Disney Vacation Experts Check in

TTQ B4U

Last minute in terms of a big trip I know but who cares.....

Wife and I are looking to leverage AAA and other items to plan a trip to Orlando and Disney. Never been there with family, many times for business though.

That said, looking for a great deal but simplicity is the key here. I would like to look at theme park tickets. Park hopper? Not sure what all that is, etc...

We'll be driving down in the family hauler not flying. Looking for cool kick ass hotels and experiences.

Not looking to spend $10k but I'm not cheapening out either. $3-6k range is fine. Will spend whatever gets us an awesome time.

Please post back insight. Thanks!

I'd agree with Casey on this one. My in-laws have a timeshare at Orange Lake and our family has been going to Disney for years. You really want someone that knows the area, or you risk getting caught in tourist traps.

If you've never taken the kids to Disney, set realistic expectations: number one McSteak is people plan for a week and plan park trips EVERY DAY; you and the kids will get exhausted. If you have 5-7 days' in Orlando, give yourself 1-2 days of no park plans just to relax. It's a sensory overload and you'll be doing a lot of walking.

I would focus on EPCOT center and Disney World to start. Stop at Downtown Disney for dinner and ice cream one night. Also, try to make it out to Celebration for lunch or dinner if you're nearby. I've never done the Universal Studios but it seems like a lot of money for just a couple decent rides. Stick with Mickey...no one does family entertainment better.

Disney would be awesome fun if it werent for all the people. Ive driven in traffic in NYC and LA.. Nothing has driven me to want to stab people like the traffic going through Orlando.

:)

Hopper for sure, I personlly love epcot though i understand its one of the less popular parts of it. I havent been in 10 years..

I'll have to have my wife chime in on this. We've gone every year for the last 5 yrs. she's got it down pretty good and knows all the angles. Biggest thing is check dates for free dining plan if your flexible

Free dining is in Sept - Nov (but not every week) and it posted a few weeks ago. There has been talk of phasing it out, and there wasn't that much availability this year, so the rumors may be true.

We've been going twice a year the last few years and we're DVC members so I can probably help a bit.

Do you plan on staying on the resort property? You may want to look into renting someone's DVC points through David's DVC Rental. You can usually get a pretty decent place at a decent price. We've also gone through a very specific travel agent for our next trip, as she seems to have good Disney deals and gets referrals from the forums. We'll be staying at Polynesian for about 200/night (which is absurd).

If you stay on the resort you get Magic Bands and you can book all your fast passes ahead of time. Also be sure to book your dining far in advance. If you have questions about some places I can give a bit of advice. They are very good about food allergies but what's available at every place is different.

We stayed in the Contemporary last year, to the tune of $900 a night for park view (only the first night, for the fireworks view) and $400 a night to look at a parking lot.

That being said, the Sheraton Vistana is nearby, and offers a Suite, so Mom & Dad have their own room :ninja:. Last time we were there, it was about $200 - $225ish a night, and worth it, all for itself.

Staying on the Tram System is nice too. Hitting up the Luau @ the Polynesian, having several of the INCLUDED drinks, then no worries home is DAMN nice. All you can eat, drink beer and wine AND a show for ~ $50 / person (at least adults)... I think it's one of the best values you will find.

Good Luck!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

We were just there the week of April 20-25. We have a 5 year old and a 9 month old. Honestly it was a waste of time. The characters don't walk around anymore. Long ass lines to meet Mickey. The rides were so so. It's super crowded. We also drove down( we have a house in Clearwater though so we just drove to Disney). For the three of us to get into the park and eat and buying toys for the girls we spent like $750 for the day.

We won't be going back anytime soon.

One oft clients is a great travel agent. He can get great deals

I've never done the Universal Studios but it seems like a lot of money for just a couple decent rides. Stick with Mickey...no one does family entertainment better.

We did both last year, and Universal was awesome IMO. Glad we did Disney, but if I only got to choose one to go back to it would be Universal hands down.

This is one of the few situations where a travel agent is a good resource. I know someone who specializes in Disney vacations of you are interested.

