What car have you absolutey hated driving?

Geeto67

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Key Largo and we had a 4 door focus, it was fucking terrible. It idled like shit and the transmission was junk. Other than the 42.1 MPG we got, there is nothing I liked about the car.

When we dropped the car off and I asked to talk about the idle issue, the entire staff know about it and said all of their focus/fiesta have the same idle and transmission issues and they are removing them from their fleet.

4 door focus as well. rented a car to buy an out of state vehicle. drove 3 hrs and my back was in pain. seat support sucked. steering wheel felt very loose.

My GF has a 2012 Focus sedan with 20k miles. The idle is fucking annoying as shit and it's been like that since the day it rolled off the lot. The engine also knocks every now and then because the factory timing is garbage. On a hot day when the AC is cranked and there's a load on the engine, every time it upshifts to third it'll knock until it gets above 2k RPM.

And yes, the seats are awful. After 30 minutes my back starts to hurt, and the back seats become nonexistant when you slide the front seats back a reasonable amount. The ONLY good thing about that car is the fuel mileage.

I can't wait until the lease is up on that POS.

I just got back from Key Largo and we had a 4 door focus, it was fucking terrible. It idled like shit and the transmission was junk. Other than the 42.1 MPG we got, there is nothing I liked about the car.

When we dropped the car off and I asked to talk about the idle issue, the entire staff know about it and said all of their focus/fiesta have the same idle and transmission issues and they are removing them from their fleet.

The transmission issue is because it is a twin clutch setup and Ford is fucked in the head. Those transmissions at low speeds in a shop are dangerous at best.

When I worked an enterprise we had all sorts of shit. My most hated cars were pt cruisers and the Kia Rio. You could rev the Rio to 5k, neutral drop it, and it still barely moved. Plus at 30k most of the Kia's and Hyundai's were trashed.

Love the comments in this thread

I have not recently had a bad experience, but overall the worst car I've been in, I actually owned. My 2005 exploder. Majorly underpowered (235hp), rode like a truck, yet handled horribly in the snow even with 4wd and good tires. Radio was horrible, no DVD player, and the heated seats felt like I was being burned by a hot wire.

My ex rammed it into a pole, and it didn't total out. Someone threw a rock from an overpass that demolished the windshield, dash, seats, etc, and it didn't total out. I t-boned some dumb bitch who turned right in front of me and destroyed the front end, fender, etc, and it didn't total out. Traded it in for my raptor with 80k miles for $4k or something. I should have burned it to the ground and walked to the dealer to get my truck.

I want to kill myself every time I have to drive my wife's 2012 Kia Soul. It's got a 1.6L "engine" that when using cruise control on the highway will constantly downshift to where its running at like 5k RPMs. The 2L engine might be better and as ghey as the car is, it works for us and our two dogs.

Citing rentals is a little bit unfair perhaps. Those things are ragged on by everyone that had it before. That said:

1st gen Mazda6. Rental. Had the base 2.0L engine which meant it was a woefully underpowered car.

Last gen Eclipse. Huge blind spots and bad rear visibilty. No steering feel and handled like a boat. Tires squealed taking turns at normal speeds.

2003? Ford Explorer. Mostly what others have said. Big but not big enough to use, slow as shit. Shifts are awful. Massive play in the steering wheel and can't tell which way the car is going. Worst thing is the noise. Rattles everywhere, engine sounds awful, whining from the entire driveline. Electronics would randomly work or not work - radio would come on when by itself overnight and kill the battery. Lots of other issues. I guess this would be my top pick.

Citing rentals is a little bit unfair perhaps. Those things are ragged on by everyone that had it before. That said:

1st gen Mazda6. Rental. Had the base 2.0L engine which meant it was a woefully underpowered car.

Last gen Eclipse. Huge blind spots and bad rear visibilty. No steering feel and handled like a boat. Tires squealed taking turns at normal speeds.

2003? Ford Explorer. Mostly what others have said. Big but not big enough to use, slow as shit. Shifts are awful. Massive play in the steering wheel and can't tell which way the car is going. Worst thing is the noise. Rattles everywhere, engine sounds awful, whining from the entire driveline. Electronics would randomly work or not work - radio would come on when by itself overnight and kill the battery. Lots of other issues. I guess this would be my top pick.

The Compass I rented had 450 miles. That is the sad part - that is as good as it will ever be.

The Chrysler 200s were some of the BEST rental cars I have ever rented. Smooth, quiet...felt a little gangsta... Oddly enough the best was some beat to death Chevy Cruze LT...had all the bells and whistles. Really liked it. In comparison I aways rent the 'Standard" class...so I got a lot of Hyundai Elantras, Sentras, A focus, ect. All for 8hr. + trips through mountains too.

With that said, the worst thing I have owned was our 03 XTerra. I just HATED the torsion bar / leaf spring combo. Terribly poor 3.3L engine. Only good thing about it was it sits up HIGH for a smaller SUV.

All that is because the last gen Eclipse was basically a reskinned Sebring

I love knowing about "reskins" and the like. Dunno why. That being said, I didn't know that or at least I don't recall that about the Eclipses. Think I'll look into it. Thanks for that little knowledge nugget.

I've heard that they made ones that actually drove instead of just vomiting transmissions, but I'd never seen one before.

Those are some miserable cars for sure. I didn't notice transmission trouble. Just hated everything else about them.

I love knowing about "reskins" and the like. Dunno why. That being said, I didn't know that or at least I don't recall that about the Eclipses. Think I'll look into it. Thanks for that little knowledge nugget.

I was wrong, I forgot they made another generation of Eclipse. The one I was thinking of was the 3rd Gen Eclipse, 2000-2005, which shared architecture with the Sebring.

That last Eclipse was even more of a bastard.

To turn the tables, I hated driving Anthony's firechicken. Any fast car, actually, because everybody else on the roads around here is a fuckin idiot. Every push to work in my car is frustrating because of the knuckle-dragging air-slurpers putting along at 35 in 50 zones.