Buying a cheapass truck... what to know about Chevy and Dodge?

excell

See, I told you yucks that as soon as I moved back from DC I'd fucking buy a vehicle again. On that note, we're discussing buying a truck. Actually, I'm discussing buying a truck and my wife just rolls her eyes, but I digress... I still ride my bike most of the time, so it's going to spend most of it's life sitting on the road feeling lonely and getting shit on by birds. So I have a very specific budget: As little as absolutely possible, not to exceed $6000. And it had better gobble knob :nod: if I spend $6000.

So at first I was like: First-gen Lightning, BOING! :fuckyeah: Always wanted one. Then after being reminded yesterday that it's probably not going to be easy to stuff a wife and toddler into it, let alone two of these little loin dumplings for whenever that happens, my single man dream of owning a truck that is built to be stupid at everything it's supposed to do (be a truck, be a race car, get chicks who don't shop at Dollar Tree) deflated like my now flaccid

ego. :fuuuu: Lightning: Out.

So, with my meager budget :jerkit:, I've started looking at other truck options that meet a base set of criteria:

• Has a bed (AKA: No SUV's)
  • Has an extended cab, prefer a crew cab
  • 4WD would be nice but not absolutely required...
  • Not a fucking rust bucket
  • Under 150k miles

Here's the thing. When it comes to trucks with beds, I've always been a Ford guy. I know them well. I would prefer and love a 1993-1996 F150 with a Windsor V8, but fuck are they hard to find at a reasonable price. For good reason: They were actually built really well, are simple to fix, and generally don't rust. The 1997 generation F150's are fucking rust buckets, and the 5.4 Triton V8 is nothing special. I had one in my '99 F250 and the spark plugs pulled out of the heads. :marc: But see, I know what I'm getting into with an F150. When it comes to Chevy's, GMC (privileged Chevy's :gay:), and Dodge, I don't really know what to expect.

So here's the question (see, there is a question in here), given my budget and criteria, late 90's/early 2000's Silverado's, whatever-GMC-is-called, and Ram's are available. I just don't know anything about them. What are the common issues with these trucks I should look for? Should I even bother with my criteria?

My end goal is find something in budget, criteria, that wasn't rode hard and put away wet and rusty :pics: which I think I can do if I look long enough and perhaps travel some to get it, but I need to know what I'm dealing with if I decide to buy something that isn't a Ford. Halp.

TL;DR: I want to be an upmarket version of Clay. Or at least, Clay 10 years from now.

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6d5833414d64642e6a7067

Like most trucks cab corner, rocker, and bed rust, rear main seals leaking, power steering and brake lines rusted out.

The crew cab fords are nice if you get a lariet and just watch out for spark plugs breaking off inside the head but nothing outside the normal really. Bed space is pretty small with the crew cabs however

I would recommend a '96-'98 Silverado/Sierra since those years had the Vortec 350, not the underpowered TBI engines that the '88-'95 had. The '99+ with the 5.3 are good trucks too, but personally I like the styling of the 90s trucks better.

I used to have a '97 ext. cab 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and 5-speed stick...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/IMG_20120328_102955.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/IMG_20120318_165252.jpg

It was a fantastic truck and I deeply regret selling it. Trying to find another rust free one with the same combo (manuals were very rare in the 350 4x4 trucks) would be a chore. I bought mine a few years back and only paid $3200 but it was a high mile truck. Ran perfect though. Damn I really wish I still had it.

Most people prefer automatics in trucks anyway so it shouldn't be hard to find one in your price range without rust, but you might have to look a little further south.

A Dakota isn't a bad idea. Actually, if I were being not-a-dumbass for a minute, it's probably the best idea given that I do live in a city and just need a thing with a bed. The smaller size would certainly make 1) keeping it around, 2) maneuvering it in Pittsburgh, and 3) long trips much easier. But I'm not sure I'm ready to stop considering 1/2 ton trucks yet. I feel like if I get a light truck I'm somehow compromising on my manhood. And for a guy that chooses -- nay prefers -- to ride a bike every day, I need all the manhood I can muster.

I would recommend a '96-'98 Silverado/Sierra since those years had the Vortec 350, not the underpowered TBI engines that the '88-'95 had. The '99+ with the 5.3 are good trucks too, but personally I like the styling of the 90s trucks better.

Ah, see. This is great advice. Helps me narrow down my criteria. What was the Vortec 350 based on... LT1? If so, did it have Optispark, or was that just the F-cars?

I would love a manual, actually. Both my wife and I can drive a manual so it would be a bonus to have a truck with one less large, expensive oil-driven component to fail.

The Dakota, if anything like a Durango, will go through ball joints quicker than most cars/trucks. Also the 4.7 is a good motor (has been for me anyhow) just watch for oil leaks because the valve covers can warp and are a pain to replace. My recommendation would be an explorer sport track (depending on how much bed space you need) and they are also available with a manual trans.

Chris, I'm glad to see your last post. So many guys I hear use the excuse of "my wife doesn't drive stick" as the reason for an automatic tee-ruk. Realistically, your wife will never drive it unless she absolutely had to for some reason, and then she'll be happy to have it.

Two thoughts on kiddos in a tee-ruk:

1) If you're hauling 2 of them, a fullsize regular cab is a tight squeeze. Local trips only, and you won't haul much else other than you and two car seats. Oh yeah, and one better be forward facing and one backward; there's no room on a bench for two (nor would you with just a lap belt!)