Came here to post this. I've been to Disney for a conference the past four years and with a person who specializes in this, you will hit all the high points. Especially since you're on such short notice

We were just there the week of April 20-25. We have a 5 year old and a 9 month old. Honestly it was a waste of time. The characters don't walk around anymore. Long ass lines to meet Mickey. The rides were so so. It's super crowded. We also drove down( we have a house in Clearwater though so we just drove to Disney). For the three of us to get into the park and eat and buying toys for the girls we spent like $750 for the day.

We won't be going back anytime soon.

One oft clients is a great travel agent. He can get great deals

This is why you need to plan your fast passes in advance. We were just there a few weeks ago (April 11-19...spring break crowds) and we never waited longer than 40 min, usually 20 min, for any ride or meeting Mickey. The rides are so so, but that's Disney. The kids love it and the food is good.

We used fast pass on space mountain ' date=' small world, some mermaid ride that the kidlet wanted to go on. You only get three of them. That leaves a lot of rides left waiting in line.[/quote']

If you use all of you Fast Passes you can go to a Fast Pass+ kiosk and get more (if they are available).

You can also ask for a parent swap pass when you get in the normal line, if your 5 year old wants to go in a ride your younger one can't. Your kid gets to ride twice (once with each parent) and the second time you go through the Fast Pass line.

Also, you should plan your Fast Passes based on what the popular rides are, then plan your stand by rides around times where the line isn't as bad (not always an option).

This is one of the few situations where a travel agent is a good resource. I know someone who specializes in Disney vacations of you are interested.

IMO, only use a travel agent who has been to Disney and specializes in it.

I have taken my son by myself the past few years and really enjoy it. We have stayed on site and I really enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip. We are headed back 11/29 for two weeks.

There is so much information it's hard to get it all on short notice, but first place to start is do you want to stay on-site or off-site? Pros and cons for both. I really like staying at Disney, it immerses you in the magic and you really don't have to worry about a thing. I didn't drive anywhere, no traffic, no parking, no trying to drive home after a long day at the park. Never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for a bus. Off-site of course is cheaper, but with your budget it'd be super easy to stay on site for 10 days or so.

When to go is the next biggest question. IMO, I'll never go when school is out. It's waaaay too crowded and hot. October-April is probably the best times to go except holiday week/ends. Free dining time is awesome, but I just pay for the Disney Dining Plan myself during a time it's not offered. Free dining can cause a pain to actually get reservations, which if you want good ones typically have to be made 180 days before you get there.

Fast passes need scheduled 60 days out. GO FOR ROPE DROP (be there when the park opens) you'll get so much done in the first few hours. wdweasy.com for crowd prediction calendars. Try to see the place through your kids eyes, don't worry about the money spent, it's already gone. Don't be the anal parent who wants to do everything b/c they spent so much on it already, you won't be able to see/do everything.

Only 194 days left until we go back, I really need to look into DVC with the amount we've spent the last few years.

Edited by verse

IMO, only use a travel agent who has been to Disney and specializes in it.

I have taken my son by myself the past few years and really enjoy it. We have stayed on site and I really enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip. We are headed back 11/29 for two weeks.

There is so much information it's hard to get it all on short notice, but first place to start is do you want to stay on-site or off-site? Pros and cons for both. I really like staying at Disney, it immerses you in the magic and you really don't have to worry about a thing. I didn't drive anywhere, no traffic, no parking, no trying to drive home after a long day at the park. Never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for a bus. Off-site of course is cheaper, but with your budget it'd be super easy to stay on site for 10 days or so.

When to go is the next biggest question. IMO, I'll never go when school is out. It's waaaay too crowded and hot. October-April is probably the best times to go except holiday week/ends. Free dining time is awesome, but I just pay for the Disney Dining Plan myself during a time it's not offered. Free dining can cause a pain to actually get reservations, which if you want good ones typically have to be made 180 days before you get there.

Fast passes need scheduled 60 days out. GO FOR ROPE DROP (be there when the park opens) you'll get so much done in the first few hours. wdweasy.com for crowd prediction calendars. Try to see the place through your kids eyes, don't worry about the money spent, it's already gone. Don't be the anal parent who wants to do everything b/c they spent so much on it already, you won't be able to see/do everything.

Only 194 days left until we go back, I really need to look into DVC with the amount we've spent the last few years.

I agree with all of the above.

