Doc's custom bike for sale -- $2,400

Doc1647545523

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/wholeleftside.jpg

I'm selling the last of my personal motorcyles. Now that I have a Polaris Slingshot, I just don't foresee much more motorcycling in my future.

It started life as a 1982 Suzuki GS450TZ. I purchased the bike in the fall of 2010 from a CR member who was using it in a daily commute. At that time the mileage on the bike was not known, but the odometer showed 14,495. I gave it to an old friend who was a professional cycle mechanic who rebuilt it over a period of 18 months.

Here is a partial list of the parts replaced:

Both tires

Sprockets, drive chain

Front fork seals

Front disc brake pads

Rear shocks

Front wheel bearings

Handlebar/grips/bar-end mirrors

Headlight/brackets/turn signals

He made an intake, installed custom exhaust and header, cleaned and synched the carbs, performed complete tune-up.

A new custom seat, rear tail section with taillight, and viper fairing were installed. He made new side covers from diamond plate flooring

Wheels were refurbished by Wheel Medic. Kevin Clifford painted the side covers, tail section, and gas tank.

The bike starts, runs, and drives without issue.

Here is the thread I made when the bike was finished (some "before" pics are in the middle of the thread):

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101890&highlight=cafe

Since I've had the bike back, it has lived at the Hangout and has seen little use, as I had other bikes. In three years it's seen 1800 miles and has been stored under cover.

This spring I installed a new battery, and today it got an oil change, new filter, and safety inspection. I rode it 30 miles this morning and can verify it still can peg the speedometer without issue or drama. Odometer now shows 16,330, but is non-actual according to the title.

I'm asking $2,400 on CR. For that you get the bike (clear title in hand), the original parts removed during rebuild (seat/tail section, turn signals, handlebars, side covers, full chrome exhaust) and an Aerostich cover (medium size, larger than the bike needs). I have a little less than $5,000 in the bike.

Payment needs to be cash, or I will work with your lender. I will hold the bike for up to 30 days for you for a $500 non-refundable deposit. No trades.

PM me with any questions or offers. Thanks! :)

Edited by Doc
Not Brian>Doc

for an adult, I would. Not sure about a younger rider, however, because they make smaller size bikes for them to learn on. It is very easy to handle, forgiving clutch, predictable brakes, so I guess I'd say it would be a good beginner bike. My only reservation is whether you'd feel comfortable in the forward-leaning position that low bars force you into.

If you're interested, PM me and we'll set a time aside for you to come to the Hangout and ride it slowly around the park on pavement, gravel, and grass and you can get the feel of it and see for yourself if you would be comfortable with it. No obligation, of course. I think you'll find it pretty straightforward....

If you really got into motorcycles later, then you could step up to something newer and better suited to long trips and higher speeds. I would think that this bike could be resold in a few years for essentially the same price.

Never rode anything outside of a 125 dirt bike would you consider this a very good entry level bike to learn to actually ride on?

The bike that this is based on is the GS450 twin, which has been helping riders learn to ride on two wheels in the street since the 1970's. They are good solid beginner bikes.

That being said a bike should always be setup for the rider to be most comfortable on the bike and if they are a new rider to promote good habits. To that end, if a beginner were considering this bike I would personally recommend (from my own experience helping other new riders) that the clipons be removed and a superbike bend bar be fitted, larger mirrors installed, and the front fender re-installed - at least until the beginner rider has at least a season and a couple thousand miles underneath them. The good news is that all of those changes can be done for under $100 and two hours in the garage, and then if you want to go back later on you'll have all the parts.

Hopefully if there was a beginner rider out there on the fence this will encourage them to pull the trigger and buy doc's bike, because if it is anything like Doc's other vehicles it is well cared for and in excellent shape.

I feel bad doing that. I'm not active on your forum, so I don't feel I should log-in after years of inactivity just to sell my stuff.

I have enjoyed OR activities as you have a great group of people. If I hadn't gone back to work after retiring, I'm sure I would have made it to some more events.

I feel bad doing that. I'm not active on your forum, so I don't feel I should log-in after years of inactivity just to sell my stuff.

I have enjoyed OR activities as you have a great group of people. If I hadn't gone back to work after retiring, I'm sure I would have made it to some more events.

Hell I don't care. That's a sweet bike. I want someone I know to buy it. :)

We do need to hang out again. Maybe I'll make it to one of your open house shindigs this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, it's still sleeping peacefully under its cover.

Two CR members have recommended it to friends who were interested, but I haven't heard back. I've been too busy to do up a CL ad. I'm going to do that for sure by next weekend if there's no interest from CR. I'd much rather it go to someone who will enjoy it and not just resell it.

Are you wanting to buy a second bike from me? That's an endorsement. :)

Thanks for the kind thoughts. 24 hours on CL and not a nibble, unless you count the two scammers. Do people actually fall for the send-me-fifty-dollars-via-Western-Union-so-I-can-pay-you-your-asking-price line? Sure I'll send you money.....wait for it......wait for it.

Perhaps it's just not to be. I believe everything happens for a reason* and if it doesn't sell, it can stay under its cover, coming out once a month for its exercise. I don't need to sell it and I'm not lowering the price. It costs me little in insurance, a license fee, and an oil change each year. I'd give it away before I'd sell it too cheaply.

*that we later make-up