Starchase (GPS fired from police cars)

Fubar231

Heres there website and a video below showing/explaining it. What do you guys think of these? Its a little old but I searched and couldnt find anything on it. Wonder if these will ever be implemented around here.

http://www.starchase.com/

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5f1_1428981723 (Liveleak videos shows it being used in action by a cop in Australia, happens at :23)

Like the idea, but the implementation method looks a bit crude and for 1 in 4 to have worked for a live demo on a parked car......

IMO bad guys are going to quickly bail and run anyway so finding just the car isn't much good.

Anything fired from a moving police car is generally a bad idea. LoJack, onstar, assistant services that broadcast two and from the car are all better solutions. Onstar can shut the car off mid chase and you don't even have to be paying for the service.

Now if it was a claw EMP that could disable the car and be fired at a lime green Mitsubishi Evo from a helicopter - that would be awesome.

Anything fired from a moving police car is generally a bad idea. LoJack, onstar, assistant services that broadcast two and from the car are all better solutions. Onstar can shut the car off mid chase and you don't even have to be paying for the service.

Now if it was a claw EMP that could disable the car and be fired at a lime green Mitsubishi Evo from a helicopter - that would be awesome.

While watching this entire video I was thinking about OnStar as well. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I could have swore we already had the ability to remotely turn off some vehicles on the road if not most that have come out in the last few years. The micro EMP would be nice but how hard would that be to create and control so it does not fry something else by mistake?

While watching this entire video I was thinking about OnStar as well. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I could have swore we already had the ability to remotely turn off some vehicles on the road if not most that have come out in the last few years. The micro EMP would be nice but how hard would that be to create and control so it does not fry something else by mistake?

So here is the thing about remote shut off....you need a system that can both send and receive direction from a remote source, which is a rare thing right now. Onstar can do it, and I think some Mercedes systems can as well but not every concierge service can do that. Also you need to have a vehicle in which the system is installed - not every Chevy sold has onstar or the potential for onstar.

There are plenty of cases where police have contacted onstar and onstar has disabled the vehicle (just google it and within the first 5 hits you'll find both isolated cases and aggregate articles talking about this) but there are a couple of problems with this:

1) Onstar is a private sector company not a law enforcement entity and if they police do it to the wrong car there could be constitutional ramifications (like deprivation of use of property).

2) Each mfg has its own system and there is no central call number to call in to disable a car. Onstar has proven to be very accessible, but what about MB?

3) each system has it's own limitations and there is no industry standardization. Onstar can do almost anything except disable manual systems (i.e. is can't cut your brakes). It can turn off the car, accelerate the car, decelerate the car, and disable or enable the abs. If the car has an electronically controlled trans it may be able to shift it as well. But MB? what can that system do? What about Ford Sync? as far as I know Sync interfaces with Can Bus and can read health info and possibly kill the ignition but can't do nearly what onstar can do.

4) abuse of system. Already there is a tinfoil hat brigade that claims the gubment can take over your car and use it to kill you. They aren't wrong as covert operatives have had this tech since the 1960's and have used it in the past but usually it required the operative to install equipment that would physically override operator manual controls (e.g. for carb'ed cars they used to have an RC car style remote servo that an operator could use to work the throttle). Complete remote takeover may be possible now with the advent like systems onstar (DARPA proved they could do it with an impala without ever touching the vehicle) but then who watches the watchmen?

5) liability: If an onstar operative kills the ignition and the car stops suddenly and a pursuing police car rams the vehicle and multiple people are hurt - who is liable? Police? onstar operative?

this is just off the top of my head, there may be more concerns.

So here is the thing about remote shut off....you need a system that can both send and receive direction from a remote source, which is a rare thing right now. Onstar can do it, and I think some Mercedes systems can as well but not every concierge service can do that. Also you need to have a vehicle in which the system is installed - not every Chevy sold has onstar or the potential for onstar.

There are plenty of cases where police have contacted onstar and onstar has disabled the vehicle (just google it and within the first 5 hits you'll find both isolated cases and aggregate articles talking about this) but there are a couple of problems with this:

1) Onstar is a private sector company not a law enforcement entity and if they police do it to the wrong car there could be constitutional ramifications (like deprivation of use of property).

2) Each mfg has its own system and there is no central call number to call in to disable a car. Onstar has proven to be very accessible, but what about MB?

3) each system has it's own limitations and there is no industry standardization. Onstar can do almost anything except disable manual systems (i.e. is can't cut your brakes). It can turn off the car, accelerate the car, decelerate the car, and disable or enable the abs. If the car has an electronically controlled trans it may be able to shift it as well. But MB? what can that system do? What about Ford Sync? as far as I know Sync interfaces with Can Bus and can read health info and possibly kill the ignition but can't do nearly what onstar can do.

4) abuse of system. Already there is a tinfoil hat brigade that claims the gubment can take over your car and use it to kill you. They aren't wrong as covert operatives have had this tech since the 1960's and have used it in the past but usually it required the operative to install equipment that would physically override operator manual controls (e.g. for carb'ed cars they used to have an RC car style remote servo that an operator could use to work the throttle). Complete remote takeover may be possible now with the advent like systems onstar (DARPA proved they could do it with an impala without ever touching the vehicle) but then who watches the watchmen?

5) liability: If an onstar operative kills the ignition and the car stops suddenly and a pursuing police car rams the vehicle and multiple people are hurt - who is liable? Police? onstar operative?

this is just off the top of my head, there may be more concerns.

:confused:

While watching this entire video I was thinking about OnStar as well.

Downside is OnStar has to be on the vehicle. Also, lots of stolen cars have incorrect tags so how do you target a specific vehicle if you don't have the VIN?

I say deploy small drones to go after the car :p

Downside is OnStar has to be on the vehicle. Also, lots of stolen cars have incorrect tags so how do you target a specific vehicle if you don't have the VIN?

I say deploy small drones to go after the car :p

I find the idea of remote disabling a vehicle both interesting and frightening at the same time. This article is the most recent case I know if where OnStar was able to help disable a stolen vehicle (leaving out the part where it hit a pole). I think that it really does help people when used properly, but you know someone will exploit it at some point to "hack" someones car and make it crash or shut down. I cannot find the article but I remember reading about this device you can get for $50 overseas that could potentially allow you to walk up to a car that's not yours and unlock it remotely as if you had the key. If something like that exists then it makes me wonder how soon someone will make a remote "killswitch" for a car?

Kind of an open question to anyone in the auto electronics world, but in theory how easy would it be to remotely shut off a car without OnStar? Does anything else exist out there in the electronics world? I'm curious now.

I like the drone idea... maybe they could toss a bunch of little infrared reflectors on the stolen car, similar to what the military uses to mark targets in the night?