Buying a cheapass truck... what to know about Chevy and Dodge?

excell

I admit I got a little zealous with my comments, but the 6.2L was sluggish. Granted, it didn't care whether it was towing something or not, it would still chug along, but I easily get up to 80mph way faster in my Ford than the diesel did.

Plus, my Chevy V8s were non-hopped up, non-Vortec, carb'd blocks. They sounded good with headers, but even if I gave credit to the Ford 300-six for being down 2 cylinders, it's still a better runner.

...and that's what matters, because Chris will not use this thing often and when he does - even if it was for recreational towing - a 1/2-ton fullsize would do the job.

I certainly won't claim a 6-cylinder is better than a V8 of course, but just saying if Chris finds a great F-150 and it's packing a six, that shoudn't be a deterrant. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106186&highlight=eddie+bauer <<<loved this one when it was for sale.

I feel the same way in that Chris will have the same results in the 6 or the 8 with what he's doing so that it isn't such a big deal if he gets the 6. Also, yes that would make sense about what you said above about old carb'd V8's and non turbo diesels. :thumbup:

Would be Lulzy though if Chris made a thread a week from now showing pics of a bro'd out Powerstroke :lol:

Will def keep my eye out for long bed fords with no engine preference. 300's have been popping up like crazy for sale everywhere I look so ill post some up when I come across some nice ones.

Just saw a pretty clean Dakota R/T clubcab in Greenfield Indiana for sale by owner. He had $3800 on it but it's been there a while so I'm sure that's obo. Purple with 127000 and pretty clean interior. 317-666-1575 or 317-654-3037, I have no connection to truck or owner, just saw it and thought of this post.

Lots of awesome feedback, thank you. :) The no SUV thing is because I've owned lots of SUV's and I always missed having a bed when I did. I want something I know I can throw dirty bikes in the back of, muddy outdoor gear, greasy car parts, old Christmas trees, etc. and not give a rats ass. While I could do this with an SUV, I also know me, and I tend to baby everything I own. I won't want to toss a muddy/greasy/dirty bike in the back without a blanket covering everything. Would totally negate the purpose for me. Also, we are planning to buy a minivan when our GTP craps out, so we'll have the same ability then to haul stupid baby shit in comfort.

Clay, the compromise with the wife is it must have a backseat. She is very not excited about kids in the front bench until they're like 37 years old because the CDC is full of a bunch of fun hating hippies who love ebola.

Makes sense - what about an avalanche?

DEFINITELY an option. But they seem to be on the edge/outside of the price range for something that isn't completed ragged out.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up on the idea of a light truck... other than it feeling like such a sissy move. I'm not planning on towing anything big anymore like a car or a big boat... I do plan to do some long distance driving with it and I'd get better mileage... I could get something in better condition for the money... it's coalescing more and more. I feel dirty. A bike-riding tiny truck driving hipster. :lolguy:

I have to say I have been eyeballing those Chevy S-10 ZR5 crew cabs I see around here lately. I had a 1995 S10 blazer and it was a decent enough truck with a 4.3 vortech six. The only downside is there never was a manual trans offered with them at all. Manual Transmissions were offered with the ZR2 extended cabs but good luck getting a child seat in an S-10 extended cab. the ZR5 crew cab is blazer interior with a bed big enough to carry one motorcycle (if you put it sideways with the gate open). They did make the S-10 crew cab non ZR5 models but it is easier to find a ZR5 and you'll probably use the standard two package.

I absolutely love the 1989-1998 fullsize Chevrolet trucks but the biggest issue with them is the automatic transmissions. After 100K miles it isn't if but when. Everything else will last you 200K plus however. Also they do rust, but not horrible - it's not hard to find a later 96+ Z71 in good shape and if you get it in stick it gets rid of the auto trans issue.

I picked this up last summer. Has high miles (215k), but it has been incredibly reliable and fits your bill pretty well. You can definitely find a lower mileage 5.4 for under 6k.

