Just in time for nice weather!

My buddy bought this Olds and we restored it 20 years ago. Yesterday, he passed it on to me. Will need to go through a few things, but am super excited to be the new owner of this car.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=934&pictureid=8088

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=934&pictureid=8089

The 69's are my favorite 442. This and the Pontiac GTO were the prestige GM muscle cars of that year. And if you had a convertible, or a high-performance package, it was heaven on earth.

I hope you enjoy it to the fullest, Tim.

I would say the auto kills it for me, but in those older cars you're probably better off. That's a sexy fuckin car mayne. Only shitty thing is the sky's the limit on mods, and thoughts of making it faster will eat at you every day.. and by sky I mean your wallet.

That's a very nice vert! It's great to see one that is not rotted to the door handles in Ohio.

So it's a 442 clone, looks like the base car was a standard cutlass, but are you going to finish doing the conversion? I'm assuming the 350 is the original engine, how much do you care about originality with this car? Or could you stick an LS2 in there and not feel a twinge of remorse?

Is it a jetway automatic or a TH350? Or a TH400?

It's originally a Cutlass S, but he did a few of the changes to make it a 442. Still need a number of other additions to complete the clone conversion.

it's all the same A-body platform so finishing the conversion is easy. As the car is I bet it makes a nice sunny day cruiser.

having been an A-body guy for a long time here are some recommendations that would make the car drive more like a 442. You can consider these all aspirational but I wanted to put the thoughts in your head in case you do need to change stuff.

- Engine. The Olds 350 is a stout engine but 442s came with 400ci mills that made about 360hp and 440 ft lbs of torque. By comparison the stock 350 in that engine bay makes about 250hp in it's top tune and about 325ftlbs of torque. you can upgrade the stock 350 with olds "rocket" parts to get 350hp out of them (remember these are all pre SAE gross numbers - modern 350 hp LS engine would deliver more hp than a stock 442 400ci). By the way, 1969 old engines should be painted gold.

- Trans. I know you said the tranny was just done not that long ago but if you find yourself needing to upgrade a good solution for a replacement is a rebuilt 200R4 out of a Buick grand national as it will have a BOP bolt pattern and 4th gear.

- Suspension. What most people don't know is that the 442 were the best handling of all the GM "A-body muscle cars". This is due to Old's use of a lot of police spec equipment in the undercarriage (most pre 1967 hardtops ran boxed convertible frames). 442s have front and rear sway bars that are different in shape and size from the ones the cutlasses use. However, if you want to go further there are two things I would consider: 1) is boxed or solid bar rear control arms (upper and lower) with a big sway bar (on my GTO I use stock style boxed with a welded sway bar but I hear the Metco solid alloy adjustable control arms are great as well). 2) front control arms. GM A-bodys have a notoriously bad camber curve. plus the stamped steel control arms are crack prone and the ball joints are a pain in the ass to change. Almost all of the modern tubular front control arms correct for this and give you excellent camber adjustment. They also get rid of bump steer.

if you want to do an accurate 442 clone here is the info you need to get started:

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/of442.htm

however, for what you would have into it chasing the rare parts like the 442 specific sway bar you could just buy a real 442. My recommendation is to beef up the suspension, put something kinda hot under the hood, and just go have a good time - but don't forget to replace those front fender emblems with 442 ones as well - other wise the car is a dead giveaway.