2007+ Silverado/Sierra opinions?

2 Sweet

I have owned and driven several GM trucks over the years so I'm pretty familiar with them, but never the 2007+ style. I'm considering getting one for a daily and it would definitely be a half ton 5.3 4x4, either an extended or crew cab. For those of you that own them, drive them, work on them, etc...what do you think about them?

I've been behind the wheel of a 2012 F-150 5.0L crew cab and 2013 Ram 5.7 crew, how do the never Chevys compare? What are the common problems with them? Are they pretty much the same as the GMT800 platform before them, or is it worth getting a newer one?

Get the displacement on demand/active fuel management crap tuned out. My 2007 classic never really needed a thing, the 4x4 switch went out but other than that no repairs. I've seen quite a few need oil cooler and trans cooler lines replaced as they leak, but that's as major as I've seen. Typical maintenance for a vehicle aside they are awesome. At least drivetrain wise. The 2007 classic is GMT800, I'm not sure about the interiors on the newer 07+ stuff, I am only experienced in the powertrain.

Get the displacement on demand/active fuel management crap tuned out. My 2007 classic never really needed a thing, the 4x4 switch went out but other than that no repairs. I've seen quite a few need oil cooler and trans cooler lines replaced as they leak, but that's as major as I've seen. Typical maintenance for a vehicle aside they are awesome. At least drivetrain wise.

What year did they start with the DOD crap? I like GM but holy shit, sometimes they make some really dumb decisions. I would definitely get the DOD tuned out. F that nonsense.

Also, what year did they start putting 6-speed autos in the GMT900?

I'm not sure about the interiors on the newer 07+ stuff

Neither am I. One thing I'm definitely curious about is the 07+ interiors and how they compare to the older trucks.

What year did they start with the DOD crap? I like GM but holy shit, sometimes they make some really dumb decisions. I would definitely get the DOD tuned out. F that nonsense.

Also, what year did they start putting 6-speed autos in the GMT900?

Neither am I. One thing I'm definitely curious about is the 07+ interiors and how they compare to the older trucks.

2007+

By that I mean the "new" 2007's, the Classics are essentially a 2006.

The 2007 interiors are nicer, you get 4 little buttons to flip through mileage, consumption among other things on the area that shows the odometer. The radio is redesigned to a more user friendly style IMO, the seats seem a bit more comfy, I think the center console/arm rest changed a bit as well. The gauge cluster is different as well. Not "major" overhauls that I am aware of. Just redesigns.

I have no idea on the 6 speeds. A GM tech or someone savvy in the newer gen's will have to chime in on that. I don't know whether that is something you do or don't want to have. I know when I get a Silverado it'll be a 03-07 2500HD, the fuel economy is shit so I might as well get a 4L80E and 6.0 to make it worth it.

I've got a 07 GMC 1500 SLT crew cab. It's a nice truck and I like it enough I guess.

5.3 + DOD = bad rings and an oil burning monster as a result mine has 6.0 swap done by the previous owner (good friend of mine)

SLT fully loaded is nice inside and someplace that's easy to spend time in. 4 door is key in my opinion

I owned a GMT800 which I bought used and drive for nearly 100k miles.

Last year, I started a rather extensive search for another GM truck. Originally, I wanted a half-ton GMT900 and for a while I ignored K2xx. One fact I found was that the GMT900 resale value was quite high especially for the 6.2l. My criteria included 6-sp, 2wd, CCSB, & 6.2l which limited to '9 and newer. I did not want first year for the 6-sp, so it became '10 or newer; '11 and up were preferred. Avalanche 6.0l (extremely rare 2wd, only made in 2009 for 6.0l & 6sp combo), Avalanche 6.2l (very rare Canadian model) and Escalade EXT (AWD only) were also considered for their increased chassis rigidity and slightly less archaic rear suspension. The suspension combo, FWIW, was still more advanced in design than, say, my '12 BOSS 302. I was versed enough in GMT900 that I could differentiate the engine type from its tail pipe appearance or from a quick glance of the VIN.

GMT900 came in two different dashboard configurations. The more luxurious SUV dashboard on higher trim levels and the standard, "more flat" dashboard. I believe only the SUV dashboard can be equipped with a center console. Andy's '7 SLT has the SUV dashboard. Just like any full-size GM trucks for the las 3-4 generations, the option and package combinations become a dizzying array. Add special editions like Texas Edition and U of Texas Edition, determining the book values was a good-sized homework.

The problem with DOD appeared to be quite widespread. By deleting the VVT, Corvette cam (LS9 I believe) can be swapped in for a small cost. DOD can be also defeated using an electronic device plugged into the OBD port. Its effectiveness might come with a few minor consequences; can't remember anymore what they are. Another problem is heavy corrosion; so, search your truck in Texas or in Arizona; Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana are ok too, but pricing is lower in the first two. Make sure that it was bought and driven there.

At the end, GMC had a Black Friday Sale with a 20% MSRP Cash Back which put a '15 K2xx in a very favorable pricing level. Let me just say that I got a total of 27% discount from the MSRP. A couple more grand and I could get a '15 over a '13 with very low mileage. In your search, pull a GM VIS report which should include service & transaction history and build sheet. Never assume the availability of an option or a package from the photos.

More questions, just ask. I'm sure I left things out as the search was nearly 6 months long.

You can't simply tune DOD out, you need to block off some passages and change the lifters. A couple common issues is not only burning oil but I have seen quite a few with stuck DOD lifters. If I was buying one, and I plan to in the next couple years, I would go all the way with the engine changing lifters, tuning, and deleting DOD.

It is also common to see failed fuel pump flow control modules, they either fault, or stop working all together keeping your fuel pump from turning on. There has been a policy that covered some but not all of the effected trucks.

The EVAP system tends to burn up vent solenoids, and the replacement parts require rerouting of the system.

The front diff tends to leak at the axle seals, and I have also had to rebuild a few of these, although they typically last to 100k or more so long as they are taken care of. A failed front diff seems to be common in trucks that see a lack of maintenece and it's the first thing to fail.

There are lots of other stupid minor stuff, the bowtie emblems suck and look horrible in a short time. The power folding mirror option breaks, and you have to buy the whole mirror assembly from GM to fix it. The uplevel interior (LTZ) has problems with chrome pealing off parts. The 3rd brake light is prone to leaking water if it's removed to replace a bulb. I have had to replace rusty rear bumpers before they were out of warranty. I'm sure there are a few things I'm forgetting.

Now I do like the seats, and I think they ride pretty well for a truck. They are not very hard to work on (maybe I'm biased because I do it everyday). The drivetrain aside from the DOD is very reliable if taken care of, fresh fluids every couple years, and lack of abuse will keep it going for a long time.

You can't simply tune DOD out, you need to block off some passages and change the lifters

I never knew this. I was always under the impression it could simply be turned off in HPTuners or another tuning solution.