Bulk mulch recommendations?

zeitgeist57

In the past, I use my truck to pick up bulk mulch at Ohio Mulch, but usually just got whatever is on sale. The extent of my mulch knowledge is that Absolute Black is a mix of whatever is ground up and dyed...and that it's not too nice for plants. It's all up from here. :)

As with most homeowners, I'd certainly like whatever is the best blend of cost and benefit: beneficial to hostas, shrubs, some other plants...but as rough on weeds as possible. At one time the previous homeowner had rough pine bark which I'd use if that meant I wouldn't have to mulch again for a couple of years. That stuff is expensive but I'm still picking up pieces years after we bought the house.

Any recommendations?

As with most homeowners, I'd certainly like whatever is the best blend of cost and benefit: beneficial to hostas, shrubs, some other plants...but as rough on weeds as possible.

Any recommendations?

I think to keep weeds at bay you lay a barrier material down first so it physically impedes their growth.

I think to keep weeds at bay you lay a barrier material down first so it physically impedes their growth.

+1. Buy a roll of it it lowes and the pins to hold it in place then dump mulch over it. Did wonders at our house for minimizing weeds. I use triple black from Ohio mulch. Git r dun.

Home Depot has mulch on sale 5 bags for $10 this weekend.

That stuff is trash if you want black. Ive bought it in large quantities before and their dye is insanely inconstant.

Bulk mulch is a whole lot cheaper. Bagged/packaged mulch costs AT LEAST 10x of bulk. No pickup truck? Rent one and it's still cheaper than buying packaged mulch if you need at least half a cubic yard.

Clay, I get bulk mulch at Kurtz Brothers because it's the closest to home.

Last time I checked Dad was charging 25 bucks for a full size pickup load. No dyes so you have to wait for the type of tree that tickled your fancy. I have told him to go into the mulch side of the business because what they are paying for a semi truck load of mulch and then what they are selling it to the public they are making a killing. Every owner of a mulch company I know drives hillbilly dream cars

Ohio and Kurtz are doing 25% off bulk right now for what that's worth. Normally bagged is 2x -3x the cost of bulk. I prefer a coarse natural brown and a bottle of kill all. Anything that comes up as you go gets a bit of spray. Or you could get a shaker of preen but that's not normally cost effective in large applications

Ahlum and arbor on walcutt bulk with delivery, tree guys that have mulch made from trees , not Ohio mulch pallets and everything else

Just in case anyone needs the info:

We have natural hardwood which is $24.00/cubic yard and black [dyed] $31.00/cubic yard.

We do delivery and it is all bulk mulch. Our delivery is $50.00 unless you are located very close in the Hilliard then we do have a free delivery. I would not be able to get any deliveries out until after Monday next week at this time (4/16/2015).

We have natural hardwood which is $24.00/cubic yard and black [dyed] $31.00/cubic yard.

We do delivery and it is all bulk mulch. Our delivery is $50.00 unless you are located very close in the Hilliard then we do have a free delivery. I would not be able to get any deliveries out until after Monday next week at this time (4/16/2015).

I'll be reaching out- I am right off Walcut/Roberts in Cross Creek, just about a mile from you.

I'm looking for a dark brown and something pretty high quality.

Nationwide sells mulch?? :)

That seems like a pretty good price...will share with the co-workers.

-Marc

Scott's Garden Center in Powel. I have been buying all my materials from scott for many years. Mulch is much nicer quality over Ohio Mulch. He usually has 2-3 types of hardwood to choose from including pine bark/nuggets and cypress all bark .