We bought our DVC as a re-sale and got a much better price than buying new, you just can't use it for Disney Cruise Line. We bought at the tail end of the recession so prices were way down too.

Jon, great write-up above.

I will concur that my wife does all the planning...Fast Pass is essential and plotting out ahead of time where to go is key. I just keep an eye on the kids and have as much fun as I can myself. Haven't been back to Magic Kingdom since FantasyLand was finished.

If you REALLY want the ultimate Mickey joy-gasm, hit up a Disney Cruise. We went on our first one last summer and it was amazing. Balcony room for only 4 days/3 nights was over $4k but worth it IMO. You can bring your own libations on the ship into your room so all I'm overpaying for is the food...not my Tito's-on-the-rocks. :)

- Avoid the Magic Kingdom on Monday and Sunday, that is when its most busy.

- Never be afraid to ask a Cast Memeber anything, they are their to make your stay as magic filled as possible. They will give you tips and insight as well.

- Since the AK closes early, double that day up with a visit to another park that closes later in the day, hit a resort to look around, or go to Downtown Disney.

- Waterparks are best hit as soon as they open, then leave when the crowds show up.

- Speaking of waterparks, do the swim with the sharks experience, its badass

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head after only 1 cup of coffee. After working there I can say my favorite park is Epcot, I can spend 2 days at that place and enjoy it.

- Avoid the Magic Kingdom on Monday and Sunday, that is when its most busy.

There are also at least two different crowd-level calendars on the web that you can use to plan your trip. Generally they agree, but not always.

- Since the AK closes early, double that day up with a visit to another park that closes later in the day, hit a resort to look around, or go to Downtown Disney.

This works if you have a park hopper. If not, I would use this as a day to go to a different resort for dinner.

- Avoid the Magic Kingdom on Monday and Sunday, that is when its most busy.[\quote]

There are also two different crowd-level calendars on the web that you can use to plan your trip. Generally they agree, but not always.

- Since the AK closes early, double that day up with a visit to another park that closes later in the day, hit a resort to look around, or go to Downtown Disney.[\quote]

This works if you have a park hopper. If not, I would use this as a day to go to a different resort for dinner.

Yep, we used our AK day to hit a resort dinner, and then go to extended hours at the Magic Kingdom.

I planned our trip based on staying at a value resort since we would be in the parks most of the time.

Last minute in terms of a big trip I know but who cares.....

Wife and I are looking to leverage AAA and other items to plan a trip to Orlando and Disney. Never been there with family, many times for business though.

That said, looking for a great deal but simplicity is the key here. I would like to look at theme park tickets. Park hopper? Not sure what all that is, etc...

We'll be driving down in the family hauler not flying. Looking for cool kick ass hotels and experiences.

Not looking to spend $10k but I'm not cheapening out either. $3-6k range is fine. Will spend whatever gets us an awesome time.

Please post back insight. Thanks!

AAA really doesn't do very good discounts anymore to Disney, your best bet is the specials they run through Disney.

Park hopper basically means you can jump to any park you want. Otherwise your park ticket is only good to the park that you enter, no going between parks. I always have used park hopper b/c we rarely stay at the same park all day. Normally we are there when the park opens and spend the next 3 hours or so hitting up all the popular rides with minimal/no existent waits. Afterwards we'll go back to the hotel for a swim or go get some lunch. Then in the evening we head to a different park for our fast passes and dinner.

A little research and planning, while some to people can be a pain, will make your Disney vacation so much better. I'd imagine if you didn't research or plan things you wouldn't have a very good time.

When driving, you do get free parking at the Disney parks when you stay on-site, if you stay off-site I believe it's $15 per day parking. Something to add to the pros/cons list of on-site vs off-site.

Budget seems reasonable, not sure the ages of your kids or who all is going. I normally spend $2500-3500 for just me and son who is currently 8. Remember anyone who is over the age of 9 is considered a Disney adult for tickets/meal plans.

Jon, great write-up above.

I'm a kid when it comes to Disneyworld. haha I'm always down to discuss some Disneyworld.

Holy shit...who knew there was this much effort in going to Disney?

I haven't been since I was a kid and don't really plan on going again until I have a kid...but this seems like a true pain in the ass vacation!

As an adult, do you guys really have fun when you go or do you do it for your children?

-Marc