Immortan Joe's compound-charged engine

Draco-REX

so can I just gripe for a second - that one shot of the Giga Horse (the stacked 59 caddys) where you see underneath and there are two metal plates with flames and skulls cut into them...so the end times have happened and water and fuel are a rare resource but apparently a water-jet or plasma cutter is freely and easily available?

I don't know why, but compound super/turbo charged engines are plausible to me but somehow using water/fire/a lazer and a computer to cut a piece of plate steel in the apocalypse is not.

so can I just gripe for a second - that one shot of the Giga Horse (the stacked 59 caddys) where you see underneath and there are two metal plates with flames and skulls cut into them...so the end times have happened and water and fuel are a rare resource but apparently a water-jet or plasma cutter is freely and easily available?

I don't know why, but compound super/turbo charged engines are plausible to me but somehow using water/fire/a lazer and a computer to cut a piece of plate steel in the apocalypse is not.

Here's the full-size photo:

http://i.imgur.com/bmcTCpk.jpg

I think the flames and skulls look painted. And the circles appear to be cut using pretty conventional means. The edges look like they were ground down, and I think I see some straight cuts. I'd say jigsaw.

From what I've seen it sounds like George Miller wanted everything to work for real, even the flamethrower guitar.

I have a feeling the turbos didn't have impellers. I don't see wastegates. And the original blower in Mad Max was fake too. I'm sure the vehicles ran + drove. But I think I'd bet on the turbos and blowers being gutted.

Guest GMoney
I have a feeling the turbos didn't have impellers. I don't see wastegates. And the original blower in Mad Max was fake too. I'm sure the vehicles ran + drove. But I think I'd bet on the turbos and blowers being gutted.

They must be gutted... Check photo 42. A blower can not drive another blower.

Like with most hollywood vehicle props, you only have to look at them for about 5 seconds standing still to see the bullshit. They're designed to work with lots of shaky, fast-swapping angles and motion blur and all kinds of other shit going on, not as a static display.

Mad Max is and has always been about style. Unless you think it's plausible that people struggling to survive spend effort crafting elaborate costumes out of feathers and football padding.