BMW blown headgasket - I feex!

zeitgeist57

Don't see any pics, but glad to see that you found one! It doesn't look like those heads are to bad to get to for dohc? I'm in the middle of head gaskets on the 4runner, and the pile of parts to get it to this point is ridiculous:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/d683aabd8dfe3bc40d017f2e335bfe9c.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped off the head with NAPA on Friday, got a call yesterday morning. 2 valves are not seating properly, but the head is in good shape. $125 to clean, machine the head, machine the two valves, and bring it back to me disassembled. $205 to reinstall everything, including new valve seals...and $250 for a full valve job on all 16 valves with it brought back reinstalled, seals and all.

Cheap as I am, I definitely went with the full machine jobber. I'll let you know when they are done. Wish I took some before pics.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright alright ALRIGHT...

Poked around on getting the head back on the engine over the last few weeks. Did a marathon session tonight and got everything together! However, I cracked a coolant nipple reattaching the myriad cooling hoses.

Fired her up...ENGINE RAN GREAT! Smoooooother than ever. Drove it around the block. Up to operating temp! Uh oh...started creeping up above normal eeeever so slightly...pulled into driveway and shut'er down.

I hear hissing of air under the hood. Sounds like it's coming from the crossover pipe with the cracked nipple. I go to tighten the hose and BAM! It pops off in spectacular fashion. Hose attached to nipple rockets off and boiling distilled water sprays. Half of nipple is in hose, a stubby part of nipple is left on the crossover pipe. :yuno:

Good news is the crossover pipe is a $9, common-failure replacement part. Ordered from RockAuto. :thumbup: Bad news is I gotta remove the fucking intake manifold to replace it! No worries...

Feeling great, and looking forward to getting this thing back on the road!