Worth noting, it didn't look quite like this when I bought it, but I have less than $200 into it to get it as is.

15946451447_556976c102.jpg

I have to say I have been eyeballing those Chevy S-10 ZR5 crew cabs I see around here lately. I had a 1995 S10 blazer and it was a decent enough truck with a 4.3 vortech six. The only downside is there never was a manual trans offered with them at all. Manual Transmissions were offered with the ZR2 extended cabs but good luck getting a child seat in an S-10 extended cab. the ZR5 crew cab is blazer interior with a bed big enough to carry one motorcycle (if you put it sideways with the gate open). They did make the S-10 crew cab non ZR5 models but it is easier to find a ZR5 and you'll probably use the standard two package.

I absolutely love the 1989-1998 fullsize Chevrolet trucks but the biggest issue with them is the automatic transmissions. After 100K miles it isn't if but when. Everything else will last you 200K plus however. Also they do rust, but not horrible - it's not hard to find a later 96+ Z71 in good shape and if you get it in stick it gets rid of the auto trans issue.

If I buy an S-10 of any kind you know what I'm gonna turn around and do? Put a turbo 3800 SII in it. :gabe:

I picked this up last summer. Has high miles (215k), but it has been incredibly reliable and fits your bill pretty well. You can definitely find a lower mileage 5.4 for under 6k.

Worth noting, it didn't look quite like this when I bought it, but I have less than $200 into it to get it as is.

15946451447_556976c102.jpg

You know, I've always been partial to that generation F2/350. That's why I had a 99. I fucking loved that thing... even if the spark plugs did pull out of the heads. When you drove that down the road, people fucking moved out of the way...

Any comments on Dodge? Seems the overwhelming majority are Chevy/Ford folks, save for the Dakota. Should I just steer clear of Dodge as a "go sit in the corner" truck?

I love the look of a Ram, but I still can't get over the fact that Ford or Chevy are better-built trucks (if I'm being nice) or Dodge Rams are rustbuckets that have dookie automatic transmissions. The Cummins is the best thing about that product line.

I've only ever had experience with the Dakota and they are pretty stout. Every old Dodge Ram has been either rotted into the ground or a falling apart piece of crap. Usually the former - the truck literally disintegrates around the drive-train. I had a buddy with an 06 and at the first sign of trouble he dumped it and never looked back.

Has anybody mentioned the Nissan Frontier yet? I'm a huge fan, I just don't think you'll find one within your mileage/money requirements.

For your needs, I really don't see the point of any truck smaller than a half ton. Unless you get a 4 cyl Ranger or something, the fuel mileage difference will be negligible.

I love the look of a Ram, but I still can't get over the fact that Ford or Chevy are better-built trucks (if I'm being nice) or Dodge Rams are rustbuckets that have dookie automatic transmissions. The Cummins is the best thing about that product line.

+1

Any comments on Dodge? Seems the overwhelming majority are Chevy/Ford folks, save for the Dakota. Should I just steer clear of Dodge as a "go sit in the corner" truck?

I've had two 3rd gen Dakota's and one 2nd gen Dakota. The magnum 5.2/5.9 is stout in stock forum. I have a beater 1996 Ram 1500 with the 5.2/NV3500 combo that I paid $900 for, haven't done anything to it but change the oil. I put 15K miles on it so far, has almost 190K miles on it now. I'd drive it anywhere.

My Club Cab Dakota R/T was running 12.4 @ 111 on motor with the STOCK 112k mile 46RE automatic transmission. Yes, chrysler transmissions aren't the best in stock forum but with routine maintenance(Which seems most don't really do) I haven't had a problem.

My current CR Cummins stock 48RE transmission survived at 4XXrwhp/829rwtq for quite awhile, but I knew I was on borrowed time. Now it is mildly built and have a lot more power than I did when it was dynoed last with the stock transmission.

The Magnum V8 / NV3500 combo is fun, but a weak transmission if you start making more power. If you're leaving it stock it'll be fine.