn::violin:And what qualified it as a speed trap, that you were caught? And 6PM is the evening, not afternoon.

HGN or Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus is acurate to determine level of intoxicatication. If the officer did see Nystagmus, then chances are, he did see a level of alcohol influence in your eyes. Your room mate would have to have extensive training in checking HGN in order to see and check for HGN. It is not just a matter of waving a pen (or stylus) in front of someone's eyes to see the involuntary bouncing in their eyes. He, the officer, apparently did not see enough to think that you were over the legal limit.

:plus1::banana:

NinjaNick - So what your saying is anytime an officer feels over his head he should turn around and go back home? Hell if that was the case then any officer responding to an active shooter, murder, stabbing, shooting, etc..protecting the rest of the public does not matter and we should just turn the other way and run? The entire idea of officers putting their life on the line everyday involves us entering situations to apprehend an offender in which a normal citizen would be going the other way. But thats just educated law enforcement opinion:D:popcorn: come do a ride along in our city and you might have a different citizen opinion ;)

Holy crap dude! I'd love to do a ride along honestly. :cool: If you can set it up and are serious, I'd LOVE TO! :woo: Just let me know.

To reply though, I was meaning that the reason the bike is running is because of the cop. Stop chasing him and he won't be running. Get his license plate and stop if it's too dangerous and get him at his place of residence.

got my second ticket in 4 years last friday on 33. the plane got us (tomcat and I) by stopwatch.

cops were real cool guys and can't complain. every warning or instance i've gotten with an officer was a good one and have nothing to bitch about. maybe you guys who talk shit about them just get unlucky or stop inflating your ego?

:plus1::banana:

NinjaNick - So what your saying is anytime an officer feels over his head he should turn around and go back home? Hell if that was the case then any officer responding to an active shooter, murder, stabbing, shooting, etc..protecting the rest of the public does not matter and we should just turn the other way and run? The entire idea of officers putting their life on the line everyday involves us entering situations to apprehend an offender in which a normal citizen would be going the other way. But thats just educated law enforcement opinion:D:popcorn: come do a ride along in our city and you might have a different citizen opinion ;)

I think there's a bit of a difference between chasing someone for a traffic violation and running into a gun fight. That's apples and oranges to me.

I think there's a bit of a difference between chasing someone for a traffic violation and running into a gun fight. That's apples and oranges to me.

+1 ..........+2 nick i agree with you too..if you the officer want to get a pat on the back or your name in the paper go ahead and chase, but its your fault, not the riders when you die ....but the law doesnt see it that way..take the consequences for the actions people..our law system is seriously flawed

Don't get me wrong pursuing a bike is not something that I would do on a minor traffic violation, if I got the plate then I would take another course of action personally, besides that I never have time to pull bikes or speeders in cars over I am usually too busy getting dispatched to calls, or sitting on dope houses, hell we have a crack house every 100 yards. traffic is for the highway nazi's OSP ;) I was just giving an example about either you want law enforcement to either protect citizens or not. Not when it comes to minor violations, but then again legal debates and law is so subjective we could argue for hours :popcorn:

NinjaNick- let me know if you are serious about riding along, you are more than welcome! The only thing is they are laying 25 officers off here on may 22nd, so I will be unemployed, but anytime before then when I am on shift you are more than welcome and I can set it up as long as you have never had a felony haha

Don't get me wrong pursuing a bike is not something that I would do on a minor traffic violation, if I got the plate then I would take another course of action personally, besides that I never have time to pull bikes or speeders in cars over I am usually too busy getting dispatched to calls, or sitting on dope houses, hell we have a crack house every 100 yards. traffic is for the highway nazi's OSP ;) I was just giving an example about either you want law enforcement to either protect citizens or not. Not when it comes to minor violations, but then again legal debates and law is so subjective we could argue for hours :popcorn:

NinjaNick- let me know if you are serious about riding along, you are more than welcome! The only thing is they are laying 25 officers off here on may 22nd, so I will be unemployed, but anytime before then when I am on shift you are more than welcome and I can set it up as long as you have never had a felony haha

I want to go!!! No felonies here!!

Don't get me wrong pursuing a bike is not something that I would do on a minor traffic violation, if I got the plate then I would take another course of action personally

And that would be? I've always wondered what happens if you run and don't get caught - it might be your plate, but they can't prove you were riding it.

Do you promise non-ghey action and excitement on the mean streets of Mansfield?