2) Extended cab won't be worth anything until the kids are bigger. You can't put car seats in the jump seats (as far as I know).

I'd hold out for the 93-96 F-150, and don't shy away from the 300 inline-6. I fucking love my mill, all simple and shit. If I had an EFI F-150 300-six with a stick I'd probably have kittens. This thing is indestructable and plenty torquey. I had GM V8s as well as the Detroit Diesel 6.2, and my bored-out 300 beats them all.

Unless you're really planning on going off-road, snow tires on a 2WD tee-ruk will get you around 100%. I don't know about some of the steeper streets in Pittsburgh, but some of the CC&C guys would tell you that we went traipsing through some serious snow doing donuts and Cleetus was a champ. Took to a couple ice storms very well when 4Matic Benzes in UA were spun 180* in the road. Also, I've gone winter camping at Camp Willis out by Mad River Mountain and snowy trails weren't an issue either. If I had traction control on a 2WD with snow tires? It'd be traction-ridic.

In the end, I think the tee-ruk you get for the next 3-5 child-rearing years may have to be a compromise over the tee-ruk you REALLY want down the road. Car seats are going to kill your choices.

I will say in the end that my kids still love the truck 24/7, because it gives them a different view of the world than 99.9% of vehicles in the US. Think about it; even at an early age they are looking out the windshield, looking/talking to their daddy while going somewhere, both my kids are fascinated with watching me shift a manual...for the 5-10% of the year that they will be riding around in a tee-ruk (if that!) it's going to be a unique experience and far better than staring at the back of someone else's seat or some window that never gets rolled down...

Ah, see. This is great advice. Helps me narrow down my criteria. What was the Vortec 350 based on... LT1? If so, did it have Optispark, or was that just the F-cars?

I would love a manual, actually. Both my wife and I can drive a manual so it would be a bonus to have a truck with one less large, expensive oil-driven component to fail.

The Vortec 350 was basically just a small block Chevy with fancy heads, different fuel injection setup, etc. Stock for stock power/torque they are similar to an LT1, but no, they don't have Optispark. They aren't popular to heavily modify because of the limited factory fuel system design, but they are great/reliable engines made for a truck.

Some manuals were the NV3500 5-speed stick that came in work trucks with the 4.3 V6, the occasional 5.0 Vortec half ton, and very very few 5.7 half tons. Some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had the NV4500 (heavier duty) stick with the 5.7 or 7.4 engines. I've seen some 5.7/stick combos in the half tons, but the ones I've seen were either single cab or 2WD. I'm sure there are more out there like mine, but they are few and far between.

If you're going to get a Chebby from the 90's get a Dually. Dually Chebby's from that era are pure sex.

Indeed. One of the best looking trucks ever made IMO

http://o.aolcdn.com/commerce/images/U8CTGEI3_Large.JPG

The '73-'87 duallys were equally awesome. My brother owns a '79 that I borrow any chance I get...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/79k3500_02.jpg?t=1426995971

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/79k3500_01.jpg

Although a dually is probably a little overkill unless you're towing frequently

I know you said "no SUVs" but a Suburban would check all Of the boxes except that one. I have owned a Suburban now for 15+ years. It hauls people, luggage, and anything else like no other vehicle. Kids in car seats? Check. Drywall? Check. Pull a trailer? GTFO check. I have even had over 30 bags of mulch in one. They are just great vehicles - in my third one now.

I had GM V8s as well as the Detroit Diesel 6.2, and my bored-out 300 beats them all.

I agree with everything you said but this was lolzy. Yes, the 300 is reliable and will last for a long time but to say it beats it's v8 gasser/diesel counterparts overall is just silly.

Chris, I don't have much to add because everybody else said it. Look into the 99-06 Silverado's along with the 95-98 ones. You can find nice trucks for $6k and under no doubt. If you have an exact size you have in mind post it and i'll keep an eye out when i'm looking around.

Edit: I'll keep an eye out for decent 90's F150's as well.

I would avoid the 99-01 Silverados. I owned a 99 for 15 years, the brakes on that truck sucked when new and not much ever helped it. They changed things with the 01s that took care of the issues.

Everything else was great on that truck though, had about 180k on it when I got rid of it (due to brake issues) and the engine was still a beast.

I agree with everything you said but this was lolzy. Yes, the 300 is reliable and will last for a long time but to say it beats it's v8 gasser/diesel counterparts overall is just silly.

Chris, I don't have much to add because everybody else said it. Look into the 99-06 Silverado's along with the 95-98 ones. You can find nice trucks for $6k and under no doubt. If you have an exact size you have in mind post it and i'll keep an eye out when i'm looking around.

Edit: I'll keep an eye out for decent 90's F150's as well.

I admit I got a little zealous with my comments, but the 6.2L was sluggish. Granted, it didn't care whether it was towing something or not, it would still chug along, but I easily get up to 80mph way faster in my Ford than the diesel did.

Plus, my Chevy V8s were non-hopped up, non-Vortec, carb'd blocks. They sounded good with headers, but even if I gave credit to the Ford 300-six for being down 2 cylinders, it's still a better runner.

...and that's what matters, because Chris will not use this thing often and when he does - even if it was for recreational towing - a 1/2-ton fullsize would do the job.

I certainly won't claim a 6-cylinder is better than a V8 of course, but just saying if Chris finds a great F-150 and it's packing a six, that shoudn't be a deterrant. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106186&highlight=eddie+bauer <<<loved this one when it was for sale.