BMW blown headgasket - I feex!

zeitgeist57

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Sean (Crossle) last night and he was very helpful. Since my 1995 3-series is pre-VANOS and pre-OBDII, it should be simpler to work on. I'm going to repair the HG myself and farm out the head work (of course).

Does anyone know Bob Proffit at Performance Research? It was recommended that I go there for the headwork. http://priracingengines.com/

I was less than thrilled with my service from Bob at Performance Research when I had my m3 headgasket done there. His machine work was fine, but be prepared for him to tell you a hundred times you need a valve job. then after he does the valve job, the lifters aren't going to want to fit right and he'll blow that off too. If you want to do the full valve job, valve guides and stronger retainers...he's your guy, and that's what I ended up doing.

If you just want the head decked and checked for cracks..go to M&M

I spoke with Sean (Crossle) last night and he was very helpful. Since my 1995 3-series is pre-VANOS and pre-OBDII, it should be simpler to work on. I'm going to repair the HG myself and farm out the head work (of course).

Does anyone know Bob Proffit at Performance Research? It was recommended that I go there for the headwork. http://priracingengines.com/

Clay, M&M did the head work on my STX Racecar, I thought they did a good job. I took the head to them still assembled with new parts. They cleaned it, hot tanked it for cracks, and machined the face within factory spec for me, and did all the seats as well. It was only a couple hundred bucks extra for them to do the valve work, which seemed like a great deal to me. They also checked valves for trueness when they were out and were going to tell me if I needed to get any new valves. My car has survived many many autocross runs, including two 13 hour drives out to Lincoln, Nebraska and back for Nationals and all over the state of Ohio for events without 'skipping a beat.'

If you plan to keep this car for a while, I would pull the head (including taking the cams off) and have the head rebuilt. E36's are known to have valve spring retainers and keepers fail over time, but you should be able to re-use everything else.

Go back through my thread here as this is exactly what I did last year --> http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116347

Hit me up with questions, and I'll be happy to help.

Before:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/E36%20STX%20build/6BFFA4ED-38BF-4389-87CA-8ADFED1F6326_zpsmmhcmlmv.jpg

After:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/E36%20STX%20build/0FA4F99D-678D-4143-AAA1-356921DBEC33_zpsvjaolcvl.jpg

So...Mike @ M&M redid the 300 inline-6 on Cleetus in 2012 and the jerb was good. I was discouraged by a couple other guys from going up there again, but I called Mike earlier and he answered immediately...$200 to pressure-test, clean and machine work, $60 for R&R of cams/valves/springs. That's a pretty good deal.

If I go with M&M, I know I won't see my head from Mike until November... :gabe:

What did Tom Hatem say? I always see the neatest cars there and I know he does the mechanical work on some of the local SCCA BMW race cars

They said nothing yet. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if no one responds; it seems like no one wants the jerb.

Gib ya about tree fiddy for the Beemer

I've already got an offer for $500.

:fa:

thoight about giving car quest a call and see if that is something they can handle? I know they do a lot and I would hink they can do everything you are needing done

I've had them do several sets of heads and have been very happy with their work. A MONTH ago I took heads over and Larry said he was retiring the next week. Fast forward to present; Pat (RallyPat) took a set of heads over last week and reported to me that the machine shop was "closed". Now I don't know if that's a indefinite closure, or just until they find someone to fill the position. I'll try and follow up on that status, I don't have a lot of Carquest "ins" other than calling over there like anyone else.

What did Tom Hatem say? I always see the neatest cars there and I know he does the mechanical work on some of the local SCCA BMW race cars

Just got a callback from Aaron at Tom Hatem...he said it would depend on what all needs to get done once they rip into the engine, but the number would be between $2500-$3000. Plus, with the current workload they would be booking the job into August.

I will say I've been very impressed with Tom Hatem. Sean (Crossle) and Northend Wrench is still my go-to as I try to DIY as much as possible...but this shop has been very professional and their shop/cars/work looks to be very good.

Still...:barf: on that price. Looks like I'm DEFINITELY doing the HG myself. :lol:

:gabe:

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Going to order some parts this week. I've got a family trip this weekend but will try to begin on the engine teardown the weekend of 6/20...

Couldn't you just rub it on the concrete like brake pads?

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys...does anyone have the following tools to safely remove the head off the block of a BMW 4- or 6-cylinder engine?

Specifically, I'm looking for:

Cylinder bolt socket (similar to http://www.ecstuning.com/ES261742/)

BMW special tool no. 11 3 240 - Camshaft lock

BMW special tool no. 11 2 300 - TDC lock (locates through bellhousing and into flywheel to lock crankshaft at TDC)

I'm going to pull the head and have Mike at M&M in Delaware check for cracks and warpage and do necessary machining, before reinstalling everything with new gaskets. Would love to have access to these tools without having to buy them, or try to do the job without them! TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I found a good head at Wirthman Bros pulled from a wrecked 318 and just picked it up for $175...right side of pic.

http://i.imgur.com/cgquVVCl.jpg

On the LEFT side of the pic is my old head (bagged to protect from the thunderstorm) from Mike. After a few weeks of it sitting at his shop, I'm happy to say he never got started on the work which is a GOOD thing as I'm happier working with a better donor head.

Will provide updates! Looking forward to getting this thing buttoned up in time for winter. :lol:

Edited by zeitgeist57