E85 users, come in

Geeesammy

Looking for some advice from those well versed in E85 fuel system setups and have built one on their car or have had a large hand in doing so on another persons car. Hopefully this can be a thread on down the line for others doing something similar.

My main concern is the ethanol breaking down the rubber on normal hose you'd pick up. All hoses I've seen around on Summit and other sites say they are compatible with most Alcohol based fuels.

This weekend I'm going to start piecing together the fuel system for my car. I need it to be 800 wheel capable on E85, I will not be making that within the next year, but I want it all in place so I don't have to do it all again. As of now I have my tank with a single -10 on the sump and the return as a -6 going through a bulkhead fitting that has been shoehorned onto the stock hanger.

My options are as follows.

1. I was thinking lately to run the Jegs' Pro-Flo Extreme series hose, which is SAE 30 R9 certified and accepted by NHRA. I liked this idea since while I'm building it I can just run down to Jegs and grab the fittings as I need them as well as the hose. I liked this until I saw the $10 a foot price tag. I know fuel hose would be one thing not to cheap out on, but $10 a foot is a little more than I'd like to spend. I don't mind spending that at all, but if a more economical option is available that will yield the same results I'll use that.

2. PTFE hose, but this idea is kind of a turn away as I can't really run down to Jegs and get the proper fittings or more hose if something goes wrong. Not to mention the fittings are a huge PITA to deal with. I like the fact that this stuff is pretty much guaranteed to work with ethanol and the site I've sourced it from is very reasonable on pricing, and friends have used them and never had an issue.

3. Normal cheaper AN hose and kind of risk it (at least in my eyes). I talked with Dyno Brian about his setup on his two fox bodys (which for some reason unbeknownst to me sit all the damn time) which run on ethanol and make quite a bit of power and on both he used normal stuff and never has run into an issue.

I'm hoping a few of you guys with high HP builds on corn are willing to chime in and give me some pointers/mistakes not to make on this.

Thanks in advance.

I just did the fuel system for my lightning not long ago. Ended up going with all PTFE line and fittings. Got all the stuff through summit, used summit line and summit fittings and they worked great and went together easy.

Normally if I order stuff from summit that's in stock it's here next day.... They are in Ohio after all.

I've heard of people using the normal hose and like you was saying some have had issues with the injectors getting clogged up with gunk or else fuel smell seeping through the line.

I would sit down and actually draw out the whole system so you have a better idea of what all you will actually need when it comes to getting your parts.

Get a decent set of injectors and fuel filter to go with your system too. 10 micron filter is what I'm using for my E85 setup.

I've got it laid out on a drawing in paint and have a pretty good idea of what fittings I'll need but I know once I get to it something won't pan out as I wanted.

Turns out Summit doesn't really have anything in -10 that will work for me. Not that I see at least.

I've got it laid out on a drawing in paint and have a pretty good idea of what fittings I'll need but I know once I get to it something won't pan out as I wanted.

Turns out Summit doesn't really have anything in -10 that will work for me. Not that I see at least.

Ah ok, that's good. Pretty sure I ran into the same issue having to get some 90s and stuff.

I just checked summit and yea that is odd they don't stock that size in ptfe... Guess that shoots that suggestion.

I've also been using it for years now w/o any ill effects. I have FRPP 80lb injectors that are stock on the newer cobra jet cars, A1000 pump and Aeromotive in-line filter, Aeromotive regulator and a bunch of really old (like 10 years +) Fuel hose from jegs that's always been fine. I've had it apart many times and not seen any problem in any of it.

I always wonder if people that tell you its going to ruin everything in your fuel system have ever actually used it or if they're just regurgitating something they've heard somewhere. The only thing I ever do is drop my tank at the beginning of the race season and drain out whatever I left in there from the previous year.

Honestly I wouldn't run anything else fuel-wise in my car, the last time I bought it a few weeks ago I spent $12 and got over 7 gallons at Kroger, how can you go wrong!!!!!!!!

I have used jegs black hose and aeromotive fuel filters for 4 turbo e85 years with not one issue. I run a pre pump filter and one after the pump.. my lines are a mix of -10 and -12

The pro flo stuff with white/grey striping?

All I know is that when my dad switched over to methanol he used the same -8 or -10an line he was using with CAMII and just upgraded to a huge Aeromotive fuel pump and filter.

If I recall it was just the plain rubber Jegs braided line.

only problem he ever had was the foam in the fuel cell disintegrated and clogged the filter.