Small engine/weed wacker help

Berto

Hey dudes, I'm a bit out of my element in 2-stroke small engines.

My week wacker has been running pretty craptactulary for a while now. Last time I ran it end of the season last year I could barely keep it running.

Started tearing into it a few weeks ago. Found some cracked fuel lines. So I thought I was all good. Replaced the lines. No fix.

Tried Cleaning the carb out. No fix.

Then i actually replaced the carb with one from ebay for $13. No Fix.

The symptom it has now is I can start it 'ok'. It will run on the choke. I can even throttle on choke. But as soon as I take the choke off does not want to run. Heck i'll even have the throttle pegged with the choke on...then i'll flip the choke off while still holding the throttle pegged and it'll rev up for like a second then die completely.

I did clean the contacts off on the spark plug with some sandpaper. Just to see if that was an issue. I don't want to buy a new one and keep putting money into it and end up getting a new one.

Any thoughts?

Did you replace the fuel filter when you did the lines?

Are there adjustment screws on the new carb?

Did not put a filter back on the end. AT least not till I get this figured out.

There are adjustment screws but they require some special tool crap.

Right gas mix? Ratios should be on the oil container.

Yeah should be right mix. 40:1

Sounds to me, assuming the intake and exhaust is clear, that either the carb is out of adjustment or the piston ring is not sealing worth a shit. If you had cracked fuel lines that were not feeding the crankcase lubrication the damage may already be more then it's worth.

I am not an expert on weedeaters and it's hard to judge over the web, but it sounds like a worn out weedeater.

Start with the most obvious.

Check your fuel lines and your primer bubble. F'n ethanol eats those up over time. Be sure there are no cracks, etc.

Make sure the fuel cap breather holes are not clogged.

Make sure fuel is good age-wise and in mixture.

Check and clean or replace air filter.

Check and possibly replace the spark plug.

Check and clean the spark plug arrestor screen if applicable.

Check the exhaust when you crank or run it. Is there good exhaust pressure? If no or unsure, remove the exhaust and give it a go. They do get clogged.

Still having an issue? It may be your carb needs cleaning and/or adjustment. Depending on the model, you may have an idle screw, a low speed screw and a high speed. I generally start with small adjustments to the low speed screw. You can always turn it back if it doesn't help. You may need to adjust the high speed a bit and the idle, as well. Just take your time and pay attention. This is of course assuming you've cleaned the carb or it didn't need cleaning.

Hope this helps. Worse case scenario, you take it to a small engine repair shop and have them get it working for $40.

I agree- sounds like fuel starvation.

More than likely a fuel line is rotten and broken/cracked as ethanol fuel eats them-

That or filter clogged with ethanol gas residue.

Good luck!

Once you get it running be sure to run it out of gas or better yet use ethanol free gas they sell in the quarts.

Started tearing into it a few weeks ago. Found some cracked fuel lines. So I thought I was all good. Replaced the lines. No fix.

Tried Cleaning the carb out. No fix.

Then i actually replaced the carb with one from ebay for $13. No Fix.

The symptom it has now is I can start it 'ok'. It will run on the choke. I can even throttle on choke. But as soon as I take the choke off does not want to run. Heck i'll even have the throttle pegged with the choke on...then i'll flip the choke off while still holding the throttle pegged and it'll rev up for like a second then die completely.

I did clean the contacts off on the spark plug with some sandpaper. Just to see if that was an issue. I don't want to buy a new one and keep putting money into it and end up getting a new one.

Any thoughts?

I agree- sounds like fuel starvation.

More than likely a fuel line is rotten and broken/cracked as ethanol fuel eats them-

Ughhh....

How old is the wacker? there so cheap now days might just be time to upgrade.

Take the spark plug out and put a little oil down in the cylinder....does that make it run better (idle, etc)? If so, you may have been getting fuel starve from the bad lines, and hence, no lubrication and you've lost most of your compression from scored walls or bad piston ring now....as stated by Cordell, the damage may be too far along. But try the oil in the cylinder and if it starts to run fine and idle, that's probably your issue, and there's not really a cheap fix....maybe time for a new one.